• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hand gun against a bear.

jt59

One 9mm killed large brown bear a few years ago in AK. Hit them in the right place most any thing well work.

I lived in Alaska and had three Grizzely encounters within 30yds.... Once fishing armed only with two empty milk jugs (getting water from a salmon stream at 2:30 in the morning at low tide, once while working counting inventory in a Sea-container. I was completely unarmed and the last was bow hunting on the North Slope for Caribou on open ground that I was able to back out of with no challenge. All situations turned out for the good, but could have been very different.

I learned, after that, my normal carry after this was a 12 ga pump fully loaded with a mix of rounds: slug, slug, buckshot, slug, buckshot, slug, slug...the idea with these animals is that when they attack, you have to break them down (shoulder hits) if possible, body shots next but they'll be on you before they actually die, buckshot to the face (when they are that close) to blind them and put blood in their nose and you have a chance at retreating if they can't see or smell....backup was a .44 mag, generally considered inadequate but better than clubbing them with an empty shotgun.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

for any new readers that may be just reading the most recent post here....
go back to read a fantastic tale about a guy needing to skin a bear...
i dont know if it happened to skid, or if it came to him in a dream.
it is a wall of text, but it is an easy read.
i guarantee that it is worth the time you will waste reading the tale.
you will find it in post no. 8 in this thread.

go now and let your mind wonder through that story....

mobiushky

Just FYI, the turn in the pelt law is more likely there to prevent the "But Mr. Ranger, he was a chargin me and my loved ones. I HAD to shoot him out of season and in this restricted area. Don't worry, I'll take care of him now and freeze up the meat and make a nice pair of boots out of his hide...."

Hunting is a big business and a major part of the economy in AK. People up here rely on it. So there are laws that are meant to reduce and prevent poachers from getting out of hand.

Another strange fact, it's against the law in AK to fly hunting equipment (of any kind) in a helicopter. It's ok in a plane, but not in a helicopter. Same reason, to avoid helicopter hunting.

Dav

I worked for a land surveyor as their pilot, and after I became proficient at surveying I ended up doing a lot of trips in Montana where I was out in the sticks by myself. At one of our tower sites I found some fresh bear scat and from then on I never went unarmed to MT.

I often wondered how I'd fare with my 1911. Probably better than without it.

WalkingWolf

I'd rather be able to hit them in the wrong places and have it work too. I've heard stories of lower caliber rounds being deflected of the skulls. I've heard the suggestion of trying to shoot them in the shoulder to stop forward movement. I'd probably scream like a little girl and get off a few limp wrist shots as I'm running away.

Have you thought of working for NYPD? :rolleyes:

EtdBob

I'd not have wasted any cartridges on warning shots, especially if I had no extras along!

I've never messed with grizzlies but I certainly have had plenty of run ins with black bears. Years back when my wife and I were first homesteading we lived in an 18 foot travel trailer deep in the forest. Right from the get-go we stated having trouble with pesky black bears.

Once I was woken up by a bear messing about in our camp so I jumped up buck nekkid and ran out the door with my trusty 7-1/2 inch Ruger Bisley .44 magnum. I didn't want to kill the beastie, I kinda like living where the Wild Things Roam or I'd move back to town. So I shot right under that bears belly, right past his head, BANG-WIZZ, emptied that revolver all around him.

The bear simply sat down and looked at me.

I was so hopping mad I coulda run up and whanged him over the head with the empty gun ( and at 50-odd ounces of steel it mighta done some good! ). I didn't know if I should start throwing things at it, start hopping up and down and yelling, or reload the gun and kill it or what.

So I simply gave up and went back to bed.

A few years down the road I had another interestin' run in with a bear, right outside my back door.
We'd gotten our straw bale cottage all built up and we moved in out of the little trailer.
Come summer things were feelin' to durn civilized so the wife and I grabbed our backpacks and headed off for about a week on Idahos Long Canyon loop.

When we got back home around sundown the first thing we noticed was bear paw prints on the windows of our cottage ( they looked so cool we left the muddy prints in place for the rest of the year to impress visitors!). Then we opened the front door and noticed the smell. We'd forgotten to take out the kitchen garbage when we left and that smell is what had attracted the bear.

Well, we threw the trash outside and heated water on the stove and my wife got the first much-appreciated hot shower.
I needed to go out back to the outhouse to take care of some serious business and on account of the bear prints I took my trusty Winchester shotgun along with me.

Right outside the back door I ran into that bear! We stood there a few feet apart with me just a-yelling and swearing at him something fierce. He wasn't impressed.
I emptied that shotgun into the ground right under his nose, four rounds of 3" 0000 buck ( that will teach him!).

That bear stood his ground and didn't flinch a muscle. When I was done with the racket he looked at me and went "GRRRRR...."
I figure I had the luck to run into a deaf bear!
About that time I noticed I had an empty shotgun in my hands. I was so mad at that bear I coulda happily broke the shotgun over his head, but I figured a tactical withdraw back into the house might be in order...

I went to the gun cabinet to grab the next loaded gun which happened to be an AK-47, and told my wife what all the fuss was about ( she was still in the shower. Being the first hot shower in a week she wasn't about to give it up unless the bear went for her!).

I went out the front door with that AK and the bear came around the cottage towards me. I figured "Well heck, he ain't rbackin' off. I figure I need to kill this stubborn bear" So I raised the rifle to my shoulder and as it was pretty dark by now I flipped the tiny switch that illuminated the aiming reticle in the scope.

Only the little switch already flipped, and the battery in the scope was dead, and I couldn't see a thing through the scope.
It was one of those moments fer me, and ever since I have refused the temptation to mount battery powered gizmos on my weapons.

Not being able to aim I didn't want no sloppy 20-random-rounds-to-the-body-while-the-bear-cloeses-in-on-me-and-chews-me-leg-off- kinda-kill, I re-figured real fast and decided to give him one last chance as the bear calmly lumbered towards me closing the distance, and I ripped four or five very fast rounds over the bears head.

The muzzle flash of a 16 inch 7.62x39 practically in his muzzle seemed to do the trick, and the bear disappeared into the dark.

But I knew he'd be back.

So I was a-waiting fer him. I'd be ready this time.

I'd loaded my shotgun up again only this time I thumbed a round of light # 8 shot in th' tube last.
Last in, first out as it goes with shotguns. First in was a 3" BRI sabot slug, then two rounds of 3" 0000 bucks, then the light skeet load.

A day later that bear showed up again. It was pretty durn dark and I was getting ready for bed, standing around in my skivvies brushing my teeth.

- When you brush yer teeth do you stare blankly at yerself in th' mirror or do you wander about and do other stuff while brushing?

I fall into the wandering category, and that is how I happened to look out the window and spot the bear in the yard. I grabbed up that shotgun and ran right out into the yard in my skivvies with toothbrush still firmly clamed in my mug. I was gonna get that bear!

I caught him in the rump with the load of # 8 and instantly racked that slide and brought the shotgun back on target. Heh, I needn't have worried though, that bear got hit and ran away like the dickens. I stood in the yard and it seemed I could hear him running up and over the mountain. A bear at full tilt is like a run away train and makes about as much noise as it plows through the forest!

It was a DNR employee that originally told me about the # 8 trick. See, to chase offa bear you need to hurt it. He ain't a-feared of any loud noise, but he don't like pain. # 8 will penetrate the hide but not the mussel beneath ( 'Cept at point blank range ).

So long story short, don't waste yer ammo on warning shots 'cause the bears don't care.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Sad,,,,,

Sad,,,,

you type this...
I'd not have wasted any cartridges on warning shots, especially if I had no extras along!

Then tell a story about a bear, that is not afraid of humans, that wants to get in your house,
and you make three distinct Failed attempts to make it behave,,,
by firing ineffective Warning shots!!!
Even on the forth attempt you only bothered to inflict butt pain,,, for to make him fear?

You should have killed that bear, the very first time,,, he was dangerous to you and your family,
besides,,, they taste good!

bchunter

I hunt bears up here in Canada. I had a black bear take 3 shots to the head with a Rem 7mm Mag before it would go down.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have had good luck chasing bears out of the yard with bird shot. I Like 7.5s at about 40 yards they seem to run really fast with a hit in the butt.

A taxidermist friend of mine told me that every bear he gets in that is over a couple hundred pounds has bird shot in it some place some even 22 bullets.

I had some luck with warning shots chased a few away with a rifle bullet into the dirt under under the nose.

I only had one decide he really wanted to challenge me for the same space. He was about a 100lb male that didn't mine the noise or the dirt in his face.

As I was just about to plant a 165gr between his eyes he must of decided I was meaning business because as I was taking up the slack on the trigger at 20 feet he turn tail and ran.

I don't mind a warning shot or two if I have enough ammo if it is safe to do. I wouldn't if I thought the bear really meant business I just kill it.

But shooting a bear out of season brings a whole new set of problems.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Just step out on your porch and fire two in the air - if it works on hardened criminals it'll work on a silly 'ol bear. If that doesn't work, just throw up or poo yourself. They'll be disgusted and think "I don't want to eat that!"

Logan 5

Where you shoot the bear is very important. Avoid a headshot unless you have a clear shot for the nose or eyes. For the bear, the front leg where it joins the chest. On a human equivalent it's the arm pit. Fewer bones and less muscle. My great grandfather used to hunt bears n Missouri and when his dogs would get them treed he'd shoot them there with a .22. I dunno about a grizzly.

No. Would be much better if Carrie Fisher was wearing her Star Wars outfit instead, while using the AR-15.
Yer cruel to us lonely hearts, ya bum! :banana:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Where you shoot the bear is very important. Avoid a headshot unless you have a clear shot for the nose or eyes. For the bear, the front leg where it joins the chest. On a human equivalent it's the arm pit. Fewer bones and less muscle. My great grandfather used to hunt bears n Missouri and when his dogs would get them treed he'd shoot them there with a .22. I dunno about a grizzly.
:banana:

If one looks closely at the skull one well find eyes are off to the side of a bears skull.

So a straight head on shot to the eye could very well miss the brain cavity.

Give a inward angle to the shot would be the best.

A shot place into the nose most likely would drive the bullet into the brain cavity.

Having shot bears out of trees and seen many shot out of trees a well place 22 bullet could do the job.

When one was a good size bear up a tree only 10 to 12 feet above your head a good bullet out of a decent caliber center fire is a lot surer.

The other trouble is a good 40 percent of bears run with hounds are shot on the ground a lot of times the really big ones don't tree. Nothing like crawling into brush where one can't see more the 20 to 30 feet. Where the hounds have a 500lb bear cornered and shooting it.

That gets the old heart pumping.

Last edited: