Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article about Oberlin firearm laws

Interesting article about Oberlin firearm laws

http://theoberlinnewstribune.com/loc...te-carry-laws/

City to fight state carry laws

By Ken Silva
    ksilva@civitasmedia.com

Some might call it a chill­ing effect on free­dom and democ­racy, oth­ers an exer­cise of a fun­da­men­tal right or a right­eous act of civil disobedience.

Either way, when a man and his wife openly car­ried their firearms on munic­i­pal prop­erty at the Fam­ily Fun Fair on Aug. 3, it may have set in motion a legal bat­tle with ram­i­fi­ca­tions for the whole state.
    I doubt Oberlin actually wants to fight the fight that Cleveland couldn't win.

------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Banned
    It would be a huge waste of taxpayer money.

what's the "privatizing the parks" thing... alarm bells ringing...

"said councilman Bryan Burgess. I feel powerless to do my duty to ensure the peace, health, and safety of the people who live here.

As if those threatening the peace, health, and safety of the people will disarm because of their signs. The voice of wisdom...
    The only people who should fear, good guys with guns, are bad guys...criminals and politicians included.
    No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.

So now OFCC has "compliance inspectors"? (according to the article)
    Last edited by BB62; 08-23-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BriKuz View Post
    I live in the City of Dayton. We have private parks in our neighborhood, owned and maintained by a homeowners association. We don't post against firearms, but we could. We discussed turning the maintenance over to the City at one point but we would have given up all control.

I think going the other direction, privatizing, would be messy. The original deeds on the land may prevent it. The State may look at it unfavorably if it's done to get around ORC 9.68
    The only people who should fear, good guys with guns, are bad guys...criminals and politicians included.
    No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.

Banned

Interesting article about Oberlin firearm laws

Privatizing wouldn't necessarily work. If they privatized the parks and then tried to prohibit firearms, they would be establishing that they were still in control of the parks, and IMO, 9.68 would still apply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    So now OFCC has "compliance inspectors"? (according to the article)
    I saw that too - I wonder what it takes to be come one? Do they get a uniform and a badge?
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

From what I gather, MWSY got "informed" of his new position RIGHT AFTER he got off the phone speaking with the reporter, making it seem unseemly that MWSY claimed he was just an independent person to the reporter ;-)

As an aside, the only thing I said to the Police Chief was that my wife and I were going to the PARK carrying... we didn't even KNOW about the street fair until we got there... and the street fair was all public right-of-way anyhow, so was not at issue with regards to OC or CC...

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    I saw that too - I wonder what it takes to be come one? Do they get a uniform and a badge?
    BOOK EM, Dano!!

I gotta remember to ask for a badge!

It is true that I was asked to be the ORC 9.68 Compliance Coordinator for OFCC. Like BriKuz said, I hung up with the reporter and checked my mail and found that invitation.

I accepted, but I haven't seen my $100,000 advance payment for services yet. Probably never will.

If anyone is available to attend the next Oberlin council meeting, please come. They decided to have 3 readings for the new ordinance instead of passing it as an emergency. That tells me they aren't really afraid of a lawsuit. They're passing it because they know they have to.

We should be there in force for the second and third readings.
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

It has been done in a few places around Ohio. (I've read there are at least a couple in the Columbus area.) That plan has its good and bad aspects, obviously, and may at some time make for a seperate thread of discussion. Suckerspawn braought up some good points, it might be illegal--through virtually inviolable deed restrictions--for some cities to give up park lands.

Heck, the state of Ohio has made attempts to give away some of their parks, ones that generate little or no revenue but (naturally) continue to require upkeep. I read where they tried to do that with two state parks in the SE part of Ohio. One was Strouds Run, near Athens. Both the city and Ohio University turned them down because of stipulations involving not tearing out the trees, draining the lake, etc. to put up structures, it had to be kept as green space.

Was glad that deal went sour, Strouds Run has a pistol/rifle range. (I guess it's still there, haven't been out that way in a couple years now.) Although not maintained very well it was handy when I was visiting the area.

As to Oberlin, I believe that even such a liberal bastion's residents would bristle at a protracted court fight with Ohio, since the matter has already been settled statewide.

Cleveland couldn't win it and oberlin def. won't. Looks like we need to schedule a walk. Ever since a guy dressed in a kkk outfit was seen in town the whole city is like a cornered liberal pitbull

Here's a different article on the topic

Recoil.

I wonder what it coast the tax payers in the City of Clyde to fight OFCC.

