• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can i ship a gun from TX to WA, to myself?

OCbaldguy

So my friend is moving back to TX from WA. I'm driving down with him and flying back. I honestly don't want to check a bag flying back, so i was thinking to try and ship my gun back or leave it home. I don't like leaving it home. I do know the laws of all the states we're passing through and that wouldn't be a problem as long as i have a lock box with me.

So can i ship it in a locked container from TX to WA state? I've tried looking at shipping sites and the ATF, and it's not looking promising. It looks like ATF says i can, but have to use a common carrier, but looking at UPS it seems to say that i can't. Just thought i would check here to see if i'm missing something.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...licensed-persons#shipping-firearms-additional

If I was flying back, I would just check it in baggage.

Edit: BTW, is this a handgun or rifle? If handgun, take it on the plane definitely.

Last edited:

911Grunt

our just fly back with your firearm in the lock box? just check the website for the airline and TSA website for all the rules (may want to bring a copies of both for the employees at the airport).

KBCraig

Legally, yes; ATF regulations allow this.

However, neither UPS nor FedEx allow this any more. They changed their tariffs a year or two ago to specifically disallow it (and using suspiciously identical language, to boot).

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It is legal.

Good luck actually trying it.

Suck it up and check the bag. Actually, flying with firearms is no big deal. In fact, several times I get my boarding passes much sooner because a bag containing a firearm must be checked by the counter, whereas most passengers these days are forced to use the kiosks and have a longer line.

Print out the TSA firearms regulations as well as the airline's firearms regulations. Bring them with you. It is not uncommon to get someone at the desk that does not know their own policies.

tombrewster421

Legally, yes; ATF regulations allow this.

However, neither UPS nor FedEx allow this any more. They changed their tariffs a year or two ago to specifically disallow it (and using suspiciously identical language, to boot).

Why even tell them what it is? It's none of their business since they can't open it anyway. I know FedEx had no problems with me shipping a gun to Taurus for service and shipping it directly back to my home. They even knew what it was and there was zero issues.

Jeff Hayes

It is legal.

Good luck actually trying it.

Suck it up and check the bag. Actually, flying with firearms is no big deal. In fact, several times I get my boarding passes much sooner because a bag containing a firearm must be checked by the counter, whereas most passengers these days are forced to use the kiosks and have a longer line.

Print out the TSA firearms regulations as well as the airline's firearms regulations. Bring them with you. It is not uncommon to get someone at the desk that does not know their own policies.[/QUOT

I have had the cops called on me at Burbank for attempting to check firearms, fortunately the Cops knew the laws and kinda laughed it off. I got home to Houston without further complications.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Why even tell them what it is? It's none of their business since they can't open it anyway. I know FedEx had no problems with me shipping a gun to Taurus for service and shipping it directly back to my home. They even knew what it was and there was zero issues.

Ditto for my Taurus.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Why even tell them what it is? It's none of their business since they can't open it anyway. ...

I can't cite it at the moment, but I think I have read it. I think there is a law that says when using even a common carrier you must declare a firearm when shipping it.

OCbaldguy

I have decided to check it on the flight. Thanks for the responses though, and thanks for the recommendation about printing the regs from TSA and operator.

Jeff Hayes

When did FedEx change? I shipped mine from a normal FedEx kinko's.

I just tried to ship my Taurus 44 and the UPS satellite office guy insisted it was unlawful for him to take the gun. I corrected him and left.

As a side note all my gun needs is the thumb release for the cylinder evidently the screw vibrated out while four wheeling in MT. I am not happy with Taurus $60 to ship it back and 6 to 8 weeks to return it for a 2 minute repair and a $5 part. I took it in to a friend that is a gunsmith and they will not sell him or me the part. I will never purchase another Taurus and will probably sell this one once it is back.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
no one has read my PDF on flying with a firearm?? It covers ATF, TSA and most major airline rules.
http://www.washingtongunrights.com/misc/FWAF.pdf

UPS & Fed Ex stores will NOT take your firearm, however if you go to a UPS or Fed Ex Terminal, they will ship your package.

Correct, Bill.

Many of the stores (nearly all) are franchises and do not perform this service for various reasons. Actual corporate terminals will do this with ease....

Personally I fly with the firearm. And I have on many occasions...

acmariner99

Not to beat a dead horse, but flying with a firearm is no big deal. Flying with Southwest means no checked bag fees. I actually prefer to fly with a firearm because I get to watch the inspection process. I have also had no issue shipping a firearm via FedEx. A clerk at UPS refused to take the package and made up a bunch of rules so I went elsewhere. Never shipped to myself though.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I just tried to ship my Taurus 44 and the UPS satellite office guy insisted it was unlawful for him to take the gun. I corrected him and left.

As a side note all my gun needs is the thumb release for the cylinder evidently the screw vibrated out while four wheeling in MT. I am not happy with Taurus $60 to ship it back and 6 to 8 weeks to return it for a 2 minute repair and a $5 part. I took it in to a friend that is a gunsmith and they will not sell him or me the part. I will never purchase another Taurus and will probably sell this one once it is back.

Are you the original buyer? When I sent mine in, Taurus emailed me a fedex label. I got a box put the label on, sent it in. One week later it was delivered to my house.

BTW, to stay on topic, just check it on the plane.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Are you the original buyer? When I sent mine in, Taurus emailed me a fedex label. I got a box put the label on, sent it in. One week later it was delivered to my house.

Same experience for me. Perhaps the key here is to contact Taurus first to receive a warranty shipping label. Which would mean if it's not going to the manufacturer for service, maybe FedEx would indeed have a problem with it.

Jeff Hayes

Taurus offered to send me a label for $60 if I could not get it shipped for less.

I agree check the firearm with your luggage. Just put the firearm in a locked airline approved box inside your suitcase, do this at the check in counter. That way you only pay for one bag. I am assuming you will have a suitcase flying home. Make sure the locked box is approved by that airline, airlines rules are different from airline to airline.

Bill45

Don't bother shipping a handgun from UPS in Fife unless you have a copy of the FFL of the person receiving the gun.

I tried shipping a pistol to a custom shop for work and UPS would not take it unless I had the ship to persons FFL.

I went to FED-Ex. They shipped it, not problem. Just $84!