• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any members up in northern michigan up for open carry meet and greet

xmilitary

Hello all I've been an open carrier for some time but mainly in north carolina but I moved up to northern mi last december and recently started open carrying here in northern mi, I'm up near petosky any one care to have a bbq or meet?

Raggs

Hello all I've been an open carrier for some time but mainly in north carolina but I moved up to northern mi last december and recently started open carrying here in northern mi, I'm up near petosky any one care to have a bbq or meet?

Welcome to Michigan! I know there are some posters in the Traverse City area so hopefully they will be by directly.

xmilitary

Thanks raggs, northern michigan is nice and quiet peaceful living at least in my neck of the woods. I haven't seen anyone carrying around town but I don't live in city limits and I rarely go to town so perhaps that's why I don't see any others lol

jegoodin

I was in MI last weekend. I rode my bike from VA to MI for the midnight ride over the Mackinaw Bridge to St Ignace.
I open carried the whole time. Never got even a strange look out of anyone.

I stopped at Jay's Sporting Goods in Gaylord on my way back on Sunday. I liked the sign posted that said open carriers were welcome!

xmilitary

Good to hear others open carrying up here without problems, I carry most every where I'm legally allowed and I Haven't run in to any issues yet. Traverse city is close to 2 hours away from where I live as I'm north of petosky close to levering. I made the drive from charlotte nc to carp lake mi 4 times when we bought this house 975 miles each way but that was in my truck I don't know that id want to make that trip on a motorcycle lol but any way if we can organize a meet id make the drive.

Ironside

Set the Record Straight

Sorry Guys, I may be living in Florida but I still consider Calumet my home. Northern Michigan is the Upper Peninsula. Period.

The line stops at the Mackinac Bridge. I know this because I walked across it when it was dedicated. We Yoopers take umbrage with the cads in Lansing who, for years, took our tax money and never sent any back.

Did you ever hear of the State of Superior? That's what we would call the Upper if we could secede.

No funky Blue Line. The bridge is it.

Yooper

Sorry Guys, I may be living in Florida but I still consider Calumet my home. Northern Michigan is the Upper Peninsula. Period.

The line stops at the Mackinac Bridge. I know this because I walked across it when it was dedicated. We Yoopers take umbrage with the cads in Lansing who, for years, took our tax money and never sent any back.

Did you ever hear of the State of Superior? That's what we would call the Upper if we could secede.

No funky Blue Line. The bridge is it.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all Ironside. I based it off of the halfway point between the northern most and southern most points, (and east/west to divide those). Living in the Houghton/Hancock area, to me the bridge is the dividing line as well.

xmilitary

I'm not quite sure why all the up and northern michigan comments came up lol I live 10 miles from the bridge and I've only heard the upper peninsula as the up and where I live is northern mi I dont see an issue calling mackinaw city northern mi while its not the northern most part of michigan it most definitely falls into northern mi. I didn't think yoopers wanted to be lumped into the category of northern mi anyway crap idk lol. Looks like there isn't any open carriers close to my area yet.

Raggs

I'm not quite sure why all the up and northern michigan comments came up lol I live 10 miles from the bridge and I've only heard the upper peninsula as the up and where I live is northern mi I dont see an issue calling mackinaw city northern mi while its not the northern most part of michigan it most definitely falls into northern mi. I didn't think yoopers wanted to be lumped into the category of northern mi anyway crap idk lol. Looks like there isn't any open carriers close to my area yet.

I was a little curious about that as well, It is all one state.

knifemaker

There aren't very man OCers in the Petoskey area. I have only seen one, other than myself. Things are pretty quiet here, once you get out of town. That's just the way we like it.

I would be open to a get together, if we can get a few people to come. I live 8 miles south of Petoskey.

NMadole

Traverse City Open Carrier

I have lived in Traverse City for about a year (Grand Rapids Previously) and I am a member of MOC. I would be up for a meet up sometime.

There is an Open carry seminar and dinner going on in Traverse City,MI on October 5th if you are interested

Seminar: https://www.facebook.com/events/210369802458703/
Dinner: https://www.facebook.com/events/188342094680376/

So far 8 people are confirmed for the dinner on facebook.

... I also provide low cost FFL services from my house in TC
The Gun Store TC

xmilitary

Knifemaker what do you carry? It would be nice if we could get a few others to get together but I don't know many people around the area other than my immediate neighbors and they don't open carry. Perhaps more OCers will chime in. Id like to have a bbq before it gets to cold I have a farm so lots of fresh food and perhaps a roast of lamb or pig if we could get a few guys to come up from traverse city. NMadole what do you carry? I carry a glock 22

Ironside

I'm not disagreeing with you at all Ironside. I based it off of the halfway point between the northern most and southern most points, (and east/west to divide those). Living in the Houghton/Hancock area, to me the bridge is the dividing line as well.

Happy to hear that someone agrees with me ...

I missed the chance for a trip up this summer but I may make it next year. I'll keep you in mind.

Ironside