• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting article about Oberlin firearm laws

PALO

Funny, cuz, whenever I speak with the police - I record it. keeps em honest and precise. Well PRETTY honest and precise :p

I encourage people to record cops, and encourage cops to record their encounters with noncops. In WA, we have two party consent, but it only applies to "private conversation" which means cop talking to noncop in any sort of official capacity is in no way a private conversation, fwiw , so that law doesn't apply. I actually brought this up in my last roll call, because many cops seem to think other people can record US, but we can't record them without notifying. Hogwash. It goes both ways.

Of course, the overwhelming majority of cops ARE honest and that's not just my opinion. It's the opinion of laypeople per polling.. .gallup.

The american public gives us very high marks. Journalists get very low marks, as do attorneys

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I encourage people to record cops, and encourage cops to record their encounters with noncops. In WA, we have two party consent, but it only applies to "private conversation" which means cop talking to noncop in any sort of official capacity is in no way a private conversation, fwiw , so that law doesn't apply. I actually brought this up in my last roll call, because many cops seem to think other people can record US, but we can't record them without notifying. Hogwash. It goes both ways.

Of course, the overwhelming majority of cops ARE honest and that's not just my opinion. It's the opinion of laypeople per polling.. .gallup.

The american public gives us very high marks.
Journalists get very low marks, as do attorneys
Maybe,but the general public doesn't know what we at opencarry.org knows......:lol:

PALO

Maybe,but the general public doesn't know what we at opencarry.org knows......:lol:

THat's the usual argument of people who don't trust cops and people in general who hold a niche position, or for that matter 911 truthers...

"if only the general public KNEW what MY GROUP knows, they would agree with me"

I realize you are joking, but it's a common viewpoint one sees in all sorts of issues. It's most common ime with progressives, the idea that they hold "special knowledge" that justifies their positions and the general public is ignorant of same. If only they could teach them (see: consciousness raising), they would change their minds. There's that whole "speaking truth to power" thang.

I am the first to agree that cops on the whole have done a craptastic job in dealing with OC, and dealing with filmers. Out of al the things cops do, dealing with OCers is one of the very rare areas where they have just been in the wrong way too often.

But when it comes to honesty, etc. I really am glad that such a high percentage of the public perceive cops as honest (58% rate us good to very good, 32% rate us average 7 % rate us poor and 3% rate us very poor - this puts us in a favorable position in relation to most other careers, with nurses, teachers, and several other careers outclassing us!)

I've witnessed cops do stupid things, reckless things, incredibly brave things, etc. I've seen excessive force, laziness, etc.

But I've never seen /witnessed dishonesty by any cop I work with. I know it happens, but imo and ime it's pretty rare. Granted, I chose to work for an excellent agency (i've worked for two others as well).

Some agencies have a well documented history of shady stuff - new Orleans PD comes to mind (historically one of the worst paid dept's also)

Regardless , not only does filming cops tend to keep them honest, it also protects them from false complaints, gets evidence against them for bad acts, etc.

Win/win/win

cheers

Jordysoso

Ill be going to the meeting as long as I'm free. They need to understand guns aren't bad, the criminals that use them are. Ill be there arguing for our rights.

BriKuz

Sorry, forgot about OCDO... went to meeting... Second Reading was passed 6-1, with Charles Peterson dissenting, IIRC. Next meeting on Monday the 16th, 1900... they're pulling unscrupulous Corporation BS with trying to weasel around following State Law... possible privatization of parks, blah blah... minutes will be up AFTER the next meeting. Chief Miller was instructed by Councilman Bryan Burgess to have his officers approach EVERY open carrier ANYWHERE in the meeting, even though the Law Director specifically told the Council that without RAS, an OCer wouldn't even have to stop, let alone say anything to the officer... ;-) Better write-up tomorrow, but I may have lit off some serious crap with this one... oops :eek:

Brian D.

Sorry, forgot about OCDO... went to meeting... Second Reading was passed 6-1, with Charles Peterson dissenting, IIRC. Next meeting on Monday the 16th, 1900... they're pulling unscrupulous Corporation BS with trying to weasel around following State Law... possible privatization of parks, blah blah... minutes will be up AFTER the next meeting. Chief Miller was instructed by Councilman Bryan Burgess to have his officers approach EVERY open carrier ANYWHERE in the meeting, even though the Law Director specifically told the Council that without RAS, an OCer wouldn't even have to stop, let alone say anything to the officer... ;-) Better write-up tomorrow, but I may have lit off some serious crap with this one... oops :eek:

No, you're carrying on in exactly the same way some of us who've been around the 2A game longer than you were doing in various spots around Ohio for at least the last eight or nine years.. Trust me there were other towns giving off this kind of bluster.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Big article on cleveland.com (Plain Dealer web site) about this.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/09/citys_law_on_firearms_in_parks.html
Fairchild-Soucy said she believes she and her colleagues on Oberlin's council will fix the problem. She expects City Council to rescind the city's law, a move that would put the city in line with state law.

And she expects City Council to follow that with a vote of protest immediately afterward.

I think the city needs a gun rally after the vote just to rub it in.

SteveInCO