• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which does Occam's Razor favor?

minarchist

(1) There exists an immensely complex, uncreated super-intelligent being.

(2) The universe began as a simple, uncreated singularity.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Wasn't he excommunicated?

Clearly it is easier to say that God made the universe. Simple yes?

Plus, this idea is not suitable to examine the existence or nonexistence of a supreme being.

And there is little data supporting a singularity as being the beginning of our universe.

eye95

The OP question has built-in bias, designed to get the desired answer.

Phrase it in a less hateful way, and you might get some worthwhile answers.

BTW, folks who attempt to answer such a question (or pose it) might just want to make sure they know what Occam's Razor really says, not just pop-culture version.

arentol

It favors neither. The correct question is:

What explanation for the universe is favored most by Occam's Razor?

The answer, based on all available common current suggestions, is "Ancestor Simulation"

I prefer to believe this isn't the case, but mathematically it is the most likely.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

minarchist

It favors neither. The correct question is:

What explanation for the universe its favored most by Occam's Razor?

The answer, based on all available common current suggestions, is "Ancestor Simulation"

I prefer to believe this isn't the case, but mathematically it is the most likely.

Are you referring to the holographic universe theory?

arentol

Are you referring to the holographic universe theory?

Nope, that one is just silly. Ancestor Simulation....

www.simulation-argument.com

The primary part to read is Nick Bostrom's original paper on the subject from 2003.

Interestingly, it actually does mean there is an all powerful creator, just not the kind we expect.

Another interesting thing about it is that it is the only explanation that fits for the show Lost. The first year the producers said there was a scientific explanation for everything that happened on the show.... But there isn't except for the whole world being a simulation and the island being the place errors in the simulation go to be fixed a/o studied to improve the simulation.