Did Chelsea interview you, MWSY?

Did Chelsea interview you, MWSY?
    Yep. And just like Ken Silva, she has me quoted as saying things I didn't say...exactly. The idea is correct, but the words were not quite right.

Will you be able to attend the next council meeting in Oberlin?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy bilt View Post
    I wonder what it coast the tax payers in the City of Clyde to fight OFCC.
    Ask them. It should be a public record. Ask Cleveland about Cleveland v. State 2010 while you're at it.

These would be nice numbers to have when little places like Oberlin want to consider fighting.

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    Yep. And just like Ken Silva, she has me quoted as saying things I didn't say...exactly. The idea is correct, but the words were not quite right.

Will you be able to attend the next council meeting in Oberlin?
    Whenever I speak with the press - I record it. keeps em honest and precise. Well, PRETTY honest and precise

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PALO View Post
    Whenever I speak with the press - I record it. keeps em honest and precise. Well, PRETTY honest and precise
    Funny, cuz, whenever I speak with the police - I record it. keeps em honest and precise. Well PRETTY honest and precise

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Funny, cuz, whenever I speak with the police - I record it. keeps em honest and precise. Well PRETTY honest and precise
    I encourage people to record cops, and encourage cops to record their encounters with noncops. In WA, we have two party consent, but it only applies to "private conversation" which means cop talking to noncop in any sort of official capacity is in no way a private conversation, fwiw , so that law doesn't apply. I actually brought this up in my last roll call, because many cops seem to think other people can record US, but we can't record them without notifying. Hogwash. It goes both ways.

Of course, the overwhelming majority of cops ARE honest and that's not just my opinion. It's the opinion of laypeople per polling.. .gallup.

The american public gives us very high marks. Journalists get very low marks, as do attorneys

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PALO View Post
    I encourage people to record cops, and encourage cops to record their encounters with noncops. In WA, we have two party consent, but it only applies to "private conversation" which means cop talking to noncop in any sort of official capacity is in no way a private conversation, fwiw , so that law doesn't apply. I actually brought this up in my last roll call, because many cops seem to think other people can record US, but we can't record them without notifying. Hogwash. It goes both ways.

Of course, the overwhelming majority of cops ARE honest and that's not just my opinion. It's the opinion of laypeople per polling.. .gallup.

The american public gives us very high marks.
    Journalists get very low marks, as do attorneys
    Maybe,but the general public doesn't know what we at opencarry.org knows......

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Maybe,but the general public doesn't know what we at opencarry.org knows......
    THat's the usual argument of people who don't trust cops and people in general who hold a niche position, or for that matter 911 truthers...

"if only the general public KNEW what MY GROUP knows, they would agree with me"

I realize you are joking, but it's a common viewpoint one sees in all sorts of issues. It's most common ime with progressives, the idea that they hold "special knowledge" that justifies their positions and the general public is ignorant of same. If only they could teach them (see: consciousness raising), they would change their minds. There's that whole "speaking truth to power" thang.

I am the first to agree that cops on the whole have done a craptastic job in dealing with OC, and dealing with filmers. Out of al the things cops do, dealing with OCers is one of the very rare areas where they have just been in the wrong way too often.

But when it comes to honesty, etc. I really am glad that such a high percentage of the public perceive cops as honest (58% rate us good to very good, 32% rate us average 7 % rate us poor and 3% rate us very poor - this puts us in a favorable position in relation to most other careers, with nurses, teachers, and several other careers outclassing us!)

I've witnessed cops do stupid things, reckless things, incredibly brave things, etc. I've seen excessive force, laziness, etc.

But I've never seen /witnessed dishonesty by any cop I work with. I know it happens, but imo and ime it's pretty rare. Granted, I chose to work for an excellent agency (i've worked for two others as well).

Some agencies have a well documented history of shady stuff - new Orleans PD comes to mind (historically one of the worst paid dept's also)

Regardless , not only does filming cops tend to keep them honest, it also protects them from false complaints, gets evidence against them for bad acts, etc.

Win/win/win

cheers

http://theoberlinnewstribune.com/cur...n-fair-kuzawa/

sure is putting it out there...

I'll be at the meeting on the 3rd, BTW...

http://theoberlinnewstribune.com/cur...n-fair-kuzawa/

sure is putting it out there...

I'll be at the meeting on the 3rd, BTW...
    Which meeting? The article said the next meeting was on 9/16.

Recoil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast