Thread: Can i ship a gun from TX to WA, to myself?

Can i ship a gun from TX to WA, to myself?

So my friend is moving back to TX from WA. I'm driving down with him and flying back. I honestly don't want to check a bag flying back, so i was thinking to try and ship my gun back or leave it home. I don't like leaving it home. I do know the laws of all the states we're passing through and that wouldn't be a problem as long as i have a lock box with me.

So can i ship it in a locked container from TX to WA state? I've tried looking at shipping sites and the ATF, and it's not looking promising. It looks like ATF says i can, but have to use a common carrier, but looking at UPS it seems to say that i can't. Just thought i would check here to see if i'm missing something.
    Last edited by OCbaldguy; 08-20-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-...rms-additional

If I was flying back, I would just check it in baggage.

Edit: BTW, is this a handgun or rifle? If handgun, take it on the plane definitely.
    Last edited by golddigger14s; 08-20-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Add info
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

our just fly back with your firearm in the lock box? just check the website for the airline and TSA website for all the rules (may want to bring a copies of both for the employees at the airport).

Legally, yes; ATF regulations allow this.

However, neither UPS nor FedEx allow this any more. They changed their tariffs a year or two ago to specifically disallow it (and using suspiciously identical language, to boot).

It is legal.

Good luck actually trying it.

Suck it up and check the bag. Actually, flying with firearms is no big deal. In fact, several times I get my boarding passes much sooner because a bag containing a firearm must be checked by the counter, whereas most passengers these days are forced to use the kiosks and have a longer line.

Print out the TSA firearms regulations as well as the airline's firearms regulations. Bring them with you. It is not uncommon to get someone at the desk that does not know their own policies.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Legally, yes; ATF regulations allow this.

However, neither UPS nor FedEx allow this any more. They changed their tariffs a year or two ago to specifically disallow it (and using suspiciously identical language, to boot).
    Why even tell them what it is? It's none of their business since they can't open it anyway. I know FedEx had no problems with me shipping a gun to Taurus for service and shipping it directly back to my home. They even knew what it was and there was zero issues.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

[QUOTE=MAC702;1975434]It is legal.

Good luck actually trying it.

Suck it up and check the bag. Actually, flying with firearms is no big deal. In fact, several times I get my boarding passes much sooner because a bag containing a firearm must be checked by the counter, whereas most passengers these days are forced to use the kiosks and have a longer line.

Print out the TSA firearms regulations as well as the airline's firearms regulations. Bring them with you. It is not uncommon to get someone at the desk that does not know their own policies.[/QUOT

I have had the cops called on me at Burbank for attempting to check firearms, fortunately the Cops knew the laws and kinda laughed it off. I got home to Houston without further complications.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Why even tell them what it is? It's none of their business since they can't open it anyway. I know FedEx had no problems with me shipping a gun to Taurus for service and shipping it directly back to my home. They even knew what it was and there was zero issues.
    Ditto for my Taurus.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Why even tell them what it is? It's none of their business since they can't open it anyway. ...
    I can't cite it at the moment, but I think I have read it. I think there is a law that says when using even a common carrier you must declare a firearm when shipping it.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I have decided to check it on the flight. Thanks for the responses though, and thanks for the recommendation about printing the regs from TSA and operator.

no one has read my PDF on flying with a firearm?? It covers ATF, TSA and most major airline rules.
    http://www.washingtongunrights.com/misc/FWAF.pdf

UPS & Fed Ex stores will NOT take your firearm, however if you go to a UPS or Fed Ex Terminal, they will ship your package.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starks View Post
    no one has read my PDF on flying with a firearm?? It covers ATF, TSA and most major airline rules.

UPS & Fed Ex stores will NOT take your firearm, however if you go to a UPS or Fed Ex Terminal, they will ship your package.
    When did FedEx change? I shipped mine from a normal FedEx kinko's.

When did FedEx change? I shipped mine from a normal FedEx kinko's.
    I just tried to ship my Taurus 44 and the UPS satellite office guy insisted it was unlawful for him to take the gun. I corrected him and left.

As a side note all my gun needs is the thumb release for the cylinder evidently the screw vibrated out while four wheeling in MT. I am not happy with Taurus $60 to ship it back and 6 to 8 weeks to return it for a 2 minute repair and a $5 part. I took it in to a friend that is a gunsmith and they will not sell him or me the part. I will never purchase another Taurus and will probably sell this one once it is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starks View Post

Correct, Bill.

Many of the stores (nearly all) are franchises and do not perform this service for various reasons. Actual corporate terminals will do this with ease....

Personally I fly with the firearm. And I have on many occasions...
    Live Free or Die!

Not to beat a dead horse, but flying with a firearm is no big deal. Flying with Southwest means no checked bag fees. I actually prefer to fly with a firearm because I get to watch the inspection process. I have also had no issue shipping a firearm via FedEx. A clerk at UPS refused to take the package and made up a bunch of rules so I went elsewhere. Never shipped to myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    I just tried to ship my Taurus 44 and the UPS satellite office guy insisted it was unlawful for him to take the gun. I corrected him and left.

As a side note all my gun needs is the thumb release for the cylinder evidently the screw vibrated out while four wheeling in MT. I am not happy with Taurus $60 to ship it back and 6 to 8 weeks to return it for a 2 minute repair and a $5 part. I took it in to a friend that is a gunsmith and they will not sell him or me the part. I will never purchase another Taurus and will probably sell this one once it is back.
    Are you the original buyer? When I sent mine in, Taurus emailed me a fedex label. I got a box put the label on, sent it in. One week later it was delivered to my house.

BTW, to stay on topic, just check it on the plane.
    Last edited by golddigger14s; 08-21-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Are you the original buyer? When I sent mine in, Taurus emailed me a fedex label. I got a box put the label on, sent it in. One week later it was delivered to my house.

Same experience for me. Perhaps the key here is to contact Taurus first to receive a warranty shipping label. Which would mean if it's not going to the manufacturer for service, maybe FedEx would indeed have a problem with it.

I'm flying Delta, so unfortunately a checked bag is $25. I'll eat it, still cheaper than shipping it.

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post

Taurus offered to send me a label for $60 if I could not get it shipped for less.

I agree check the firearm with your luggage. Just put the firearm in a locked airline approved box inside your suitcase, do this at the check in counter. That way you only pay for one bag. I am assuming you will have a suitcase flying home. Make sure the locked box is approved by that airline, airlines rules are different from airline to airline.

Don't bother shipping a handgun from UPS in Fife unless you have a copy of the FFL of the person receiving the gun.

I tried shipping a pistol to a custom shop for work and UPS would not take it unless I had the ship to persons FFL.

I went to FED-Ex. They shipped it, not problem. Just $84!

Re: Can i ship a gun from TX to WA, to myself?

Most of the time, no big deal. Some of the time, very big deal.

Ive had a firearm stolen from a checked bag before. Took the locked case and all. Not the first, but certainly the last time I've flown with a firearm.

Just something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by caoxinfinity View Post
    Most of the time, no big deal. Some of the time, very big deal.

Ive had a firearm stolen from a checked bag before. Took the locked case and all. Not the first, but certainly the last time I've flown with a firearm.

Just something to keep in mind.
    What were the events surrounding that, or it just disappeared and no one knew anything? Do you think it was stolen by someone that overheard you checking it, or did they put a special tag on it or something?

I'm paranoid.
    Last edited by OCbaldguy; 08-22-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Honestly i'm worried because i have a soft sided bag and they will want to tag it with a conditional acceptance tag it looks like.

Re: Can i ship a gun from TX to WA, to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by OCbaldguy View Post
    What were the events surrounding that, or it just disappeared and no one knew anything? Do you think it was stolen by someone that overheard you checking it, or did they put a special tag on it or something?

I'm paranoid.
    During check-in I declared my weapon and verified it was not loaded. Once approves by the airline staff, the pistol was locked in its case and placed in my luggage. I did notice that the baggage tag they put on my luggage had a handwritten "F" in permanent marker. I can only assume the "F" indicated firearm. The bag was checked with success. When I arrived at my destination I picked up my luggage at baggage claim. I got my bag and the pistol was gone, case and all. I notified airport security personnel immediately, as well as airline staff.

Long story short, no one seemed to care to do anything about it. After several months of emails and phone calls I was reimbursed for my loss.

I've never heard of that happening to anyone else...but please don't think it can't happen.

If it matters, the flight was on Spirit Airlines from Miami to Orlando. The pistol was a Beretta M9.

Was it locked in a hard suitcase or in a hard case secured to the luggage somehow? Did you report it to police as stolen? Pelican cases work great for locking your luggage. The case is locked and can't be opened unless your there.

Gun vault also has some small pistol cases that lock and contain a cable that could be attached to your luggage.
    Last edited by Motofixxer; 08-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info