• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your opinion on OC/police scenario

davidmcbeth

Banned
Hey Rich,

I've had this happen many times - cops bringing there handgun to bear in a simple traffic stop.

I just figure he's nuts but no more nutty than some judges I have seen.

Its just part of the system...

CT Barfly

Sorry if this is disorganized...i'm tired.

Uhm...a traffic stop is an arrest and is indeed arrestable in many jurisdictions. Unless there is state/local law which states otherwise. The officer has probable cause to believe a violation of the law has occurred (blown stop sign)...this justifies the stop. The problem comes when the stop is pretextual and morphs into something more...then it BECOMES Terry (you've gotten PC, you have a ticket/violation in the bag, yet you decide to EXPAND the scope of the investigation based on your hunches/RAS). It's distressing to see that even police officers are being trained to treat traffic stops as Terry stops but it is up to citizens to assert their 4th/5th rights. Traffic violations have become a justification for conducting a "limited investigative detention/interview" which is unsettling to those who know and understand their rights. "hey sir, i watched you run that stop sign, do you have any drugs in the car? can my dog sniff?"

Terry only requires reasonable articulable SUSPICION that a violation of the law has occurred or may occurr...empowering a limited seizure/search (for weapons which could be dangerous to the officer). It is a lower bar than probable cause which would support an arrest/warrant. If you're stopping someone in their car, you are telling the court that you have PC. Terry merely recognizes that crime can happen in a split second that that police need some flexibility to investigate crimes without placing themselves at undue risk.

If an individual is driving PERFECTLY, signaling, obeying the speed limit, etc...there is NO justification for a traffic stop, and hence no Terry stop powers. Now, if they're circling the block 100x in a drug-infested area of town and take off when you approach...you might be talking about a Terry stop, but you def wouldn't have PC to believe a crime has occurred...unless the driver gave it to you in some way. If you are pulling people over without a violation...just based on "it's a bad neighborhood and it's late at night" then you are absolutely violating their 4A rights. In this case, you didn't...you had PROBABLE CAUSE for the traffic violation, followed up by sufficient Terry justification for disarming the driver (he had a gun and you had to make the situation safe for yourself)...but in reality, the Terry justification was moot...you could have hauled this guy to jail (for the mover) and tossed his car as a search incident to arrest. Certainly justified in searching the "grabbable area" of the car right there in the street, too.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

Uhm...a traffic stop is an arrest and is indeed arrestable in many jurisdictions. Unless there is state/local law which states otherwise. The officer has probable cause to believe a violation of the law has occurred (blown stop sign)...this justifies the stop. The problem comes when the stop is pretextual and morphs into something more...then it BECOMES Terry (you've gotten PC, you have a ticket/violation in the bag, yet you decide to EXPAND the scope of the investigation based on your hunches/RAS). It's distressing to see that even police officers are being trained to treat traffic stops as Terry stops but it is up to citizens to assert their 4th/5th rights. Traffic violations have become a justification for conducting a "limited investigative detention/interview" which is unsettling to those who know and understand their rights. "hey sir, i watched you run that stop sign, do you have any drugs in the car? can my dog sniff?"

Terry only requires reasonable articulable SUSPICION that a violation of the law has occurred or may occurr...empowering a limited seizure/search (for weapons which could be dangerous to the officer). It is a lower bar than probable cause which would support an arrest/warrant. If you're stopping someone in their car, you are telling the court that you have PC. Terry merely recognizes that crime can happen in a split second that that police need some flexibility to investigate crimes without placing themselves at undue risk.

If an individual is driving PERFECTLY, signaling, obeying the speed limit, etc...there is NO justification for a traffic stop, and hence no Terry stop powers. Now, if they're circling the block 100x in a drug-infested area of town and take off when you approach...you might be talking about a Terry stop, but you def wouldn't have PC to believe a crime has occurred...unless the driver gave it to you in some way. If you are pulling people over without a violation...just based on "it's a bad neighborhood and it's late at night" then you are absolutely violating their 4A rights. In this case, you didn't...you had PROBABLE CAUSE for the traffic violation, followed up by sufficient Terry justification for disarming the driver (he had a gun and you had to make the situation safe for yourself)...but in reality, the Terry justification was moot...you could have hauled this guy to jail (for the mover) and tossed his car as a search incident to arrest. Certainly justified in searching the "grabbable area" of the car right there in the street, too.

