Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Any members up in northern michigan up for open carry meet and greet

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    charlotte/mint hill
    Posts
    34

    Any members up in northern michigan up for open carry meet and greet

    Hello all I've been an open carrier for some time but mainly in north carolina but I moved up to northern mi last december and recently started open carrying here in northern mi, I'm up near petosky any one care to have a bbq or meet?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by xmilitary View Post
    Hello all I've been an open carrier for some time but mainly in north carolina but I moved up to northern mi last december and recently started open carrying here in northern mi, I'm up near petosky any one care to have a bbq or meet?
    Welcome to Michigan! I know there are some posters in the Traverse City area so hopefully they will be by directly.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    charlotte/mint hill
    Posts
    34
    Thanks raggs, northern michigan is nice and quiet peaceful living at least in my neck of the woods. I haven't seen anyone carrying around town but I don't live in city limits and I rarely go to town so perhaps that's why I don't see any others lol

  4. #4
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Welcome to Michigan! I know there are some posters in the Traverse City area so hopefully they will be by directly.
    I was up there the last two weekends... just missed my opportunity.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by xmilitary View Post
    Hello all I've been an open carrier for some time but mainly in north carolina but I moved up to northern mi last december and recently started open carrying here in northern mi, I'm up near petosky any one care to have a bbq or meet?
    http://yoopersteez.com/post/what-act...thern-michigan
    Rand Paul 2016

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    341
    I was in MI last weekend. I rode my bike from VA to MI for the midnight ride over the Mackinaw Bridge to St Ignace.
    I open carried the whole time. Never got even a strange look out of anyone.

    I stopped at Jay's Sporting Goods in Gaylord on my way back on Sunday. I liked the sign posted that said open carriers were welcome!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Traverse City, MI, ,
    Posts
    147
    I would be interested in something a little closer to TC.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    charlotte/mint hill
    Posts
    34
    Good to hear others open carrying up here without problems, I carry most every where I'm legally allowed and I Haven't run in to any issues yet. Traverse city is close to 2 hours away from where I live as I'm north of petosky close to levering. I made the drive from charlotte nc to carp lake mi 4 times when we bought this house 975 miles each way but that was in my truck I don't know that id want to make that trip on a motorcycle lol but any way if we can organize a meet id make the drive.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clinton Twp
    Posts
    257
    Was wondering the same thing. Lol

    /win
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

  10. #10
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetal View Post
    Was wondering the same thing. Lol

    /win
    Made a map to make it easier. Red line divides eastern Michigan from western Michigan. Blue line divides northern Michigan from southern Michigan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	michigan_90.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	10746  
    Rand Paul 2016

  11. #11
    Regular Member Ironside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ocoee, Florida
    Posts
    101

    Set the Record Straight

    Sorry Guys, I may be living in Florida but I still consider Calumet my home. Northern Michigan is the Upper Peninsula. Period.

    The line stops at the Mackinac Bridge. I know this because I walked across it when it was dedicated. We Yoopers take umbrage with the cads in Lansing who, for years, took our tax money and never sent any back.

    Did you ever hear of the State of Superior? That's what we would call the Upper if we could secede.

    No funky Blue Line. The bridge is it.
    When those in Government fail to see the danger in too much Government, they become the danger.
    (Original quote by me)

    If we lose the Second Amendment it is only a matter of time before we lose the First Amendment, then the Fourth Amendment and then it is all downhill from there ...

    I've OCed and didn't scare the horses or stampede the women!

    It's too late to train when you are in the middle of a gunfight ... (me)

    IDPA SSP/MM

  12. #12
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Sorry Guys, I may be living in Florida but I still consider Calumet my home. Northern Michigan is the Upper Peninsula. Period.

    The line stops at the Mackinac Bridge. I know this because I walked across it when it was dedicated. We Yoopers take umbrage with the cads in Lansing who, for years, took our tax money and never sent any back.

    Did you ever hear of the State of Superior? That's what we would call the Upper if we could secede.

    No funky Blue Line. The bridge is it.
    I'm not disagreeing with you at all Ironside. I based it off of the halfway point between the northern most and southern most points, (and east/west to divide those). Living in the Houghton/Hancock area, to me the bridge is the dividing line as well.
    Rand Paul 2016

  13. #13
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBW View Post
    I would be interested in something a little closer to TC.
    http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/...ic,3290.0.html
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Q Welcome back!
    Last edited by Raggs; 08-25-2013 at 07:21 AM.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    charlotte/mint hill
    Posts
    34
    I'm not quite sure why all the up and northern michigan comments came up lol I live 10 miles from the bridge and I've only heard the upper peninsula as the up and where I live is northern mi I dont see an issue calling mackinaw city northern mi while its not the northern most part of michigan it most definitely falls into northern mi. I didn't think yoopers wanted to be lumped into the category of northern mi anyway crap idk lol. Looks like there isn't any open carriers close to my area yet.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by xmilitary View Post
    I'm not quite sure why all the up and northern michigan comments came up lol I live 10 miles from the bridge and I've only heard the upper peninsula as the up and where I live is northern mi I dont see an issue calling mackinaw city northern mi while its not the northern most part of michigan it most definitely falls into northern mi. I didn't think yoopers wanted to be lumped into the category of northern mi anyway crap idk lol. Looks like there isn't any open carriers close to my area yet.
    I was a little curious about that as well, It is all one state.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    21
    There aren't very man OCers in the Petoskey area. I have only seen one, other than myself. Things are pretty quiet here, once you get out of town. That's just the way we like it.

    I would be open to a get together, if we can get a few people to come. I live 8 miles south of Petoskey.

  18. #18
    Regular Member NMadole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    71

    Traverse City Open Carrier

    I have lived in Traverse City for about a year (Grand Rapids Previously) and I am a member of MOC. I would be up for a meet up sometime.

    There is an Open carry seminar and dinner going on in Traverse City,MI on October 5th if you are interested

    Seminar: https://www.facebook.com/events/210369802458703/
    Dinner: https://www.facebook.com/events/188342094680376/

    So far 8 people are confirmed for the dinner on facebook.

    ... I also provide low cost FFL services from my house in TC
    The Gun Store TC

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    charlotte/mint hill
    Posts
    34
    Knifemaker what do you carry? It would be nice if we could get a few others to get together but I don't know many people around the area other than my immediate neighbors and they don't open carry. Perhaps more OCers will chime in. Id like to have a bbq before it gets to cold I have a farm so lots of fresh food and perhaps a roast of lamb or pig if we could get a few guys to come up from traverse city. NMadole what do you carry? I carry a glock 22

  20. #20
    Regular Member Ironside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ocoee, Florida
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you at all Ironside. I based it off of the halfway point between the northern most and southern most points, (and east/west to divide those). Living in the Houghton/Hancock area, to me the bridge is the dividing line as well.
    Happy to hear that someone agrees with me ...

    I missed the chance for a trip up this summer but I may make it next year. I'll keep you in mind.


    Ironside
    When those in Government fail to see the danger in too much Government, they become the danger.
    (Original quote by me)

    If we lose the Second Amendment it is only a matter of time before we lose the First Amendment, then the Fourth Amendment and then it is all downhill from there ...

    I've OCed and didn't scare the horses or stampede the women!

    It's too late to train when you are in the middle of a gunfight ... (me)

    IDPA SSP/MM

  21. #21
    Regular Member NMadole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by xmilitary View Post
    Knifemaker what do you carry? It would be nice if we could get a few others to get together but I don't know many people around the area other than my immediate neighbors and they don't open carry. Perhaps more OCers will chime in. Id like to have a bbq before it gets to cold I have a farm so lots of fresh food and perhaps a roast of lamb or pig if we could get a few guys to come up from traverse city. NMadole what do you carry? I carry a glock 22
    I carry a Gen 3 Glock 22 w/ Trijicon Night Sights!! ... but I am throwing around the idea of selling it and getting a Sig P226 or just a Gen 4 Glock 22

    Since I have my FFL I can get some pretty sweet deals ...

    I would come up for a BBQ if I am free
    Last edited by NMadole; 08-25-2013 at 10:44 PM.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    charlotte/mint hill
    Posts
    34
    I have the tritium tru dots on my gen4 I also put a 3.5 ghost in as well if we have a bbq you can see if you like it,I've made a few other mods to it for comfort during extended shooting sessions. Those 226's look nice though id like to have one. Ironside did you wear an old ironside patch?

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by xmilitary View Post
    I'm not quite sure why all the up and northern michigan comments came up lol I live 10 miles from the bridge and I've only heard the upper peninsula as the up and where I live is northern mi I dont see an issue calling mackinaw city northern mi while its not the northern most part of michigan it most definitely falls into northern mi. I didn't think yoopers wanted to be lumped into the category of northern mi anyway crap idk lol. Looks like there isn't any open carriers close to my area yet.
    This is exactly my feeling on the matter. If you are going to the U.P. then you are going to the U.P., you aren't going up north. "Up north" is the upper half of the lower peninsula, which for me anything north of Mount Pleasant is up north.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    charlotte/mint hill
    Posts
    34
    Jeffery if we have a bbq you should try and make it, although I know warrens a few hours away. We can shoot on my property I'm. In the process of building a shooting range with targets at distances from 10 to 100 plus yards

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by xmilitary View Post
    Jeffery if we have a bbq you should try and make it, although I know warrens a few hours away. We can shoot on my property I'm. In the process of building a shooting range with targets at distances from 10 to 100 plus yards
    I'm actually going up north this weekend. (Sorry U.P. folks, I mean I'm going to Mount Pleasant.) My weekend is going to be the same thing; building a range, building some gun benches, putting up targets, building a pistol tree with hinged targets. We finished most of the work on the cabin a couple years ago, built the deck last year, so now we are looking for new projects. We are shooting more and more on the property, so this makes the most sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •