• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting article about Oberlin firearm laws

MyWifeSaidYes

http://theoberlinnewstribune.com/local-news/city-fight-state-carry-laws/

City to fight state carry laws

By Ken Silva
ksilva@civitasmedia.com

Some might call it a chill­ing effect on free­dom and democ­racy, oth­ers an exer­cise of a fun­da­men­tal right or a right­eous act of civil disobedience.

Either way, when a man and his wife openly car­ried their firearms on munic­i­pal prop­erty at the Fam­ily Fun Fair on Aug. 3, it may have set in motion a legal bat­tle with ram­i­fi­ca­tions for the whole state.

I doubt Oberlin actually wants to fight the fight that Cleveland couldn't win.

:rolleyes:

Suckerspawn

"said councilman Bryan Burgess. “I feel powerless to do my duty to ensure the peace, health, and safety of the people who live here.”

As if those threatening the peace, health, and safety of the people will disarm because of their signs. The voice of wisdom...

Suckerspawn

what's the "privatizing the parks" thing... alarm bells ringing...

I live in the City of Dayton. We have private parks in our neighborhood, owned and maintained by a homeowners association. We don't post against firearms, but we could. We discussed turning the maintenance over to the City at one point but we would have given up all control.

I think going the other direction, privatizing, would be messy. The original deeds on the land may prevent it. The State may look at it unfavorably if it's done to get around ORC 9.68

eye95

Privatizing wouldn't necessarily work. If they privatized the parks and then tried to prohibit firearms, they would be establishing that they were still in control of the parks, and IMO, 9.68 would still apply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

BriKuz

From what I gather, MWSY got "informed" of his new position RIGHT AFTER he got off the phone speaking with the reporter, making it seem unseemly that MWSY claimed he was just an independent person to the reporter ;-)

As an aside, the only thing I said to the Police Chief was that my wife and I were going to the PARK carrying... we didn't even KNOW about the street fair until we got there... and the street fair was all public right-of-way anyhow, so was not at issue with regards to OC or CC...

MyWifeSaidYes

I gotta remember to ask for a badge! :cool:

It is true that I was asked to be the ORC 9.68 Compliance Coordinator for OFCC. Like BriKuz said, I hung up with the reporter and checked my mail and found that invitation.

I accepted, but I haven't seen my $100,000 advance payment for services yet. Probably never will. :lol:

If anyone is available to attend the next Oberlin council meeting, please come. They decided to have 3 readings for the new ordinance instead of passing it as an emergency. That tells me they aren't really afraid of a lawsuit. They're passing it because they know they have to.

We should be there in force for the second and third readings.

Brian D.

what's the "privatizing the parks" thing... alarm bells ringing...

It has been done in a few places around Ohio. (I've read there are at least a couple in the Columbus area.) That plan has its good and bad aspects, obviously, and may at some time make for a seperate thread of discussion. Suckerspawn braought up some good points, it might be illegal--through virtually inviolable deed restrictions--for some cities to give up park lands.

Heck, the state of Ohio has made attempts to give away some of their parks, ones that generate little or no revenue but (naturally) continue to require upkeep. I read where they tried to do that with two state parks in the SE part of Ohio. One was Strouds Run, near Athens. Both the city and Ohio University turned them down because of stipulations involving not tearing out the trees, draining the lake, etc. to put up structures, it had to be kept as green space.

Was glad that deal went sour, Strouds Run has a pistol/rifle range. (I guess it's still there, haven't been out that way in a couple years now.) Although not maintained very well it was handy when I was visiting the area.

As to Oberlin, I believe that even such a liberal bastion's residents would bristle at a protracted court fight with Ohio, since the matter has already been settled statewide.

Jordysoso

Cleveland couldn't win it and oberlin def. won't. Looks like we need to schedule a walk. Ever since a guy dressed in a kkk outfit was seen in town the whole city is like a cornered liberal pitbull

MyWifeSaidYes

Did Chelsea interview you, MWSY?

Yep. And just like Ken Silva, she has me quoted as saying things I didn't say...exactly. The idea is correct, but the words were not quite right.

Will you be able to attend the next council meeting in Oberlin?

MyWifeSaidYes

I wonder what it coast the tax payers in the City of Clyde to fight OFCC.

Ask them. It should be a public record. Ask Cleveland about Cleveland v. State 2010 while you're at it.

These would be nice numbers to have when little places like Oberlin want to consider fighting. :banghead:

PALO

Yep. And just like Ken Silva, she has me quoted as saying things I didn't say...exactly. The idea is correct, but the words were not quite right.

Will you be able to attend the next council meeting in Oberlin?

Whenever I speak with the press - I record it. keeps em honest and precise. Well, PRETTY honest and precise :)

eye95

Whenever I speak with the press - I record it. keeps em honest and precise. Well, PRETTY honest and precise :)

Funny, cuz, whenever I speak with the police - I record it. keeps em honest and precise. Well PRETTY honest and precise :p