• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

false arrest for video recording police

countryclubjoe

Onus

You must now proceed to Federal Court and seek redress for being falsely arrested and having your constitutional rights violated.

Please enjoy your new found wealth.

Keep up the good work.

CCJ

eye95

I think so.

I like the gutsy demand that the cop stop talking to him.

I didn't mean the guy in the video. I meant the OP.

BTW, I wouldn't call his demand "gutsy." I'd call it "goading."

My hearing is not good, and neither is the audio. I can't tell if the cop ordered the person to stay behind the telephone poll. But, if the cop did give that order, the best that the arrestee can expect is to beat the charge. I don't see him winning any lawsuit. He has a shot if the cop lied about the order.

However, clearly these two were looking to make trouble, "embodying" if you will.

I can imagine these two geniuses hatching the following plan at the zoo:

"OK, you walk through the bear enclosure. If he leaves you alone, I'll approach him and engage him in a provocative way. If he smacks me with his big, meaty, claw-filled paw, we'll sue the zoo and the bear."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

DocWalker

I can imagine these two geniuses hatching the following plan at the zoo:

"OK, you walk through the bear enclosure. If he leaves you alone, I'll approach him and engage him in a provocative way. If he smacks me with his big, meaty, claw-filled paw, we'll sue the zoo and the bear."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

The only problem with this is that a zoo bear enclosure is off limits to the public; were as the side walk is part of the public pathway.

onus

Bears aren't human beings who are government officials who must obey the constitution and protect citizens rights to free press.

My sources tell me that the arrested individual and their attorney are happy.

DocWalker

Bears aren't human beings who are government officials who must obey the constitution and protect citizens rights to free press.

My sources tell me that the arrested individual and their attorney are happy.

The attorny will be happy if he works on a percentage rate. Just think the large numbers that will be paid out by the taxpayer for this idiot power hungry cop.

onus

The attorny will be happy if he works on a percentage rate. Just think the large numbers that will be paid out by the taxpayer for this idiot power hungry cop.

attorneys generally take 33-38 percent.

the individual who was arrested by hawthorne police on two occasions now is looking at receving about $200,000 plus attorney fees.....compliments of the tax payers.

the police don't pay, the mayor doesn't pay, the city council doesn't pay, the city attorney doesn't pay.

wouldn't it be nice if you could get a speeding ticket and make someone else pay for it ?

wouldn't it be nice if you got sentenced to 90 days in jail and you could make someone else do the time ?

welcome to qualified immunity and indemnification.

eye95

"looking at receiving"???

Hah!

"Is suing for and hopes (beyond hope) to get" is more like it.

So, onus, did the officer tell you to stay behind the pole or not?

Deanimator

attorneys generally take 33-38 percent.

the individual who was arrested by hawthorne police on two occasions now is looking at receving about $200,000 plus attorney fees.....compliments of the tax payers.

the police don't pay, the mayor doesn't pay, the city council doesn't pay, the city attorney doesn't pay.

wouldn't it be nice if you could get a speeding ticket and make someone else pay for it ?

wouldn't it be nice if you got sentenced to 90 days in jail and you could make someone else do the time ?

welcome to qualified immunity and indemnification.
That's why you have to be creative with the money. Buy video cameras for activists to use to record the police even MORE. Rent billboards to post the faces of the guilty parties.

Keep in mind that in places like Ohio and Chicago, police are NOT indemnified for punitive damages. That's why Chicago settles so MANY cases out of court. If they didn't, there'd be a lot of cops living under bridges there. That's what happened to Detective Alvin Weems. He was on the hook for some portion of $3,000,000 for murdering Michael Pleasance on video and lying about it. He ate his gun.

onus

"looking at receiving"???

Hah!

"Is suing for and hopes (beyond hope) to get" is more like it.

You seem angry.

An innocent person was victimized by an agent of the government. Now the government is responsible for compensating him.

That's how America works.

HandyHamlet

...the individual who was arrested by hawthorne police on two occasions ...

Actually.

Tuesday’s arrest marks the sixth time he has been arrested for video recording cops, not that they ever charge him with that because there is no law in the books forbidding this.

They usually charge him with Penal Code Section 148, resisting, delaying or obstructing an officer, which is California’s go-to contempt of cop charge.
http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2...dangering-the-lives-of-officers-with-cameras/

Last edited:

eye95

You seem angry.

An innocent person was victimized by an agent of the government. Now the government is responsible for compensating him.

That's how America works.

Not angry at all. Just amused by the moronic antics of CaPonus.

Logan 5

This guy that keeps getting arrested has a good style, but he has to sharpen it up. Seriously, don't go around looking for cops to bully, which I think he did in this case.

I saw a video where the same guy was harassed by cops for STANDING near a refinery in El Segundo. What if he had been taking pics like the cops allege? Ever hear of Google Earth? Go rent an airplane and fly around the area and get far better pics. In that case the cops were out of line, and he was telling the cops to F off. I like that style, and in that case justified. In this one, the OP's link, he's goading them.

Even the tamest of pets will bite if you push it far enough.

I myself prefer to be polite and resolve the matter peacefully.