• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you paying for al Jazeera?

eye95

Just a minor point: Al Jazeera English is an entirely new network. While it's owned by al Jazeera, they're not the same -- no more than Fox Business is the same as Fox News.

Yeah, cuz upper management over both does not influence the general direction of both.

Anyway, that point is moot. If I pay for a package that has al Jazeera, I am supporting al Jazeera, both the immediate propaganda arm, and the parent organization. No. I won't. You want it? You pay for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

eye95

Not true. AT&T and Time Warner Cable already anticipated consumer backlash against this move and dropped the channel. If DirecTV does not drop the channel, I will switch to one of those two. If either one of them picks it up (in other than an a la carte way, and there are already a la carte stations on many systems; that is a viable possibility), I will simply go with the other.

Worst case scenario, I drop all cable/satellite and go OTA. I am actually doing OTA right now at my Ohio address. DirecTV is at my Alabama address. We will either be moving that service up here, or getting a temporary service in Alabama until the move is complete, and then getting AT&T or Time Warner up here.

There are always options. We should all be active consumerists. Unfortunately, those who stand up to government often just roll over to corporate America.

BTW, yours is the first reply in this thread that I respected. Thank you.

<o>

1245A Defender

Uh?

Not true. AT&T and Time Warner Cable already anticipated consumer backlash against this move and dropped the channel. If DirecTV does not drop the channel, I will switch to one of those two. If either one of them picks it up (in other than an a la carte way, and there are already a la carte stations on many systems; that is a viable possibility), I will simply go with the other.

Worst case scenario, I drop all cable/satellite and go OTA. I am actually doing OTA right now at my Ohio address. DirecTV is at my Alabama address. We will either be moving that service up here, or getting a temporary service in Alabama until the move is complete, and then getting AT&T or Time Warner up here.

There are always options. We should all be active consumerists. Unfortunately, those who stand up to government often just roll over to corporate America.

<o>

I have followed this whole thread...
And BTW,,, this channel is on my cable, Ill look ,,, or not,, when I want.
Also BTW my cable dropped AZN TV,,, a channel I enjoyed!

Bolded,,, Who were you talking to??

EMNofSeattle

Al Jazeera did not support the 9/11 attacks, they'd aired two videos released by terrorist leaders after the attacks,

Now I understand that you're probably a right wing republican who watches Fox News and thus cannot reasonably expected to know the difference between editorial stance and journalism as Fox News does not distinguish between the two so Im just bringing this up for your information.

Moving on

OC for ME

<o>
Clarity begets understanding. I have Charter and no other option for high speed internet. AT&T U-verse is very cost prohibitive, for TV in my view, and even if it were not cost prohibitive, Charter would jack up the phone and Internet rates iI pay for not "bundling." Currently Al Jazeera is not listed on Charter's channel line up. moot point for me, for now. I have sent a note to Charter expressing my concern for any business that caters to terror/terrorist enablers, especially for money.

jeffrey-r

Al Jazeera did not support the 9/11 attacks, they'd aired two videos released by terrorist leaders after the attacks,

Now I understand that you're probably a right wing republican who watches Fox News and thus cannot reasonably expected to know the difference between editorial stance and journalism as Fox News does not distinguish between the two so Im just bringing this up for your information.

Moving on

I almost posted a similar message yesterday but deleted it instead of submitting. I feel like all the Al Jezeera hate mostly stems from the fact that those first few Osama videos that we saw had "Al Jazeera" plastered on the bottom, so us stupid Americans just presumed that Al Jazeera supported or was the mouthpiece for the Taliban. (At least that's what I thought at first.)

Now though, when I hear any knee-jerk anti-Al Jazeera rhetoric I just chalk it up to the general anti-Muslim position that most of Right / Christian / Gun Owner demographic seems to have. (forgive the broad brush)

Tacitus42

I almost posted a similar message yesterday but deleted it instead of submitting. I feel like all the Al Jezeera hate mostly stems from the fact that those first few Osama videos that we saw had "Al Jazeera" plastered on the bottom, so us stupid Americans just presumed that Al Jazeera supported or was the mouthpiece for the Taliban. (At least that's what I thought at first.)

Now though, when I hear any knee-jerk anti-Al Jazeera rhetoric I just chalk it up to the general anti-Muslim position that most of Right / Christian / Gun Owner demographic seems to have. (forgive the broad brush)

Could your and a few other anti American, US military hating posters support for AJ be rooted in anti-Semitism? Hmmmm?

Tacitus42

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...st-jewish-participation-in-american-politics/
"On its website, Al Jazeera America writes that it aims to “maintain credibility through impartial, accurate and comprehensive representation of the story” while a promotional video says “Al Jazeera’s journalistic integrity knows no borders.”

Considering those claims, it’s notable that the first guest Al Jazeera America chose to interview on its launch day was a notorious Israel-bashing Harvard professor, Stephen Walt."

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...st-jewish-participation-in-american-politics/
"On its website, Al Jazeera America writes that it aims to “maintain credibility through impartial, accurate and comprehensive representation of the story” while a promotional video says “Al Jazeera’s journalistic integrity knows no borders.”

Considering those claims, it’s notable that the first guest Al Jazeera America chose to interview on its launch day was a notorious Israel-bashing Harvard professor, Stephen Walt."

I don't know anything about Stephen Walt, but a quick google search does not seem to make this seem like as much of a problem as Glenn is making it

KBCraig

If I pay for a package that has al Jazeera, I am supporting al Jazeera, both the immediate propaganda arm, and the parent organization. No. I won't. You want it? You pay for it.

It is absolutely your choice, and I don't think anyone here will say you should pay for something you don't want.

Personally, I'd rather pay for al Jazeera, which in its infancy showed Arabs cheering 9/11 (which U.S. major media then re-broadcast, by the way), than for ABC/NCB/CBS/Fox/PBS, which has cheered the U.S. government every step of the way since then.

sudden valley gunner

I went to the bookstore they stocked anti gun material damn I guess I'll never go there again because by me buying a book from them I am inadvertently supporting viewpoints that are against my beliefs.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I went to the bookstore they stocked anti gun material damn I guess I'll never go there again because by me buying a book from them I am inadvertently supporting viewpoints that are against my beliefs.

+1

I think I'll go through all my philosophy books and toss any that recommend non-violence as a first-attempt solution since they can be misused by anti-gunners. You know, books like the Bible. I don't want anybody to think I support His ideals.

/rhetorical device

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

For what it's worth; I've been listening/watching NPR, Al Jazeera, and the BBC for the last six years. And when I personally have compared the day's highlights and news coverage from those three, compared to FOX, MSNBC, and CNN, I've found the latter three to be, by far, the most uninformed, and lazy media provider that is provided through Internet, Radio, and T.V. means. Back during the very start of the "Arab spring" movement in Tunisia, I recall the BBC, and NPR, reporting on the events and the impact for the civilian population, along with the international response, two weeks prior to what MSNBC, CNN, or FOX came out with. Another example, when it came to Nigeria's military invasion of Somalia last year, the BBC, NPR, and Al Jazeera kept up-to-the-hour reports on the conflict, and the initial French military support of Nigeria. None of the major U.S. media outlets reported on the conflict, or anything more than a couple words streaming across the bottom of a T.V. screen in the scroll bar.

The big U.S. media is only really good for U.S.-centric politically charged issues, and only reports on international events that have a direct correlation to the U.S. government, or military in general.

Myself personally, I'd give a charitable donation to the BBC, Al Jazeera, and NPR radio, to keep them afloat, mainly because they, and many many other international, and small-scale news publications, make an effort to bring teh listeners, and readers, in the U.S., a in-depth view of what is going on in the world.

Without delving into a aggressive stance, or bordering racial-superiority complexes as to why one media outlet is horrible and everything else is better, I've noticed that a stark portion of the people who adamantly support FOX, MS/NBC, CNN, CBS, etc., are amongst the type of people who have no concern for the events, conflicts, or news of anyone, or anything, outside of the United States that doesn't involve the almighty U.S. government, or the god-like U.S. Military forces. And although that in itself can be dismissed as being patriotic, it's also selfish, greedy, and intellectually back-wards. *Braces for the impact of all the political and integrity-bashing slurs, for that last bit*.

My apologies for straying off the beaten path, but I had to get that quip off my chest. I'm just as much of an American as anyone else on these forums, but I strive to broaden my mental horizons by keeping up to date about what goes on in the world. Not to sound condescending, that is. Hey, CNN, FOX, MS/NBC, HLN, CBS, ABC, They're all good for when a person wants to turn on the T.V., and get the run-down on the day's events to the tune of their respective political affiliation(s), and don't rightly care about what goes on outside of our borders. But for someone who wants to know, and cares to know, that Myanmar (formerly Burma), is still controlled by a mixed-military/civilian dictatorship for the last 22 years, or so, and a former freedom fighter and democratic protestor was summarily executed in the middle of a international news event, with a hatchet, for trying to protest against that countries attempts to acquire Biological weapons; or wants to know the comedic value of the winner of Munich's beer-fest drinking contest. Then they have no easier sources to turn to than Al Jazeera's T.V. channel, BBC's website, or NPR's radio channel (usually hosted/streamed through a local college/university's radio station).

I sincerely wish everyone would stop bickering about which news station is awesome, and which one is scum. Each station has its good parts, and each station has its bad side. But to say that Al Jazeera supports terrorists, and to hold up the banner of CNN/NBC/etc, is contradictive to their words. I distinctly recall the U.S. Major media outlets, a short-time after 9/11, and the months following, using scare tactics, and anti-Arabic rhetoric in a bid to rile up the American people to urge Congress and the FedGov to take military action. I have witnessed U.S. Major media stations cheering on U.S. troops, and military action in the opening days of the bombing and invasion of both Afghanistan, and Iraq. And I recall all the people and the interviews with people, and think-tanks, and video footage displayed on FOX, NBC, CNN, that made the U.S. look awesome and our military look like glorious fighters for the correct God, and we all, like it or not, have watched the news stream of an Apache Helicopter, or F/A 18, utterly destroy an entire section of an arabic town, and at one time or another cheered, or praised the actions of those infantry and tank units in the field when they reported 'eliminating' a 'terrorist' unit.

It is oft said that a terrorist, is just an imperialist's word for a 'freedom fighter', not to delve into the politically correct/incorrect word of names and terms, but seriously.

If you're gonna hate on Al Jazeera for "supporting terrorists", then you better step up to the plate and send some of that hate to the U.S. media outlets, for supporting 'state-sponsored terrorism'.

Inb4; "Liberal commie!" "anti-american f*g!" "don't like it, leave!" "terrorist supporter" and/or "Dern anti-american LIBERAL!".

eye95

Your purchase did not involuntarily contain the book to the benefit of its author. Bad analogy.

<o>

OC for ME

For what it's worth; <snip>
NPR is supported by tax dollars. No need to waste your money on them.

All the "big" "news" outlets are "moderate"; Fox, to liberal; all others.

How does Myanmar impact the quality of the roads in your state? What are you going to do with that knowledge? What can you do to affect change in Myanmar? Send in US troops? If we ain't gunna do anything about it then why be concerned with it.

France going into Nigeria? The French have been in Africa for going on 200 years now. It is not news anymore. Would you rather we go into Nigeria?

The Interwebs will get you closer to the story, local news coverage, if any, about a beer-fest drinking contest, in Germany. How about a beer-fest drinking contest at your local university? Germany, yepper, they got beer and beer drinkers, just like we do.

Watch AJ, the Beeb, listen to NPR. No problem.

But, AJ is out of Qatar, Qatar is in the middle east. Stereo typing? Guilt by association, proximity, geography? You bet. When Qatar starts ratting out their neighbors cuz they are there, and folks talk, then I'll reevaluate my disdain and contempt for the middle east and its inhabitants. I've been there and it is the 8th century meets cell phone.

By the way, if the Taliban, or AQ were actually fighting for freedom, like the freedom you and I enjoy, for the most part, I would agree to that misused phrase. But, AQ and the Taliban are not fighting for freedom, quite the opposite in fact, and any mention of AQ or the Taliban in any sort of a positive light, even in the name of "impartial news coverage"(BS no such critter) is enabling terror and supporting terrorists.

AJ will receive a warm welcome from liberals and closet liberals disguised as moderates. Your words are proof of this.

EMNofSeattle

Your purchase did not involuntarily contain the book to the benefit of its author. Bad analogy.

<o>

But anti-gun material doesn't generally sell as well as other genres.

so if you buy

pro-gun material
romantic comedies
movies
history
political material
etc
etc
etc

you are subsidizing the extreme political material that rarely sells by buying higher profit items.

Besides, I think Al-jazeera pays the cable company to have the company carry the channel on their normal packages and makes money back from advertising like most other channels do, so actually "you" are not paying for Al-Jazeera unless you actually watch it and buy stuff from their advertisers.

EMNofSeattle

For what it's worth; I've been listening/watching NPR, Al Jazeera, and the BBC for the last six years. And when I personally have compared the day's highlights and news coverage from those three, compared to FOX, MSNBC, and CNN....

Snipped

I personally like the CBC whenever I stay in Idaho or Montana where I get better reception I tune in there for news.

OC for ME

But anti-gun material doesn't generally sell as well as other genres.

so if you buy

pro-gun material
romantic comedies
movies
history
political material
etc
etc
etc

you are subsidizing the extreme political material that rarely sells by buying higher profit items.

Besides, I think Al-jazeera pays the cable company to have the company carry the channel on their normal packages and makes money back from advertising like most other channels do, so actually "you" are not paying for Al-Jazeera unless you actually watch it and buy stuff from their advertisers.
NO, you are paying your service provider who airs AJ. So, you are paying for AJ to be aired. It matters not what the relationship between your service provider and their content providers is.

onus

Will you also be dropping services that include Amerikan propaganda organs like CNN, Fox, ABC, NBC, and CBS?

One I like so far is RT (Russian Times).

can you provide an example of how cnn, fox, abc, nbc or cbs are "American propaganda organs" as compared to Al-Jazeera ?