From a Statist,,, that does not Understand what Terry actually means,,, Nor how it is supposed to protect OUR Rights!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Now would anyone's decided course of action change if I were to tell you that the violation, and subsequent stop, occurred about two blocks away from where a homicide occurred 5 days earlier, and that there is currently a very hot gang war that is ongoing in that area? There is an almost palpable tension in the streets as the residents brace for the next round of gunfire? The city is in double-digit homicides for the year, and there was an even bloodier weekend just two weeks before?

Here's another factor. The operator looks like just like the pictures of people hanging on the wall on the "Wanted" bulletin board in the station. Most likely he looks nothing like you (i'm assuming, based on the people I've seen at the rallies I have been to). Officers exchanged gunfire with a felon a week earlier. It's 3:00 in the morning at the time of the stop, in an extremely violent neighborhood. And don't forget, put yourself in the shoes of the officer.

Same opinion, or does it change at all?

Well, when I had a cop at my door investigating a crime that occurred a couple of days earlier (something related to a down the block issue), I showed him the street and warned him that I had a notice of trespass filed concerning town employees and that his several-days-later visit over a crime was not sufficient IMO for him to violate a trespass notice. When he said it did ~ I said that this would be something for a judge to further decide because I would place him under arrest next time. He understood my position and left. No problems with the po po violating my notice of trespass after that. And they have gone around my property lines since then doing their jobs. I get alone fine with my local PDs...I just don't want them on my land to avoid confrontations.

Plus what did the OP do? Or is this a theoretical proposal here?

CT Barfly

From a Statist,,, that does not Understand what Terry actually means,,, Nor how it is supposed to protect OUR Rights!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yes, the 4A protects us from the State...but the SCOTUS has carved out some allowances for State action..because having cut-and-dried/bright line rules invariably invites enterprising citizens to skirt them. It's an imperfect system...because people are imperfect.

You may disagree all you want, just have the deep pockets to cover your defense costs.

Everyone's free to be a test case for their own disagreements with the law...and free to lobby the legislature to change things.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Ummmmm read it again - the court has held that BEING armed IS RAS of presently being dangerous.

The bulge in the jacket permitted the officer to conclude that Mimms was armed and thus posed a serious and present danger to the safety of the officer. In these circumstances, any man of "reasonable caution" would likely have conducted the "pat down."

BECAUSE Mimms was armed, he THUS posed a serious and present danger. You may disagree, but the case law has "spoken."

Also from the King case: her concern for her safety was based on specific articulable facts. What facts did she have? She saw a gun under his leg. That's it. Mere presence.

How is it a 4th violation if the courts have called it reasonable and justified?????? You may disagree, but the court disagrees with you. And i'm sure you'd be the first person to go quoting case law when it benefits your position right?

To quote you (with my highlighting):
When an officer is justified in believing that the individual whose suspicious behavior he is investigating at close range is armed and presently dangerous to the officer or to others, it would appear to be clearly unreasonable to deny the officer the power to take necessary measures to determine whether the person is in fact carrying a weapon and to neutralize the threat of physical harm. (Terry)

What did the person you pulled over do to make you feel he was "presently a danger" to you? Simply being armed was NOT what Terry said. Had the person matched one of the people you were looking for, then it would be understandable, but you did not say that. He just had a moving violation and had a weapon visible. I have to say that your desire to "go home safely" is a hollow excuse at best.

Again, let me quote you on Mimms (my emphasis in red):
Here the court recognizes the danger to police officers during "routine" motor vehicle stops i.e. scenarios that don't necessarily involve misdemeanor/felony crimes, but mere infractions: In two cases in which we applied Terry to specific factual situations, we recognized that investigative detentions involving suspects in vehicles are especially fraught with danger to police officers. In Pennsylvania v. Mimms, 434 U. S. 106 (1977), we held that police may order persons out of 1048*1048 an automobile during a stop for a traffic violation, and may frisk those persons for weapons if there is a reasonable belief that they are armed and dangerous. Our decision rested in part on the "inordinate risk confronting an officer as he approaches a person seated in an automobile." Id., at 110. In Adams v. Williams, 407 U. S. 143 (1972), we held that the police, acting on an informant's tip, may reach into the passenger compartment of an automobile to remove a gun from a driver's waistband even where the gun was not apparent to police from outside the car and the police knew of its existence only because of the tip. Again, our decision rested in part on our view of the danger presented to police officers in "traffic stop" and automobile situations.[ (Michigan V. Long)

I notice a pattern...you keep leaving the essential element of "dangerous" out of your emphasis. What was your "reasonable" belief that he was dangerous to you...other than your desire for a safe and secure occupation? ;)

On a side note...why do you think it is reasonable to "handle" someone's property and return it is a different condition than you "seized" it?

