• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crazy: Texas Gun Law Makes Open Carry Of Rifles Legal But Not Pistols

Augustin

Crazy: Texas Gun Law Makes Open Carry Of Rifles Legal But Not Pistols

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/...-open-carry-of-rifles-legal-but-not-pistols/#

Written by: Tara Dodrill Guns & Ammo August 24, 2013 0

Protests over Texas’ quirky open carry law and an expansive new background check law in Illinois are the latest in a seemingly never-ending debate over Second Amendment rights in America.

.......in Texas, gun owners took to the streets with rifles strapped to their backs to peacefully protest their inability to openly carry handguns, even though the law allows them to carry semi-automatic long guns in public spaces.

The Arlington, Texas, gun owners walked along city streets with their rifles to demonstrate the absurd nature of open carry gun laws in the state. The Lone Star State is one of just seven states that do not allow the open carry of a pistol.

The open carry protest in Arlington mirrored similar displays in other towns across Texas. Come and Take it Houston, a pro-gun group, stated that one of its primary goals of the armed walks was to educate others about local gun laws. Terry Holcomb Sr., a Huntsville, Texas, pastor, recently filmed himself walking into multiple businesses and public venues with his AR-15 Bushmaster.

--Edited by Moderator to reflect Rule #11 - Fair Use Quote--

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Texas long gun OC

Please note that Forum Rule #14 was modified to allow posting /discussion of long gun carry in states like Texas where OC of handguns is not allowed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Would that include states that allow non-permit OC of rifles where they require permission slips to carry handguns?
The exception to the rule is only valid in states where OC of handguns is illegal -the question of with or w/o permit is not a consideration.

stealthyeliminator

And now with the needless injection of rule commentary, only 25% of this thread (prior this post) is on topic, greatly reducing it's survivability and usefulness. Is commenting that the post is not in violation of a particular rules not akin to the police making a point to make contact with an open carrier, just to tell them what they're doing is legal and which law they aren't violating? Most here might consider such conduct harassment.

Why don't you post in every new thread giving a run down on which rules the thread is not in violation of?

How about this. Reply to this post and let me know which rules I'm not in violation of. I'd like to see how many I've managed to abide by. If you don't mind, also go to my profile and check the rest of the posts I've made today. Surely I've followed some rules in those posts too, and I'd like you to reply to those posts and let the whole forum know that I followed the rules. Thanks.

Back on topic - Thanks for the link, I enjoyed reading the article. I'm glad to see this issue being talked about regularly. In my opinion it seems as though the publicity of this issue is rising, which I think is definitely good. I also like the stance/viewpoint that this particular article takes.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So a moderator comes along and tidies up your post to keep the forum from potential legal problems due to exceeding fair use, and then adds a reminder that the suject of the thread is in fact allowed as a special exception so that folks from Texas who might read it will know they can discuss open carry of long guns, and to keep certain wise-@ss posters from somewhere that is not Texas aware that the topic is allowed for discussion of Texas' strange situation in order to pre-empt an attack for not enforcing the rules, but not elsewhere that allows some form of OC.

And you seem to be all butt hurt.

Why?

I would enjoy reading of the mental anguish and embarassment that Texans feel when they realize that their state, in spite of the historical and literary record regarding OC, will permit them to go about armed only if they hide the fact. I would also enjoy reading of the various strageties they develop in an attempt to overcome that situation - if for no other reason than because it might offer me some ideas for responses for when some yahoo accuses me of being a cowboy wannabe because I OC that do not involve pointing out that the land of cowboys and big hats does not trust cowboys, with or without big hats, to carry openly so therefore I cannot be a cowboy wannabe.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And now with the needless injection of rule commentary........-- rant edited--

Back on topic - Thanks for the link, I enjoyed reading the article. I'm glad to see this issue being talked about regularly. In my opinion it seems as though the publicity of this issue is rising, which I think is definitely good. I also like the stance/viewpoint that this particular article takes.

Since I was already here correcting the FUQ and narrowing the related focus of the article, it was not an inappropriate time to preempt the "long guns aren't discussed here" thinking. There has been discussion and misunderstanding regarding rule #14. To that regard it is hardly "needless" and most certainly on-topic.

More to the point, there has been and will continue to be a strong presence by OCDO in assisting the people of Texas to reacquire their right to OC handguns as they go about their normal everyday lives.

()pen(arry

Is the title of this thread intended to convey and impart astonishment at the handgun laws in Texas? If so, it seems a bit silly to attempt to inform Texans on an open carry forum that they can't open carry; they're well aware. Yes, I realize that the title of this thread is the title of the article. This is not, however, a news aggregation site. If you're going to post an article, please post it in a thread with a title that conveys useful information, rather than merely duplicating the article title. Something similar to "Email Newsletter Article About Texas And Illinois Gun Laws" would take just about zero effort and would convey 1) what the article is about, 2) where the article is from, and 3) a sense of whether anyone should bother clicking on the thread. I'm not in the habit of throwing magazines at other people without fanfare or commentary, and members of this forum shouldn't be in the habit of analogous behavior.

Here's a simple rule/guideline/standard for this forum: if you're going to post a link to an article, give a functionally useful summary of the article with the link, and don't merely copy the article title for the post thread. John? Grapeshot? Howzaboutit? Even Fark does better in this regard than this thread does.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is the title of this thread intended to convey and impart astonishment at the handgun laws in Texas? If so, it seems a bit silly to attempt to inform Texans on an open carry forum that they can't open carry; they're well aware. Yes, I realize that the title of this thread is the title of the article. This is not, however, a news aggregation site. If you're going to post an article, please post it in a thread with a title that conveys useful information, rather than merely duplicating the article title. Something similar to "Email Newsletter Article About Texas And Illinois Gun Laws" would take just about zero effort and would convey 1) what the article is about, 2) where the article is from, and 3) a sense of whether anyone should bother clicking on the thread. I'm not in the habit of throwing magazines at other people without fanfare or commentary, and members of this forum shouldn't be in the habit of analogous behavior.

Here's a simple rule/guideline/standard for this forum: if you're going to post a link to an article, give a functionally useful summary of the article with the link, and don't merely copy the article title for the post thread. John? Grapeshot? Howzaboutit? Even Fark does better in this regard than this thread does.

Texans, particularly highly informed Texans, are not the only ones reading this sub-forum - there is no exclusivity, no for Texas members only. That and something may be old hat to you and fresh for a newbie

Mike and John both have used article titles as thread titles. Fair use quotes are frequently utilized to give the highlights and/or to entice the reader to click the link.

Though your suggestions on "rule/guideline/standard" are good ideas, I don't expect such to be endorsed as mandatory. OCDO is not limited to proof readers and style experts.

mark-in-texas

Actually, we have tried to get OC here in Texas at least twice. The problem is that our Legislature only meets every other year and for only a short period. So if some other matter takes too much time (abortion in this most recent session) anything else has to wait two years to be brought up again.

()pen(arry

Actually, we have tried to get OC here in Texas at least twice. The problem is that our Legislature only meets every other year and for only a short period. So if some other matter takes too much time (abortion in this most recent session) anything else has to wait two years to be brought up again.

Not sure at what the "actually" was targeted, but I lived in Texas for 18 years until two months ago and spent a lot of time on the phone to state legislators. A pox on the house of anyone involved in Joe Straus being Speaker.

HPmatt

Everyone in Texas open carries shotguns and rifles because we're going to be hunting doves and deer and ducks on the weekends. If you're retired or have a flexible job, you're going during the week. We just haven't used pistols to shoot varmits unless you live on a ranch and OC on your own property. Since democrats have only gone liberal in the 60s and 70s, we all changed to conservative republicans. And until liberal federal judges (1) scrapped chain gangs and prisons making their own clothing and food, and (2) not stopped the Mexicans, Guatemalans, Costa Ricans, Iranians and who knows who else coming over the border, we haven't had to OC pistols in 80 years. Well now we've got CHL and soon we'll get OC. The Texas Dept of Public Safety said that in the last 12 months they've issued 200,000 CHL permits....

Augustin

Edited by Moderator to reflect Rule #11 - Fair Use Quote--

Okay. I missed that fine detail in the forum rules.

Apparently I've violated this rule many times when posting an article (yet this is the first time I've been edited for this egregious transgression).

I've always posted the original title, author, source, date, and link to original article, along with the entire text of the article. I felt it was IMPORTANT to post the full text of the article in case the link goes dead in the future.

And also, BTW, it was my opinion that the article was more about the illegality of OC in Texas that the legality of long gun OC, so the exception to rule 14 was not an issue.

AUGustin

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Okay. I missed that fine detail in the forum rules.

Apparently I've violated this rule many times when posting an article (yet this is the first time I've been edited for this egregious transgression).

I've always posted the original title, author, source, date, and link to original article, along with the entire text of the article. I felt it was IMPORTANT to post the full text of the article in case the link goes dead in the future.

And also, BTW, it was my opinion that the article was more about the illegality of OC in Texas that the legality of long gun OC, so the exception to rule 14 was not an issue.

AUGustin
Obviously we cannot review every post made on this forum - we ask that users be self-moderating also. Violations should be reported to the administration. It shouldn't be necessary to point out an infraction but one time...at least to responsible posters.

The problem with using the full article is one of ethics and potential liability. For those that don't think this can be serious, Google Righthaven and read the war stories. A great deal of time and thousand of dollars was expended over this very issue.

When this rule was introduced by John it was to curtail potential liability. Hopefully users will understand this, making other action unnecessary.

Sometimes it is better to give a short synopsis in your own words or in accompaniment to a FUQ to explain one's POV regarding the linked material.

Everyone's cooperation is appreciated.

KBCraig

The crazy thing about Texas isn't long guns. It's that carrying a handgun is banned, period...and then the law goes on to list several exceptions to the ban.

Only two of the exceptions require concealment (in a motor vehicle, or on your person with a CHL). The others are either too narrow (sporting activity) or vague (travelling) to be of much use.

On property you own or control is pretty wide open, and before a house fire forced me into temporary apartment living, I frequently OC'd a handgun whenever outside in my own yard -- just because I could.

rushcreek2

Of course, that makes the fix pretty easy...

The 5th Circuit or the SCOTUS should find that unrestricted long gun carry in Texas does nothing to negate the RIGHT to also carry a handgun.

This is essentially the core principle that the SCOTUS has already laid out in Heller/McDonald- allowing only for the prohibition by states of CONCEALED carry. I was thinking of that 2012 Lubbock NRA case over the age 21 requirement to get a CHL.

Last edited:

jordanmills

The 5th Circuit or the SCOTUS should find that unrestricted long gun carry in Texas does nothing to negate the RIGHT to also carry a handgun.

This is essentially the core principle that the SCOTUS has already laid out in Heller/McDonald- allowing only for the prohibition by states of CONCEALED carry. I was thinking off of that 2012 Lubbock NRA case over the age 21 requirement to get a CHL.

It doesn't. It's the line in 46.02 that infringes on that right.