• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry resident restriction?

Meridia

Fairly (imo) dumb question:

There's very little law wise on open carry in PA, but my question is, is it limited to residents only? In many states it is, or doesn't exist(Hello, Kalifornistan) but a friend of mine traveling out of state to PA was asking me because I used to live there(26 years... ). I said I had no idea but I'd try to find out.

Anyone?

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
There is no (zero, zip, nada) restrictions on who (resident or nonresident) can openly carry a handgun in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania except for the usual restrictions (not a prohibited person, LTCF or recognized out-of-state license in Philadelphia, underage, etc.).

Any restriction on resident vs. nonresident would violate the Equal Protection clause of the U.S. Constitution (and there's probably something in the Pennsylvania State Constitution, too).

jegoodin

I'm from VA and OC in PA all the time and never had any problems. I also got a PA non-resident CC permit, it was very easy to get and took about 2 weeks, which is about 4 wees less than my VA resident permit.

Curmudgeon

I'm from VA and OC in PA all the time and never had any problems. I also got a PA non-resident CC permit, it was very easy to get and took about 2 weeks, which is about 4 wees less than my VA resident permit.

Just out of curiosity, which county did you go to for your PA license?