Last edited:

luckyykid

Lucky,
While this is not the worst case of an officer stopping someone I have heard of, it is not what I want to see. I am going to speak from more of a philosophical note with this one.

A few comments:

1) A government enforcer does not have 'rights' bestowed upon them. Your badge might give you powers or privileges, but human beings all have the same rights for the mere fact that they are human. You don't have a 'right' to disarm someone, you might have a court permission slip. This is important, because you should be judging not what you can get away with as a LEO, but instead as what any other human being would be able to do. .

I understand that Rich. I honestly feel though that the people on this forum don't think of police as human beings ourselves. I know you kind of addressed this below, but I want to emphasize - Don't I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness just like everyone else? Mainly, in this context, the right to life? Do I not have the right to see to my protection when entering potentially dangerous situations? People seem to forget that I'm just a regular shmoe who was hired by the city to enforce the laws of the state. I'm really no different than you or the guy next door who may choose to become an officer. And I certainly don't get off on disarming people just because I can get away with it.

If I pulled over to help someone on the side of the road and they had a gun in their waistband or anywhere else, I would not order them around or disarm them or anything else. I would either stay and help if I felt comfortable or leave if they made me uncomfortable. Remember, every time you exercise power over people that anyone without a badge wouldn't have it is a 'bad thing'.

But the reality is that I don't have the luxury of just leaving if I feel uncomfortable, whereas you would. What would become of the world if every time an officer felt he was entering a potentially dangerous situation, he just left? I have a duty and responsibility to address criminals and crimes in general despite the potential danger. However, I'm given tools, training, and beneficial case law to accomplish that purpose as safely as possible. And also a reality, despite those things, a certain number of officers are killed every year performing their duties.

2) I agree that the courts have been sympathetic towards officers during traffic stops with the reason of 'officer safety'. While I wish you, personally, a safe life and career, 'officer safety' is a BS excuse for doing questionable things. You have the same 'right' towards self defense and life as any of the rest of us. The difference, as I am sure you would note, is in the fact that LEOs go out and purposely put themselves in harm's way. But that is not something that then makes them more than human. You accept that risk and responsibility on your own. It does not confer extra rights or powers because you put yourself in a risky situation. Each time that you utilize more power over someone else, you take from them.

I do appreciate you sentiment here, but I don't just accept a risk with a shrug of my shoulders and hope for the best. I choose to put myself at risk for others sake. You, i'm sure, live a perfectly safe and quiet life, and probably will never have a need for the police. However, there are others who are beaten, robbed, raped, and killed. They need and deserve for their offender to be brought to justice. I'm the guy that chooses to put myself in danger by confronting that offender and taking him into custody. There are neighborhoods plagued with drug dealers who make life in that neighborhood a living hell as the residents hide in their homes in fear of catching a stray bullet. They need someone to confront those dealers and take them out of those neighborhoods. I'm that guy. There are battered women who need someone to lock up that abusive boyfriend who is especially violent. I choose to be that guy for her benefit. Yes, risk comes with that, but why shouldn't it be minimized as much as possible for me? Our country needs soldiers to defend our freedom. Should we not give them the equipment and ability to undertake that task with as little risk to their safety as possible? Or do we just tell them 'well you knew the risk when you signed up, so quit complaining and go do your job?'

3) If the firearm made you at all nervous or in fear for your safety, you had every right to leave the person alone and leave the proximity while defending your life in escaping if you are engaged. The extra fear that might occur comes from the fact that you are already exercising a power that another person does not have. By pulling this person over, you put yourself in an adversarial role to their rights and liberty. I dare say that if I, for instance, did the same thing to this person, he probably would have shot me. And I wouldn't really blame him.

Which is exactly why police need Terry protection. You're absolutely right that me pulling them over puts them automatically in a state of animosity towards me. Which is why having them armed is specifically dangerous should their emotion get the best of them and they decide to act out. Again, every time an officer confronts an armed person who has animosity towards the officer, I should just walk away? What would that do to society? It would quickly be over run by whatever gang had the most fire power, and the common citizen would either cower in fear, or if they were an armed citizen, they would band together with other armed citizens to fight the gang. There would be blood and chaos in the streets (i.e. "Wild Wild West"). Would that be better?

