• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Flint pistol purchase permit 15 dollars and a week wait?

kyleplusitunes

Have a friend trying to by a pistol and this is what she told me? Is this correct??

Normally you would get it right away but if you live in the city of flint, I guess it takes a week abd it's like 15$

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
Have a friend trying to by a pistol and this is what she told me? Is this correct??

Normally you would get it right away but if you live in the city of flint, I guess it takes a week abd it's like 15$

1) You can get the permit notarized anywhere. Most banks do notary for free. Saves you $15 right there.

2 ) You can get the permit from any police department in the state. Screw Flint. Drive to the sheriff's office and get it same day.

3 ) You only need a permit to purchase for private sales. Perhaps look into buying from an FFL?

FreeInAZ

1) You can get the permit notarized anywhere. Most banks do notary for free. Saves you $15 right there.

2 ) You can get the permit from any police department in the state. Screw Flint. Drive to the sheriff's office and get it same day.

3 ) You only need a permit to purchase for private sales. Perhaps look into buying from an FFL?

NOTE* some banks will notarize things for a person who has a account with them. However from experience I can tell you most will not notarize a PP per unwritten policy. Most people do not know that their city building / city clerks departments almost always have a notary on staff, and will notarize city documents for citizens for free often. Flint is as always @$$hat central, so their department offices may be the exception.

Good luck to your friend kyle. The po po been leaving you and your motorcycle alone kyle?

kyleplusitunes

NOTE* some banks will notarize things for a person who has a account with them. However from experience I can tell you most will not notarize a PP per unwritten policy. Most people do not know that their city building / city clerks departments almost always have a notary on staff, and will notarize city documents for citizens for free often. Flint is as always @$$hat central, so their department offices may be the exception.

Good luck to your friend kyle. The po po been leaving you and your motorcycle alone kyle?

They have, so far, but I haven't been to any big events yet this year. Working too much.

Thanks for the info guys!

OneForAll

Last time I bought a pistol new (in the same county as Flint), the gun store handled the permit. All I had to do was drop of the permit to the sheriffs department. When I bought another pistol from a private seller, the sheriffs department gave me the permit that day. It is 10$ because they insist on notarizing it themselves.

FreeInAZ

Last time I bought a pistol new (in the same county as Flint), the gun store handled the permit. All I had to do was drop of the permit to the sheriffs department. When I bought another pistol from a private seller, the sheriffs department gave me the permit that day. It is 10$ because they insist on notarizing it themselves.

Per MCL they are prohibited from forcing you to pay for the PP. Can't remember the exact MCL #. Anyone care to jump in with a cite? MORE fishing for "easy money" by local LEA. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

OneForAll

Per MCL they are preempted from forcing you to pay for the PP. Can't remember the exact MCL #. Anyone care to jump in with a cite?

Did not know that, thank you FreeInAZ. How would you go about challenging them about paying for their notarization. I paid it because my bank cost more than 10$ to drive to.

FreeInAZ

I would call the county clerk? See what they charge... and go from there. Usually Co. Sheriff's are near a county clerk. Simply ask them (sheriff) to call the county attorney to verify that they are allowed to force you to use their notary. Hassle yes, worth it to stop them from ripping people off, yes. Just remember to record everything and to be polite. I simply went to the building dept. In my old town, they always did it for free.

ETA- this is one of the major issues with many state law's - they lack any teeth for LEA's that violate laws. :(

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

MCL 123.1102? Being that MI occupies the entire field of firearms & their regulation/sale/tax for the state of Michigan. This would amount to a county "purchase tax" if local sheriffs are allowed to force you to use their notary at a cost vs the notary of your choice..? Not a lawyer but pretty sure this has been well established in the past.

Man! I am so glad to be free of pistol registration!!! :D :cool:

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I would call the county clerk? See what they charge... and go from there. Usually Co. Sheriff's are near a county clerk. Simply ask them (sheriff) to call the county attorney to verify that they are allowed to force you to use their notary. Hassle yes, worth it to stop them from ripping people off, yes. Just remember to record everything and to be polite. I simply went to the building dept. In my old town, they always did it for free.

ETA- this is one of the major issues with many state law's - they lack any teeth for LEA's that violate laws. :(

i went this route with the city of st clair, when i lived there. i challenged to chief of police and city attorney on their pistol permit charge (which they called a notary fee). they ended up relenting and posted a sign that the fee was optional and that you could get your permit notarized anywhere. and as others have stated, 5/3 notarizes for free. the branch by me didn't even ask for proof of whether or not i even had an account there.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
I'll add that PNC Bank had no issues with notarizing gun stuff back when I still needed pistol purchase permits.

And I know now that my preferred banker is a gun guy (though he didn't work there then).

jeffrey-r

NOTE* some banks will notarize things for a person who has a account with them. However from experience I can tell you most will not notarize a PP per unwritten policy.

I too am not sure where this is being pulled from. Charter One had no questions when I had them notarize my PP last year.

Evil Creamsicle

I too am not sure where this is being pulled from. Charter One had no questions when I had them notarize my PP last year.

Ditto for Chase, have notarized several P2Ps in the past at multiple branches with no issue. They did ask if I had an account though.

Also, I'll have to find it but I think I've still got some video of Ferndale PD trying to enforce some rules like that, ended up contacting the city attorney and submitting a FOIA in which they contradicted themselves. It was pretty glorious.

FreeInAZ

From my personal experience, you know not everything goes the same for everyone, right? Had a refusal from Chase bank in Taylor & Comerica in Allen park a few years back. Both of which I had accounts at but closed shortly afterwards and moved to a credit union which had no issues notarizing. That's how I found out about city clerks offices & building department offices doing notary services for free. I refused to pay the police anymore than they already rake in just to do their jobs. :rolleyes: Banks are like any other business, depending on who you get to wait on you & where you are, your experiences can vary.

Ken56

Wouldn't have anything to do with Mayor Walling being a member of MAIG would it? Last I picked one up years ago I just walked into the sheriffs dept and got it. I really wonder if there may be some back door message that he put out to make it harder to get a gun in Flint. I am glad I moved out of the area.

pawn99

Ann Arbor was $3 for a notary, or you could go across the street to the county clerk and get a free notary. Also 5 minutes from walk-in to permit in hand.

This was ~2007, things may have changed since.

Man i wish i knew county clerks office noterized for free or i woulda took it there.