Thread: This needs attention

This needs attention

Found out on our local OC group today. If you do a Facebook search of, "when you see open carry call 911" you get a new page telling everyone that joins needs to call a cop if they see OC and tell the cops the person carrying is threatening people with a gun. We need to nip this attack in the bud. Cant seem to find out where this FB group originates and the local OC folks might be real concerned if this is in their backyard.

Ok it was there now not coming up. I'm sorry it could of been a troll but theres other places they came up in the search outside of FB
    Last edited by awnuts; 08-23-2013 at 11:16 PM.

May want to look again.

I typed in what you searched to google, and this -->http://www.democraticunderground.com/1172130667 was the first result.

Read the comments, it's only mildly infuriating.
    Last edited by Bigbossman90; 08-23-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Probably wouldn't hurt to alert LE that somebody is recommending a serious misdemeanor (false report to police).

On the other hand, I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you know cops in your area just itching for any excuse. Part of cops' game is affected by something called indicia of reliability. Indicia are signs or indicators, in this case, of reliability of the informant.

If a 911 caller makes the report anonymously, his reliability (credibility) for 4th Amendment purposes suffers.

See Florida vs JR for more (JR was a juvenile at the time of his arrest, so his name was converted into initials.)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    After now two trainings and loosing money twice to OC'ers here in Bellingham....good luck anti's.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned
    Someone who has facebook (I won't do it) should report it to them. Their TOS probably surely does not allow posts that advocate for breaking the law, which that posting does.

This is also why I warn carriers not to assume that the officer does not have RAS. The totality of the circumstances, which could include false 991 calls, might create RAS where you are convinced there is none.

Determine if you are free to go. If you are not, behave as though the stop is lawful. If it is unlawful, deal with that later, when that unlawfulness can be determined with certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Someone who has facebook (I won't do it) should report it to them. Their TOS probably surely does not allow posts that advocate for breaking the law, which that posting does.
    From the story, it seems FB does not care a whit about the possibility that it may be the vechicle for proposing illegal activity of this nature.

Which is but another reason why I refuse to have anything to do with FB.

This is also why I warn carriers not to assume that the officer does not have RAS. The totality of the circumstances, which could include false 991 calls, might create RAS where you are convinced there is none.

Determine if you are free to go. If you are not, behave as though the stop is lawful. If it is unlawful, deal with that later, when that unlawfulness can be determined with certainty.
    While it seems to be a prevalent desire to argue points of law on the street with the police officer, history and experience show us that doing so is a very dangerous proposition. The place to argue point of law is in the courtroom, where you rarely run the risk of additional injury and insult being inflicted in resolving a dispute over who is more powerful.

While it would be preferable not to have been the subject of a malicious and untruthful attack by some possibly anonymous source, it certainly is preferable to avoid irritating an individual who already believes they have reason to be afraid that you pose a threat to their safety and their ability to return home safely at the end of the day.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    From the story, it seems FB does not care a whit about the possibility that it may be the vechicle for proposing illegal activity of this nature.

Which is but another reason why I refuse to have anything to do with FB.

While it seems to be a prevalent desire to argue points of law on the street with the police officer, history and experience show us that doing so is a very dangerous proposition. The place to argue point of law is in the courtroom, where you rarely run the risk of additional injury and insult being inflicted in resolving a dispute over who is more powerful.

While it would be preferable not to have been the subject of a malicious and untruthful attack by some possibly anonymous source, it certainly is preferable to avoid irritating an individual who already believes they have reason to be afraid that you pose a threat to their safety and their ability to return home safely at the end of the day.

stay safe.
    As of last night I know of a couple of people that reported this to FB. The reply from FB was they deemed the page not harassing nor offensive so not in violation of TOS.

Banned

This needs attention

What does it matter that it is not harassing or offensive? The post encourages the breaking of the law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by awnuts View Post
    As of last night I know of a couple of people that reported this to FB. The reply from FB was they deemed the page not harassing nor offensive so not in violation of TOS.
    An individual with legal credulity and truth be told, the full weight and force of an organization such as SAF or OCDO, would need to write an official letter to their customer service department outlining why this is a very bad idea would be necessary to even get their attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Probably wouldn't hurt to alert LE that somebody is recommending a serious misdemeanor (false report to police).
    Might be a good link to pass on to officer.com, your local police department or sheriff's office, and the FBI. If I'm not mistaken, making false reports to law federal law enforcement is federal crime, and I'm fairly certain encouraging, enticing, or perhaps "inciting" others to do the same is similarly on their "no-no" list. In fact, I do recall a briefing along those lines.

As far as Facebook itself, they're not going to do anything.
    Last edited by since9; 09-01-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

My message to facebook

After reading the postings on facebook (on my daughters account) I sent a complaint to FB. In addition to pointing out to them that the posting was advocating illegal activity, I mentioned that my conversation with the family lawyer revealed that I would be able to sue FB for their complicity if I was ever approached by the police because of such a complaint and I was able to find out the person who called. I support LEO since my parents were deputies, but they both believe that false calls like those were a detriment to society.

Page was apparently www.facebook.com/opencarry911 but is now gone. Maybe they listened and shut it down?
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)
    If you CCW, consider the benefits of joining CCWSafe.com.

Thanks for the daily lol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Thanks for the daily lol.
    hmmm...is the forum clock correct?

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    hmmm...is the forum clock correct?
    yours isnt,,, but mine is...
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 11-03-2013 at 04:02 AM. Reason: now my clock is still right,,, but earlier...um, no it is wrong
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Well,,,

more time testing

does anybody really know what time it is??

you made your post at 1:sompin standard time in conneticut

I made my post at 1:sompin daylight time in washington
    then I made a edit at what should be standard time here
    but the forum hasnt updated the time yet
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 11-03-2013 at 04:21 AM. Reason: I made this post 1:20 PDT
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!