As a side story - I had someone try to 'pull me over' in New Haven. He ended up making roadrunner dust clouds back around my car and leaving about 30 feet of rubber when he noticed the muzzle of a Glock 22. He was right to do that too, because I was not bluffing. My concern was not whether he had a government permission slip to do what he was doing or anything else. My concern was that he had blocked my travel and was approaching my vehicle in a threatening manner. Now think about how they tell you to approach a car in the academy and how many times a police officer will approach a car with their hand on their sidearm. What would you think/do if you were in your car and someone walked towards your door with their eyes fixed on you and their hand on their firearm?

I'm assuming this wasn't a uniformed officer, and if that was the case then that's exactly what you should have done. Now to a person approached by an officer, who no doubt appears intimidating, most people know that we are not free to impose our own will on people. The difference between me and citizens is that while I have extra authority and power, I also have extra rules that I am limited by. Criminals have no rules. Most people know that if they are pulled over, they are going to get a ticket, and they'll be on their way. That is unless of course they are involved in other illegal activity, in which case they should be worried.

Remember that not everyone believes that a LEO has some sort of extra power/rights/authority over them and will treat a LEO the same way. They are not all just 'gangbangers' or 'on drugs' or whatever will be used to justify their behavior in the reports. Some people just understand that they are human and so are you. This kind of understanding is going to become more common and more pronounced over time. It is important that you understand it completely.

Which is exactly why I'm more at risk. But I still have a job to do that is to the benefit of all of society in general.

Don't lose sight of what is good and right by justifying actions with the law.

I won't, not because of law, but because I am governed by God, and answer to Him.

If what I am describing makes you think "Well, it would be difficult to do any of my job if I lived by those rules" then congratulations. This is why 'law enforcement' is wrong.

Law enforcement if wrong? Then tell me Rich, what would America look like without it? I'd really like to know what your vision of that America would be.

It is why policing was so very different even a few decades ago. Look at the way police forces have changed. Look at the avalanche of man made laws that have no victim. Police once upon a time called themselves 'peace officers' and would have been appalled at what goes on today on a regular basis. The job of a peace officer is meant to be difficult and very limited in power. Sound familiar? The same principle was to be applied to all elements of the government.

True Rich. And I could spawn a whole other debate on this concept. I will argue that government, and police, have reacted, responded, and evolved based on what society has given them. This country was founded on good, Christian, virtuous, and moral men. They governed themselves because they answered to God, not government. Alexis De Tocqueville, in his observation of America in the late 1700's said "America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."

However, as time passed and people began rejecting God and embracing their own carnal nature, there became more need for a heavy handed government and laws to keep people in line.

Fast forward into police history, police had to involve according to the threats to the public they encountered. There was no SWAT team until after the 1966 Univ. of Texas bell tower sniper/shootings. Police were completely unequipped to stop him. There were no patrol rifles until the 1997 North Hollywood bank robbery and shootout, when the public and police were at the mercy of "the bad guys." There was no "active shooter" police response plan until after the Columbine incident. Before that it was hold the perimeter and wait for the hostage negotiator. Not anymore. Now first two officers on scene go in and face the threat immediately. That's the reason why Major Nadal Hassan (sp?) was stopped from killing even more soldiers - because that one officer didn't wait around but went right in to stop the threat because she had received active shooter training.

My point is that police evolved and became more militarized over time based on the threats they faced which they were completely unequipped for. The police evolved as the evil in society did. It's nothing we chose for ourselves. The more evil and savage or society becomes, the more laws will be passed, the stronger government will become, and the more militarized the police will become. But that's not the police's fault. It is because of the evil that is among us.

Shawn Mitola

In my opinion. all this talk about RAS and suspicion is pointless. Lucky as far as I'm concerned you were justified in disarming him as soon as he blurted out that he he has a permit but he doesn't have it on him. By CT law he has admitted to committing a crime since it is required that a CT permit holder carry his permit on his person. This admission by the driver gives the officer the justification to investigate further. As you said lucky you could have cited him for not having the permit on him... I'm glad you didn't though... All the posts here that are condemning the way you handled the stop need to remember the fact that the driver Admitted to committing a crime by not having his permit.

Now if the driver had kept his mouth shut and never said anything about the gun, that would have changed everything. Since you had pulled him over for a traffic violation, the mere presence of the gun in my opinion would not be RAS of a crime so no justification for anything involving the gun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
IMHO - way too many words, some a wall of text, to describe a simple, routine traffic stop. Nothing new or different here.

wrightme

In my opinion. all this talk about RAS and suspicion is pointless. Lucky as far as I'm concerned you were justified in disarming him as soon as he blurted out that he he has a permit but he doesn't have it on him. By CT law he has admitted to committing a crime since it is required that a CT permit holder carry his permit on his person. This admission by the driver gives the officer the justification to investigate further. As you said lucky you could have cited him for not having the permit on him... I'm glad you didn't though... All the posts here that are condemning the way you handled the stop need to remember the fact that the driver Admitted to committing a crime by not having his permit.

Now if the driver had kept his mouth shut and never said anything about the gun, that would have changed everything. Since you had pulled him over for a traffic violation, the mere presence of the gun in my opinion would not be RAS of a crime so no justification for anything involving the gun.

Armed and dangerous. He wasn't.

CT Barfly

+1 It seems that it has become all to common lately that a "Terry Stop" is justified because ARMED automatically equals ARMED AND DANGEROUS.

Probable cause was what luckykid had...probable cause to ARREST for TWO VIOLATIONS. this was not a Terry stop in any sense of the idea.

wrightme

Probable cause was what luckykid had...probable cause to ARREST for TWO VIOLATIONS. this was not a Terry stop in any sense of the idea.

The permit carry has only the following penalty:

Sec. 29-37. Penalties. (a) Any person violating any provision of section 29-28 or 29-31 shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than three years or both, and any pistol or revolver found in the possession of any person in violation of any of said provisions shall be forfeited.

(b) Any person violating any provision of subsection (a) of section 29-35 may be fined not more than one thousand dollars and shall be imprisoned not less than one year or more than five years, and, in the absence of any mitigating circumstances as determined by the court, one year of the sentence imposed may not be suspended or reduced by the court. The court shall specifically state the mitigating circumstances, or the absence thereof, in writing for the record. Any pistol or revolver found in the possession of any person in violation of any provision of subsection (a) of section 29-35 shall be forfeited.

(c) Any person violating any provision of subsection (b) of section 29-35 shall have committed an infraction and shall be fined thirty-five dollars.
http://cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap529.htm#Sec29-35.htm
Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

(b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one's person while carrying such pistol or revolver.

luckyykid

To quote you (with my highlighting):

What did the person you pulled over do to make you feel he was "presently a danger" to you? Simply being armed was NOT what Terry said. Had the person matched one of the people you were looking for, then it would be understandable, but you did not say that. He just had a moving violation and had a weapon visible. I have to say that your desire to "go home safely" is a hollow excuse at best.

Again, let me quote you on Mimms (my emphasis in red):

I notice a pattern...you keep leaving the essential element of "dangerous" out of your emphasis. What was your "reasonable" belief that he was dangerous to you...other than your desire for a safe and secure occupation? ;)

On a side note...why do you think it is reasonable to "handle" someone's property and return it is a different condition than you "seized" it?

Terry made absolutely no indication that there was a "two-prong" test required to justify the pat-down. No where in there does it state that the officer must first have reasonable suspicion that the person is armed, AND THEN have reasonable suspicion that the person is dangerous. They use the terms to go hand in hand. I'll admit that isn't terribly clear in Terry, they did make it very clear in subsequent cases Long, Mimms and, King.

In Mimms, the court said "The bulge in the jacket permitted the officer to conclude that Mimms was armed and thus posed a serious and present danger to the safety of the officer." Maybe you're not clear on what thus means, but I'll interpret. The phrase could have been written "armed and therefore posed a serious and present danger" or "armed and consequently posed a serious and present danger." You could also insert so, henceforth, thereupon, accordingly, and/or ergo. Mimms holding was that armed is dangerous. Why on earth would they have upheld the search as valid otherwise? It was a traffic stop for an expired tag. They asked him to step out and saw a bulge. The patted him and found a gun. The court upheld the pat down. The court did not raise into question that Mimms gave absolutely no other indication that he was dangerous right? +1

In Michigan v. Long, the court said "Our past cases indicate, then, that protection of police and others can justify protective searches when police have a reasonable belief that the suspect poses a danger, that roadside encounters between police and suspects are especially hazardous, and that danger may arise from the possible presence of weapons in the area surrounding a suspect." No mention of armed plus dangerous. Also in this case, this stumbling mumbling drunk gave no other indication that he was dangerous. Other than the presence of a weapon, there was no other reasonable suspicion that he was dangerous. And the court upheld the search right? +1

In King, the court said " Thus, her concern for her safety was based on specific articulable facts, making the justification for ordering King out of the car even more critical than that presented by the officers in Mimms. Officer LeMasters' observation of an apparently loaded pistol within Defendants' immediate reach would justify her separation of Defendants from the pistol in order to ensure her own safety during the encounter. So maybe I'm missing something here, but as far as I can tell the court says that observation of a gun justified the separation of the subject from the gun. No where does it say that the separation would not be justified because the officer had no separate RAS that the subject was dangerous. They also noted that her justification would have been even more critical than in Mimms. The court said the separation would have been justified. +1

In all three cases, don't you think the court would recognize it's own ruling that there were two parts to the justification for a pat down - armed AND dangerous? They don't because it doesn't exist.

On a side note, is this whole +1 thing really necessary. I threw them in there because it kind of seems to be the thing to do for whatever reason, but it's really lame. Are playing Mario Brothers here or something?

Last edited:

luckyykid

I have to say that your desire to "go home safely" is a hollow excuse at best.

Yeah the court disagrees with you on this one too.

"The State's proffered justification for such order - the officer's safety - is both legitimate and weighty, and the intrusion into respondent's personal liberty occasioned by the order, being at most a mere inconvenience, cannot prevail when balanced against legitimate concerns for the officer's safety.........What is at most a mere inconvenience cannot prevail when balanced against legitimate concerns for the officer's safety. Pennsylvania v. Mimms (1977)

luckyykid

The Terry case defined a seizure as follows: (a) Whenever a police officer accosts an individual and restrains his freedom to walk away, he has "seized" that person within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment. P. 16.

If you're not free to leave, it's a seizure. On a traffic stop you're not free to leave....not saying you would, but anyone who doesn't believe that, next time you get pulled over, try driving away.

PALO

Yeah the court disagrees with you on this one too.

"The State's proffered justification for such order - the officer's safety - is both legitimate and weighty, and the intrusion into respondent's personal liberty occasioned by the order, being at most a mere inconvenience, cannot prevail when balanced against legitimate concerns for the officer's safety.........What is at most a mere inconvenience cannot prevail when balanced against legitimate concerns for the officer's safety. Pennsylvania v. Mimms (1977)

NICE! You quoted PA v. Mimms. I've read a lot of stuff on that case. I did some roll call trainin on it the other day. WA is much more restrictive towards LEO search and seizure issues than the federal standard, and most states. I could give a million examples, but for example- during a traffic stop (as opposed to terry stop of a vehicle), we cannot control the passenger's movement. Iow, unless they committed a violation, like no seatbelt, they are free to exit the car and we can't tell them not to. We don't have DUI checkpoints. We can't search garbage at the curb. We don't employ (for the most part) the Inevitable Discovery Doctrine. We cannot hot pursuit into a private residence for "minor misdemeanors". We can't search MV interior on a search incident to arrest. Pretext stops are forbidden. We generally don't accept 'plain feel' doctrine during pat frisks. We need much more PC and PC with a specific nexus to the residence itself in order to get a search warrant for a home. We need 3 buys (this is mostly based on filing standards as well in my county - counties handle felony cases) from a CI before we can get a search warrant for a home. We have pretty strict rules on criteria needed to ask for consent to search on a traffic infraction stop (forbidden to "expand the scope" of a mere civil infraction stop in most cases by asking to consent search), on an infraction stop we generally cannot even ask the passenger his name to check for warrants, etc. etc. etc. etc.

However, we DO accept the results of PA v. Mimms and many cops do not realize we have that authority. That's why I conducted roll call training on it. It's a good decision, based on sound reasoning and imo entirely consistent with the 4th amendment. If I pull over a car with more than 2 people in it, I am especially likely to order the driver out of the car, because watching more than 2 sets of hands as well as having the backseat passengers at my side/behind makes it difficult to maintain safety, whereas if i talk to the driver behind the car, I can more easily protect myself. There are also a lot of side benefit investigation benefits to seperate them - like if i ask a question of the driver, then return to the car and ask the passenger(s) the same question I can now test veracity in a way I can;t do when they are seated together.

cheers

luckyykid

That's not entirely accurate because he didn't admit to a crime but a violation (i.e. infraction) payable by fine. It's no different than a seat belt ticket.

In regards to this, I disagree. See my post to Carolina Guy regarding presence of a weapon on a motor vehicle stop.