• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Reports

Lovenox

I notice on some of the Open Carry reports that "they didn't even notice" (paraphrasing) is part of a lot of the entries. Do you think that they : A) actually don't see the weapon on your person B) Assume that you are plainclothes LEO of some type or C) Are familiar with the fact that you carry and is a normal everyday scene..

tombrewster421

Some of A, mostly not B because I'm usually in grubby work clothes, C only applies to places I go a lot.

D they don't know you at all and it's just not a big deal. 50%

hermannr

I notice on some of the Open Carry reports that "they didn't even notice" (paraphrasing) is part of a lot of the entries. Do you think that they : A) actually don't see the weapon on your person B) Assume that you are plainclothes LEO of some type or C) Are familiar with the fact that you carry and is a normal everyday scene..

Most people are more concerned with themselves than their environment, and because of this are not very observant. Have you ever seen the video where some people do some really outrageous things on a college campus and that video of the reactions? About one in 100 actually notice.

sudden valley gunner

More people notice than the gun carrier think. People tend to be discreet, my other half and my nephew when he was cruising everywhere with me always tell me about the people who "notice" and look discretely.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I am one of the people who uses the term " they didn't even notice" on occasion. I think "A" applies a lot, as I have friends and family who know me take up to 30 minutes to notice I am carrying. I have open carried into establishments where I fully expected to be asked not to carry, and no one even glanced down at my waist.

On the other hand, I'm just an older, grey haired guy who most people probably just assume I'm "compensating" for my "other" deficiencies and figure I'm harmless...........

Freedom1Man

I think some people just don't notice.

I took my jacket off right in front of a lady. While looking for a book in her shop (it was rather warm to me).
I went from 1 OC to 2 OC and she did not notice my shoulder holster at all. She did notice my leg holster though and then said she didn't like guns and asked me to leave.

I won't be shopping there ever again.

509rifas

"All of the above."

I've been OCing around town cuz my CPL expired a few days ago; most people don't look twice, except people passing in cars for some reason.