• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro Gun - Pro COnstitutional Carry Candidate at Richmond Gun Show 24 August 2013

TFred

Almost all libertarians believe that there should not be any gun laws ...
And almost no libertarians stand a snowball's chance in the Sahara of getting elected.

If you want to make a difference, support your libertarian candidates in the PRIMARIES, not the general elections. Supporting libertarians in the general election will guarantee the worst candidate will win.

TFred

davidmcbeth

Banned
And almost no libertarians stand a snowball's chance in the Sahara of getting elected.

If you want to make a difference, support your libertarian candidates in the PRIMARIES, not the general elections. Supporting libertarians in the general election will guarantee the worst candidate will win.

TFred

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_Party_(United_States)

Some have won ... just none currently...that can change of course.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

TFred

And with that attitude, none every will because we do the voters a disservice in dismissing them out of hand.

Sorry, TFred, but on this issue I see you as part of the problem.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
And with that attitude, none every will because we do the voters a disservice in dismissing them out of hand.

The point is, Tess, that in order to be successful in state-wide elections, one has to "earn one's spurs" by advancing up the political process -- local elections, county elections, etc, building a voting track record before the electorate will lend any credence to that candidate. Look what happens when a relative unknown who gets elected to the Senate, serves for two years and then gets elected President. If the electorate had had the chance to really know about that candidate, chances are he would never have been elected.

If a candidate cannot get elected locally, why should we give him or her any trust in working for our interest on a national level? When the Libertarian party has made inroads into local and state politics, their candidates will have more ability to be regarded as a viable choice.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Thanks, that article makes my point quite clear. To date, NO Libertarian Party candidate has ever won a state-wide election. And we aren't about to see it now.

TFred

Well, I vote for them .... I have 5 in my town ... one goes around and gets on ballots ... good for him...

I have run for office too in the past, several times. Never won, but I did participate in debates and made democrats look stupid and they lost some close elections (if I helped them lose, then its a good thing).

I still go to debates and insure that I get to ask a question, its one that will make a democrat look stupid (it aint hard though).

3fgburner

TFred

In this case, both of the DemoPublican candidates are so awful, that we have a chance. If everybody who said "I would vote Libertarian, but he doesn't stand a chance", DID vote Libertarian, Sarvis could win.

The Wolfhound

Sooner or later...

One or the other political party will implode or wake up and field a good candidate. I expect implosion but would welcome the other. I am damned tired of holding my nose and voting for a skunk to beat a louse. The louse wins anyway. If I vote Libertarian this year, at least I will vote for someone I like as opposed to voting against the marginally lesser of two evils as I have the last several elections. Don't they say one measure of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result? I might just vacate my previously insane position, so far I have not voted for a third party........

davidmcbeth

Banned
In this case, both of the DemoPublican candidates are so awful, that we have a chance. If everybody who said "I would vote Libertarian, but he doesn't stand a chance", DID vote Libertarian, Sarvis could win.

I vote for folks who I can actually support and be proud to say "I voted Libertarian" ... irrelevant if vote is "tossed away" or not.

Because it is NOT tossed away ... other parties look at 3rd party votes and change their platforms ...

TFred

No, you really don't. Not even if everyone who said that they thought that way really did vote that way.

TFred

TFred

And no matter how many years you stand there banging your head up against a brick wall, the wall is never going to crack because it's always going to be harder than your head.

Unless you plan to violently overthrow an existing party, you simply have to start change from within an existing seat of power. Please note, I am not now, and have never said not to support candidates of your choosing. The point is that there is absolutely no chance to succeed when you support them outside the existing infrastructure of power. You do them the disservice by not persuading them to run from within an infrastructure where they might actually have a chance to succeed!

As logical-thinking as gun folks usually are, it astounds me that in this one area, so many choose to refuse to "get it." It's classic liberal-think, seeing the world as they wish it was, rather than how it is. That is what drives nearly every liberal progressive ideology - and why they always ultimately fail.

It's not rocket science.

TFred

Tess

Founder's Club Member
And no matter how many years you stand there banging your head up against a brick wall, the wall is never going to crack because it's always going to be harder than your head.

Unless you plan to violently overthrow an existing party, you simply have to start change from within an existing seat of power. Please note, I am not now, and have never said not to support candidates of your choosing. The point is that there is absolutely no chance to succeed when you support them outside the existing infrastructure of power. You do them the disservice by not persuading them to run from within an infrastructure where they might actually have a chance to succeed!

As logical-thinking as gun folks usually are, it astounds me that in this one area, so many choose to refuse to "get it." It's classic liberal-think, seeing the world as they wish it was, rather than how it is. That is what drives nearly every liberal progressive ideology - and why they always ultimately fail.

It's not rocket science.

TFred

TFred, what you apparently don't get is that neither Cuccinelli nor McAuliffe is a candidate of my choosing. I find both abhorrent. I will go further and say that if either of them were my ONLY option, I might do the unthinkable and not vote.

How it is is that we - the thinking individuals of Virginia - have an opportunity to say "NO MORE. Bring good candidates or suffer the consequences." However, too many non-thinkers will vote for the D or the R, using your "logic", instead of voting to make their voices heard.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I saw your truck at the show yesterday (given the license plate - or someone else with your name), but missed you. I didn't see Sarvis either.

Last edited: