Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: City of Flint pistol purchase permit 15 dollars and a week wait?

  1. #1
    Regular Member kyleplusitunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lennon Michigan, ,
    Posts
    533

    City of Flint pistol purchase permit 15 dollars and a week wait?

    Have a friend trying to by a pistol and this is what she told me? Is this correct??

    Normally you would get it right away but if you live in the city of flint, I guess it takes a week abd it's like 15$

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes View Post
    Have a friend trying to by a pistol and this is what she told me? Is this correct??

    Normally you would get it right away but if you live in the city of flint, I guess it takes a week abd it's like 15$

    1) You can get the permit notarized anywhere. Most banks do notary for free. Saves you $15 right there.

    2 ) You can get the permit from any police department in the state. Screw Flint. Drive to the sheriff's office and get it same day.

    3 ) You only need a permit to purchase for private sales. Perhaps look into buying from an FFL?

  3. #3
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: City of Flint pistol purchase permit 15 dollars and a week wait?

    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    1) You can get the permit notarized anywhere. Most banks do notary for free. Saves you $15 right there.

    2 ) You can get the permit from any police department in the state. Screw Flint. Drive to the sheriff's office and get it same day.

    3 ) You only need a permit to purchase for private sales. Perhaps look into buying from an FFL?
    NOTE* some banks will notarize things for a person who has a account with them. However from experience I can tell you most will not notarize a PP per unwritten policy. Most people do not know that their city building / city clerks departments almost always have a notary on staff, and will notarize city documents for citizens for free often. Flint is as always @$$hat central, so their department offices may be the exception.

    Good luck to your friend kyle. The po po been leaving you and your motorcycle alone kyle?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #4
    Regular Member kyleplusitunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lennon Michigan, ,
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    NOTE* some banks will notarize things for a person who has a account with them. However from experience I can tell you most will not notarize a PP per unwritten policy. Most people do not know that their city building / city clerks departments almost always have a notary on staff, and will notarize city documents for citizens for free often. Flint is as always @$$hat central, so their department offices may be the exception.

    Good luck to your friend kyle. The po po been leaving you and your motorcycle alone kyle?
    They have, so far, but I haven't been to any big events yet this year. Working too much.

    Thanks for the info guys!

  5. #5
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Re: City of Flint pistol purchase permit 15 dollars and a week wait?

    Fifth Third Bank will notarize PP for customers.

    Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  6. #6
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Last time I bought a pistol new (in the same county as Flint), the gun store handled the permit. All I had to do was drop of the permit to the sheriffs department. When I bought another pistol from a private seller, the sheriffs department gave me the permit that day. It is 10$ because they insist on notarizing it themselves.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

    Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

  7. #7
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: City of Flint pistol purchase permit 15 dollars and a week wait?

    Quote Originally Posted by OneForAll View Post
    Last time I bought a pistol new (in the same county as Flint), the gun store handled the permit. All I had to do was drop of the permit to the sheriffs department. When I bought another pistol from a private seller, the sheriffs department gave me the permit that day. It is 10$ because they insist on notarizing it themselves.
    Per MCL they are prohibited from forcing you to pay for the PP. Can't remember the exact MCL #. Anyone care to jump in with a cite? MORE fishing for "easy money" by local LEA.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 08-20-2013 at 09:04 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  8. #8
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Per MCL they are preempted from forcing you to pay for the PP. Can't remember the exact MCL #. Anyone care to jump in with a cite?
    Did not know that, thank you FreeInAZ. How would you go about challenging them about paying for their notarization. I paid it because my bank cost more than 10$ to drive to.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

    Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

  9. #9
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: City of Flint pistol purchase permit 15 dollars and a week wait?

    I would call the county clerk? See what they charge... and go from there. Usually Co. Sheriff's are near a county clerk. Simply ask them (sheriff) to call the county attorney to verify that they are allowed to force you to use their notary. Hassle yes, worth it to stop them from ripping people off, yes. Just remember to record everything and to be polite. I simply went to the building dept. In my old town, they always did it for free.

    ETA- this is one of the major issues with many state law's - they lack any teeth for LEA's that violate laws.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 08-20-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  10. #10
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: City of Flint pistol purchase permit 15 dollars and a week wait?

    MCL 123.1102? Being that MI occupies the entire field of firearms & their regulation/sale/tax for the state of Michigan. This would amount to a county "purchase tax" if local sheriffs are allowed to force you to use their notary at a cost vs the notary of your choice..? Not a lawyer but pretty sure this has been well established in the past.

    Man! I am so glad to be free of pistol registration!!!
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 08-20-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    I would call the county clerk? See what they charge... and go from there. Usually Co. Sheriff's are near a county clerk. Simply ask them (sheriff) to call the county attorney to verify that they are allowed to force you to use their notary. Hassle yes, worth it to stop them from ripping people off, yes. Just remember to record everything and to be polite. I simply went to the building dept. In my old town, they always did it for free.

    ETA- this is one of the major issues with many state law's - they lack any teeth for LEA's that violate laws.
    i went this route with the city of st clair, when i lived there. i challenged to chief of police and city attorney on their pistol permit charge (which they called a notary fee). they ended up relenting and posted a sign that the fee was optional and that you could get your permit notarized anywhere. and as others have stated, 5/3 notarizes for free. the branch by me didn't even ask for proof of whether or not i even had an account there.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544
    I'll add that PNC Bank had no issues with notarizing gun stuff back when I still needed pistol purchase permits.

    And I know now that my preferred banker is a gun guy (though he didn't work there then).

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    NOTE* some banks will notarize things for a person who has a account with them. However from experience I can tell you most will not notarize a PP per unwritten policy.
    I too am not sure where this is being pulled from. Charter One had no questions when I had them notarize my PP last year.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey-r View Post
    I too am not sure where this is being pulled from. Charter One had no questions when I had them notarize my PP last year.
    Ditto for Chase, have notarized several P2Ps in the past at multiple branches with no issue. They did ask if I had an account though.

    Also, I'll have to find it but I think I've still got some video of Ferndale PD trying to enforce some rules like that, ended up contacting the city attorney and submitting a FOIA in which they contradicted themselves. It was pretty glorious.

  15. #15
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: City of Flint pistol purchase permit 15 dollars and a week wait?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey-r View Post
    I too am not sure where this is being pulled from. Charter One had no questions when I had them notarize my PP last year.
    From my personal experience, you know not everything goes the same for everyone, right? Had a refusal from Chase bank in Taylor & Comerica in Allen park a few years back. Both of which I had accounts at but closed shortly afterwards and moved to a credit union which had no issues notarizing. That's how I found out about city clerks offices & building department offices doing notary services for free. I refused to pay the police anymore than they already rake in just to do their jobs. Banks are like any other business, depending on who you get to wait on you & where you are, your experiences can vary.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  16. #16
    Regular Member pawn99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sturgis, mi
    Posts
    61
    Wow thats crazy. I paid 5 then got mine the same day
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country.”
    - James Madison

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,321
    you're not supposed to have to pay anything...
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by pawn99 View Post
    Wow thats crazy. I paid 5 then got mine the same day
    Ann Arbor was $3 for a notary, or you could go across the street to the county clerk and get a free notary. Also 5 minutes from walk-in to permit in hand.

    This was ~2007, things may have changed since.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dandridge, TN
    Posts
    377
    Wouldn't have anything to do with Mayor Walling being a member of MAIG would it? Last I picked one up years ago I just walked into the sheriffs dept and got it. I really wonder if there may be some back door message that he put out to make it harder to get a gun in Flint. I am glad I moved out of the area.

  20. #20
    Regular Member pawn99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sturgis, mi
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    Ann Arbor was $3 for a notary, or you could go across the street to the county clerk and get a free notary. Also 5 minutes from walk-in to permit in hand.

    This was ~2007, things may have changed since.
    Man i wish i knew county clerks office noterized for free or i woulda took it there.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country.”
    - James Madison

  21. #21
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,251

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    MCL 123.1102? Being that MI occupies the entire field of firearms & their regulation/sale/tax for the state of Michigan. This would amount to a county "purchase tax" if local sheriffs are allowed to force you to use their notary at a cost vs the notary of your choice..? Not a lawyer but pretty sure this has been well established in the past.

    Man! I am so glad to be free of pistol registration!!!
    You SOB ing Michigander exile! How dare you rub in Our unConstitutional dilema! You should be ashamed of yourself! LOL! CARRY ON smartarse!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

  22. #22
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: City of Flint pistol purchase permit 15 dollars and a week wait?

    Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    You SOB ing Michigander exile! How dare you rub in Our unConstitutional dilema! You should be ashamed of yourself! LOL! CARRY ON smartarse!
    Hey, Jeff - you need to put together another OC event for those fine ButtMonkey's in power at Warren City Hall/PD. Those peoples heads would explode if they ever had to relocated to the great state of AZ.

    Carry on brother.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wyandotte, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    NOTE* some banks will notarize things for a person who has a account with them. However from experience I can tell you most will not notarize a PP per unwritten policy. Most people do not know that their city building / city clerks departments almost always have a notary on staff, and will notarize city documents for citizens for free often. Flint is as always @$$hat central, so their department offices may be the exception.

    Good luck to your friend kyle. The po po been leaving you and your motorcycle alone kyle?
    If the bank denies it where you have an account, ask them if it was an application for Black Entertainment Television (BET) or the United African Americans College Fund if they would deny that as well. If not tell them they need to Notarize it or you will take things down a road they don’t want to go on.
    Last edited by budlight; 08-31-2013 at 02:03 PM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clinton Twp
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by budlight View Post
    If the bank denies it where you have an account, ask them if it was an application for Black Entertainment Television (BET) or the United African Americans College Fund if they would deny that as well. If not tell them they need to Notarize it or you will take things down a road they don’t want to go on.
    Or

    Tell them you are now closing all your accounts and you want the balance of your accounts withdrawn in cash immediately so you can go to another bank.
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetal View Post
    Or

    Tell them you are now closing all your accounts and you want the balance of your accounts withdrawn in cash immediately so you can go to another bank.

    I have done that before. Told them I needed all cash right now. Walked one block down the road from TCF to my present bank.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •