• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hand gun against a bear.

Firearms Iinstuctor

posted 21 August 2013 16:53

Warning shots scared the bear away I wonder if someone else might end up regretting the fact he didn't kill the bear later on.

Is it a flaw in AKs DLP law that the shooter must always recover the skin and turn it in. Seems to be it would be a very public service to have killed this bear.

Instead of getting penalized for ridding the country of a dangerous animal.

http://www.freerepublic.com/fo...f-chat/3056944/posts

White Mountains trail closed after grizzly accosts family
NewsMiner ^ | August 20, 2013 | Tim Mowry

FAIRBANKS - A hiking trail in the White Mountains National Recreation Area north of Fairbanks has been closed after a big grizzly bear accosted a family picking berries along the trail last weekend.

The Bureau of Land Management temporarily closed the Table Top Mountain Trail off Nome Creek Road about 45 miles northeast of Fairbanks while it investigates the incident. The 3-mile loop trail is a popular hiking and berry-picking destination.

BLM spokesman Craig McCaa said the bear, described as a large grizzly, approached the family of four, which included two small children, several times as they were picking berries near their camp on Saturday night. The father fired several warning shots at the animal with a .44-caliber handgun to scare it away but the bear persisted with its aggressive behavior, McCaa said.

“They pulled camp and hustled down the trail and heard a crashing noise in the brush,” he said.

The bear then evidently charged the father, who put himself between the bear and his family, McCaa said. The man fired his last two shots at the bear but wasn’t sure if he hit it.

“It was quite dark at that point,” McCaa said.

According to a narrative written by BLM ranger Jonathan Priday, who interviewed the man, the bear “made an unnatural movement into some thick vegetation” after the father shot at it. Priday checked the trail on Sunday but found no sign of the bear, McCaa said.

Priday and the father returned to the area on Tuesday to see if they could find any sign of the bear and to determine if the bear was possibly wounded or killed.

The man reported the shooting to Alaska Wildlife Troopers as a defense of life and property shooting and plans to skin the bear if he finds it, as law requires, McCaa said.

BLM put up signs to alert hikers and berry pickers that the trail is closed because of the bear encounter, McCaa said.

It’s possible the bear is the same one that uprooted and pilfered a pair of bear-proof trash cans at the nearby Ophir Creek Campground back in June. Nobody ever saw that bear but tracks on the road indicated it was a large grizzly, McCaa said. The trail is about two miles from the campground.

“We don’t know if it’s the same bear or not,” he said. “There’s no way to tell, especially since nobody ever saw that bear

skeith5

I think the warning shots were a mistake. A .44 against a large grizzly is probably a little underpowered. If you've only got 6 shots or so you should really make them count. The guy is nothing but lucky.

stealthyeliminator

I think the warning shots were a mistake. A .44 against a large grizzly is probably a little underpowered. If you've only got 6 shots or so you should really make them count. The guy is nothing but lucky.

I think you're right... When I read 'fired his last two shots at the bear' I was thinking.. Oh my.. That's not a good situation to be in.

I have actually wondered how many 9mm rounds it would likely take to take down a bear. I've also wondered what the best target would be.. Head, neck, simply center mass? For some reason I was thinking head shots were not recommended on a bear because of the angle of their skulls but maybe that was just a myth type thing?

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I heard a story about a guy who killed a bear with a .45.

I wasn't there and the story wasn't specific, but reading between the lines it sounded like he dumped 2 mags out of a 1911 before finally stopping the bear.

Lurchiron

When in doubt of your gun's ability; stick to the old adage... You don't have to outrun the bear, just your buddy.

Git-R-Done.jpg:cool:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Is it a flaw in AKs DLP law that the shooter must always recover the skin and turn it in. Seems to be it would be a very public service to have killed this bear.

Well, you see, Mr. Ranger, after I shot the bear I realized that before I could skin the sucker out I ought to go home and change my pants. And on the way home I realized that I was shaking so much that it would be better if I had something "to calm my nerves". So I stopped in at Joe's on the way home, and after convincing the bartender that I was not already so drunk I did not have control of myself he called a bunch of guys over for me to tell the story to. As other guys wandered in I had to tell the story over and over again - and each time I did folks bought me a drink or three and slapped me on the back while calling me a hero. By the time I finally managed to get out of Joe's it was closing time and I still needed to go home and clean up and change my clothes. I had to call three different taxis to take me home before one would agree that the reason I needed to clean up and change my clothes was not because I was so drunk. And he got on the radio and told all the other taxi drivers in town about me and the bear, and they all wanted to meet me and hear the story first hand. And at least one of them stopped off and got a six-pack or three, so by the time I finally got home I was really feeling the effects and I'm pretty sure that instead of heading straight to the bathroom and cleaning up I must have gone into the bedroom and fallen asleep right there on the bed. Which woke up the wife who would not believe me when I tried to tell her that the reason I needed to clean up and change my clothes was not because I was drunk but because of the bear. She said something about teaching me to tell the truth and to not come home stinking drunk, which was why I decided to sleep outside. And because it gets cold at night I went and curled up in the car, which is where the cop found me because he said I must have kept hitting the brake pedal because it was the flashingbrake lights that got his attention. And then I had to tell the story all over agaion - and he didn't believe me any more than my wife did, so I ended up sleeping for the rest of the night in the drunk tank - which really means I didn't get any sleep at all. So when I got released I went home and started to get cleaned up so I could change my clothes but it looks like I fell asleep in the shower - well, until the hot water ran out. When I got hit by the cold water I must have woken up with a start and run out of the shower - except I kept on running until I fell down when I tripped on the kid's tricycle in the front yard and hit my head, passing out. That old biddy that lives across the street must have called the cops because the next thing I remember I was being stuffed bare-butt nekkid into the back of a squad car and going to the police station again. They gave me a blanket to put around myself and threw me in a big holding cell with a bunch of other guys already in there. They wantyed to know how come I got arrested so I started telling the story of the bear and Joe's and the taxi drivers and sleeping in the car and being thrown into the drunk tank, and it seems one of them called a deputy over to hear the story and he thought I was crazy and making it all up so I got hauled down to the psych ward for some sort of evaluation where I had to tell the story of the bear, and Joe's, and the taxi drivers, and sleeping in the car and being thrown in the drunk tank, and running out of the shower bare-butt nekkid and winding up there in the psych ward. The docs there were not sure if I was bat-snit crazy or suffering from alcohol poisoning or was a pathological liar or what, so I had to stay there for three days while they made me tell the story over and over again. So anyway, by the time I got out of the psych ward and went home and had to explain everything to my wife, who at first wanted to either brain me with a rolling pin or just throw me out on the sidewalk until I finally convinced her that I was not smart enough to make this stuff up, and we had great make-up sex which I fell asleep after. Anyhow, I finally got cleaned up and changed my clothes and went out to find that bear so I could skin him out and turn in the hide. But by the time I got to where the bear was when I left it, it looked like wolves and coyotes and buzzards and maybe even a few other bears had more than one meal out of the carcass, which had no hide for me to skin out and turn in. Which is why I can't turn in a hide from the bear I killed.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

stay safe.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

Well, you see, Mr. Ranger, after I shot the bear I realized that before I could skin the sucker out I ought to go home and change my pants. And on the way home I realized that I was shaking so much that it would be better if I had something "to calm my nerves". So I stopped in at Joe's on the way home, and after convincing the bartender that I was not already so drunk I did not have control of myself he called a bunch of guys over for me to tell the story to. As other guys wandered in I had to tell the story over and over again - and each time I did folks bought me a drink or three and slapped me on the back while calling me a hero. By the time I finally managed to get out of Joe's it was closing time and I still needed to go home and clean up and change my clothes. I had to call three different taxis to take me home before one would agree that the reason I needed to clean up and change my clothes was not because I was so drunk. And he got on the radio and told all the other taxi drivers in town about me and the bear, and they all wanted to meet me and hear the story first hand. And at least one of them stopped off and got a six-pack or three, so by the time I finally got home I was really feeling the effects and I'm pretty sure that instead of heading straight to the bathroom and cleaning up I must have gone into the bedroom and fallen asleep right there on the bed. Which woke up the wife who would not believe me when I tried to tell her that the reason I needed to clean up and change my clothes was not because I was drunk but because of the bear. She said something about teaching me to tell the truth and to not come home stinking drunk, which was why I decided to sleep outside. And because it gets cold at night I went and curled up in the car, which is where the cop found me because he said I must have kept hitting the brake pedal because it was the flashingbrake lights that got his attention. And then I had to tell the story all over agaion - and he didn't believe me any more than my wife did, so I ended up sleeping for the rest of the night in the drunk tank - which really means I didn't get any sleep at all. So when I got released I went home and started to get cleaned up so I could change my clothes but it looks like I fell asleep in the shower - well, until the hot water ran out. When I got hit by the cold water I must have woken up with a start and run out of the shower - except I kept on running until I fell down when I tripped on the kid's tricycle in the front yard and hit my head, passing out. That old biddy that lives across the street must have called the cops because the next thing I remember I was being stuffed bare-butt nekkid into the back of a squad car and going to the police station again. They gave me a blanket to put around myself and threw me in a big holding cell with a bunch of other guys already in there. They wantyed to know how come I got arrested so I started telling the story of the bear and Joe's and the taxi drivers and sleeping in the car and being thrown into the drunk tank, and it seems one of them called a deputy over to hear the story and he thought I was crazy and making it all up so I got hauled down to the psych ward for some sort of evaluation where I had to tell the story of the bear, and Joe's, and the taxi drivers, and sleeping in the car and being thrown in the drunk tank, and running out of the shower bare-butt nekkid and winding up there in the psych ward. The docs there were not sure if I was bat-snit crazy or suffering from alcohol poisoning or was a pathological liar or what, so I had to stay there for three days while they made me tell the story over and over again. So anyway, by the time I got out of the psych ward and went home and had to explain everything to my wife, who at first wanted to either brain me with a rolling pin or just throw me out on the sidewalk until I finally convinced her that I was not smart enough to make this stuff up, and we had great make-up sex which I fell asleep after. Anyhow, I finally got cleaned up and changed my clothes and went out to find that bear so I could skin him out and turn in the hide. But by the time I got to where the bear was when I left it, it looked like wolves and coyotes and buzzards and maybe even a few other bears had more than one meal out of the carcass, which had no hide for me to skin out and turn in. Which is why I can't turn in a hide from the bear I killed.

stay safe.

QFT,,,

Never has a walloftext been such pleasure to read and enjoy! Many thanx for your effort!

Jimmy Buffet had a great song about a bear, and a still... I bet you have heard it.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

stay safe.

tldr

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Sooo two hours before this ^^^^^
I had quoted for truth, with a thank you for the great story...
But you only have time to complain?

You dont have time to read a story I think is great,,,
But you got time to tell all that its too long sooo you didnt even
know if it was worth your time or not.

Well,,, now even though I read all your long winded but thoughtful posts,
I am now disappointed in You!

Shall I say it??? Moving on...:D

Firearms Iinstuctor

I think you're right... When I read 'fired his last two shots at the bear' I was thinking.. Oh my.. That's not a good situation to be in.

I have actually wondered how many 9mm rounds it would likely take to take down a bear. I've also wondered what the best target would be.. Head, neck, simply center mass? For some reason I was thinking head shots were not recommended on a bear because of the angle of their skulls but maybe that was just a myth type thing?

One 9mm killed large brown bear a few years ago in AK. Hit them in the right place most any thing well work.

skeith5

One 9mm killed large brown bear a few years ago in AK. Hit them in the right place most any thing well work.

I'd rather be able to hit them in the wrong places and have it work too. I've heard stories of lower caliber rounds being deflected of the skulls. I've heard the suggestion of trying to shoot them in the shoulder to stop forward movement. I'd probably scream like a little girl and get off a few limp wrist shots as I'm running away.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

sacarsm, on
you all know i just carry my raven 25 auto for self defense,
sooo i would just shoot my girl friend in the knee,
then i could just skip on down the trail and let the bear eat her,
no worries mate!
sarcasm off...

really if I was out in bear country,
I would carry my S&W 500 magnum,,,,, and my S&W 44 magnum!!!!

no worries mate!

Freedom1Man

sacarsm, on
you all know i just carry my raven 25 auto for self defense,
sooo i would just shoot my girl friend in the knee,
then i could just skip on down the trail and let the bear eat her,
no worries mate!
sarcasm off...

really if I was out in bear country,
I would carry my S&W 500 magnum,,,,, and my S&W 44 magnum!!!!

no worries mate!

.454 Casull, maybe? .444 Marlin?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Sooo two hours before this ^^^^^
I had quoted for truth, with a thank you for the great story...
But you only have time to complain?

You dont have time to read a story I think is great,,,
But you got time to tell all that its too long sooo you didnt even
know if it was worth your time or not.

Well,,, now even though I read all your long winded but thoughtful posts,
I am now disappointed in You!

Shall I say it??? Moving on...:D

lol. I was just teasin' Skid for his wall of text (which was obviously intentional). Does "tldr" sound like a comment I would make in all seriousness? :p

Haha! Nice. :lol:

Last edited: