• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sante-Cali-Gon?

kcgunfan

I've ridden in cars for enough hours with you for you to know better that I'm bothered in the slightest by the comments. I think they're hilarious. If I didn't, I would not own up to them ;-)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

jbab

I've done some digging and this is what found.

SEC. 12.03.004. FIREARMS IN CITY BUILDINGS.
A. No person who has been issued a concealed carry endorsement by the Missouri Director of Revenue
under Section 571.094 RSMo. or who has been issued a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed
firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state, shall, by authority of that
endorsement or permit, be allowed to carry a concealed firearm or to openly carry a firearm in any building
or portion of a building or any park owned, leased or controlled by the City.

B. Signs shall be posted at each entrance of a building entirely owned, leased or controlled by the City
and at park entrances stating that entry while carrying firearms is prohibited. Where the City owns, leased
or controls only a portion of a building, signs shall be posted at each entrance to that portion of a the
building stating that carrying of firearms is prohibited.

C. This section shall not apply to buildings owned by the City but leased in their entirety to a non-public
entity or operated by a management company under contract with the City, unless said entity or
management company chooses to prohibit firearms and posts signs at the entrance of the building stating
that the carrying of firearms is prohibited.

Definition of a building per SEC. 4.01.002. DEFINITIONS:

BUILDING means an enclosed structure anchored to a permanent foundation and having exterior or
party walls and a roof, designed for the shelter of persons, animals, or property. When divided by other
than common or contiguous walls, each portion or section of such building shall be regarded as a separate
building.

Richieg150

I've done some digging and this is what found.

SEC. 12.03.004. FIREARMS IN CITY BUILDINGS.
A. No person who has been issued a concealed carry endorsement by the Missouri Director of Revenue
under Section 571.094 RSMo. or who has been issued a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed
firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state, shall, by authority of that
endorsement or permit, be allowed to carry a concealed firearm or to openly carry a firearm in any building
or portion of a building or any park owned, leased or controlled by the City.

B. Signs shall be posted at each entrance of a building entirely owned, leased or controlled by the City
and at park entrances stating that entry while carrying firearms is prohibited. Where the City owns, leased
or controls only a portion of a building, signs shall be posted at each entrance to that portion of a the
building stating that carrying of firearms is prohibited.

C. This section shall not apply to buildings owned by the City but leased in their entirety to a non-public
entity or operated by a management company under contract with the City, unless said entity or
management company chooses to prohibit firearms and posts signs at the entrance of the building stating
that the carrying of firearms is prohibited.

Definition of a building per SEC. 4.01.002. DEFINITIONS:

BUILDING means an enclosed structure anchored to a permanent foundation and having exterior or
party walls and a roof, designed for the shelter of persons, animals, or property. When divided by other
than common or contiguous walls, each portion or section of such building shall be regarded as a separate
building.

SO.... its not a building, its not a park.....the streets are public, not owned by the city.....The city can post signs anywhere they want, that doesn't make them legal or correct.... and most would or will ever question that fact. To Sheeple ignorance can be bliss..

jbab

I was thinking earlier today, they're two streets entering my neighborhood, if the city used this same method, they could post signs up at both streets and make it so you couldn't bring a firearm in the neighborhood. Same concept as if you were wanting to go to a restaurant on the square and didn't take part in the festival, would you still have to "abide" by festival rules? I emailed the person on their website asking about this. She immediately said signs are posted and they don't allows "weapons". When legality was brought up, in essence searching for an ordinance, i was directed to email the Attorney at City Hall. I am looking for his email now. I'll post the conversations later. Want to get the whole thing.

TRuch2010

I was thinking earlier today, they're two streets entering my neighborhood, if the city used this same method, they could post signs up at both streets and make it so you couldn't bring a firearm in the neighborhood. Same concept as if you were wanting to go to a restaurant on the square and didn't take part in the festival, would you still have to "abide" by festival rules? I emailed the person on theirwebsite asking about this. She immediately said signs are posted and they don't allows "weapons". When legality was brought up, in essence searching for an ordinance, i was directed to email the Attorney at City Hall. I am looking for his email now. I'll post the conversations later. Want to get the whole thing.

I got ahold of them though their facebook page and was told to call city hall and the police dept. I was also told it was the city's rule, and they had to follow it. I did not push any further been to busy between work and kids. They also sent me pictures of two sighns first one said nothing about fire arms, the second had a*piece of paper taped to it that said no concealed or open carry. Wasn't on the sighn like the other restrictions were. I have just decided not to go, I'll go to the lake instead and do some shooting. Better use of my time and money in my opinion.

Tacitus42

I got ahold of them though their facebook page and was told to call city hall and the police dept. I was also told it was the city's rule, and they had to follow it. I did not push any further been to busy between work and kids. They also sent me pictures of two sighns first one said nothing about fire arms, the second had a*piece of paper taped to it that said no concealed or open carry. Wasn't on the sighn like the other restrictions were. I have just decided not to go, I'll go to the lake instead and do some shooting. Better use of my time and money in my opinion.

Have you and JEStucker ever been confused for Capitulation Man and Backdown Boy?

Last edited:

JEStucker

Have you and JEStucker ever been confused for Capitulation Man and Backdown Boy?

Here in Missouri we're on the cusp of getting a veto over-ridden that will nullify the municipalities ability to control open carry for valid CCW holders. There's a time and a place for some battles to be fought and causing waves isn't the best course of action. If (when) the veto is over-ridden during the legislative session in September, then you can bet I'll gladly strap on my firearm, place a copy of the law in my pocket and head out the door. As I stated earlier, it's not a matter of what's legal or right, I'm flat broke right now and there's just no way in hell I could afford bail, lawyer, etc. to try and fight city hall. Regardless of if the signs are legal, the intent is still the same, they don't want us there.

Tacitus42

Here in Missouri we're on the cusp of getting a veto over-ridden that will nullify the municipalities ability to control open carry for valid CCW holders. There's a time and a place for some battles to be fought and causing waves isn't the best course of action. If (when) the veto is over-ridden during the legislative session in September, then you can bet I'll gladly strap on my firearm, place a copy of the law in my pocket and head out the door. As I stated earlier, it's not a matter of what's legal or right, I'm flat broke right now and there's just no way in hell I could afford bail, lawyer, etc. to try and fight city hall. Regardless of if the signs are legal, the intent is still the same, they don't want us there.
No problem, carry on.:D

Richieg150

I guess as I'm getting older I have started listening to my better half on picking my battles. If I was a resident of Independence maybe it would mean more to me that it does, or if I has a desire to go. Maybe if it was next month..... something could be done....but lets wait a couple of weeks...........as far as I know nothing has changed with this festival in years as far as signage goes. I have OC'ed with my family, at our festivals with signage, where I live.....because.......it was where I live.