Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointment at MidwayUSA, Columbia, Mo.

Disappointment at MidwayUSA, Columbia, Mo.

Went to MidwayUSA today to pickup a order. At the front door was sign that said:

"Do to insurance coverage please ensure your concealed weapon is concealed and please leave your open carry weapon in your vehicle"

I was very disappointed that a business that is supported my sportsman and gun enthusiasts around the country would not allow open carry into a merchandise pickup area. Anyone else have any thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by logunowner View Post
    Went to MidwayUSA today to pickup a order. At the front door was sign that said:

"Do to insurance coverage please ensure your concealed weapon is concealed and please leave your open carry weapon in your vehicle"

I was very disappointed that a business that is supported my sportsman and gun enthusiasts around the country would not allow open carry into a merchandise pickup area. Anyone else have any thoughts.
    On the bright side, it's apparently insurance making them do it that way, not some crazy psycho owner or something. Though there's really no way to confirm that their insurance company did actually tell them that.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

How much sense does it make that starbucks and walmart have no restriction on open carry, and yet some gun shops won't allow it.....

Founder's Club Member
    Well, unfortunately, my credit cards feel a strong loyalty towards my gun. They won't go anywhere the gun isn't allowed to go.
    Last edited by Citizen; 08-24-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

They need to consider their client base.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    On the bright side, it's apparently insurance making them do it that way, not some crazy psycho owner or something. Though there's really no way to confirm that their insurance company did actually tell them that.
    Have never seen any reliable information that an insurance company would specifically limit or deny coverage because of OC.

Sure there is a way to confirm it - ask to see the insurance policy. Bet you get a whole lot of stuttering in response.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I will be drafting an email seeking for further explanation. And I agree it is going to be hard for my checkbook to do business there.. They have giving over a million dollars from rounding up tickets to the next dollar over the years to NRA.

Disappointment at MidwayUSA, Columbia, Mo.

Tell them it is ok you do not associate with their insurance company.

Banned
    Sounds like its a request, not a demand ...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Have never seen any reliable information that an insurance company would specifically limit or deny coverage because of OC.

Sure there is a way to confirm it - ask to see the insurance policy. Bet you get a whole lot of stuttering in response.
    You ever heard of a business owner showing some random customer his insurance policy? I haven't, and I'd bet they wouldn't show it even if it were completely true.

Now it might be possible to find out the insurance companies name, and call them asking about it. Play dumb on the phone and sometimes they'll tell you stuff without thinking about it.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Accomplished Advocate
    This actually makes me wonder.

While I am not stating that they do or do not have such a policy, if you think about it from a slightly different angle it might be plausible and more of an interpretation of the policies.

Since Midway is indeed a firearms parts distributor but NOT a firearms sales company, it might be that they have a "no firearms sales or displayed" thing in the policy as having firearms on display or for sale would indeed be an additional rider on the insurance.

As far as the show me the policy goes, LMGDAO you could walk into a room of a thousand peeps and ask who all had read their insurance policies and count on one hand the number who had. VERY VERY few folks have ever read the most common policy they use, the heath insurance one and it usually takes a big fuss to even get a copy as the books and such the company gives out are an overview, not the policy which is usually several hundred pages long and in microprint!

Still quite disappointing to hear, want a tidbit from across the street? Midway truck stop, the one on tv, the one that has gun shows has gun buster signs on their doors too.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Sounds sort of like my church's insurance; it stipulates that no one under 25 years of age is allowed to carry a lethal weapon.
    I would have a 200x15 userbar here, but images are sadly not allowed in signatures.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
    Sounds sort of like my church's insurance; it stipulates that no one under 25 years of age is allowed to carry a lethal weapon.
    Are mothers-in-law exempt?

(ie guy carrying his mother-in-law)
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 08-25-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

You ever heard of a business owner showing some random customer his insurance policy? I haven't, and I'd bet they wouldn't show it even if it were completely true.

Now it might be possible to find out the insurance companies name, and call them asking about it. Play dumb on the phone and sometimes they'll tell you stuff without thinking about it.
    Don't beleive I said "random customer" - better someone known to them expressing an interest in such a policy - what I did say was "reliable information". Yes, the name of the company and/or agent would be a beginning.

When a number of us attended a Va. Republican State Convention OCing, we were told that they (Republican Party) had to pay an additional premium to allow that. Though we asked to see the rider, endorsement, stipulation that created that, such was never in fact displayed. Point of fact, they would have had to ask for and receive the endorsement bertween 5:00 PM one evening and 9:00 AM the next morning - I think that is extremenly unlikely and see the whole thing as just so much security theater.

The contacts in the party were senior people who knew us by name and by facial recognition AND they knew ahead of time that we would be there carrying. Their statement that "we" had caused them some additional expense, but that they did it in the name of neutrality, they had no official opinion.

BTW - a couple of us were Sargents at Arms for the Convention
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-25-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I consider it a slap in the face that I am not welcome to open carry in a business that depends on money from people like myself. Most if not all of the products they sell are related to guns.....Even if it took an additional "rider to their insurance" I think it would be well worth the expense. I will be writing to them to see what they say, I will post their response it I get one.

The following is a copy of the email I sent to Larry Potterfield, CEO of MidwayUSA.

Sir,

Saturday I visited your business to pick-up an order I had placed. As I approached the door I saw a very disturbing sign indicating open carrying of my weapon was not allowed due to insurance coverage. As your business depends on people such as myself I found myself dumbfounded. Since I had made a commitment to purchase my item from you I covered my weapon and completed the transaction.

You collect "rounded up dollars" from a lot of us that you give to the NRA, the very organization that I am a life member to help protect myself from businesses such as yours that show no respect for my Second Amendment rights. You don't owe me an explanation just as I don't owe you my business, but I have posted my experience on several pro-gun forums and told them I would post your response if I receive one.
    Last edited by logunowner; 08-25-2013 at 01:34 PM.

I have never seen it in any policy....I've read many commercial polices from different carriers. It is an excuse, not a restriction of a policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
    No offense, but I doubt it. Most policies limit what the insured can/can't do; not what others are/aren't doing. An insurance policy is about the insured, not anyone else.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

How would a insurer know that the insured violated the "policy?" Sounds like BS to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    No offense, but I doubt it. Most policies limit what the insured can/can't do; not what others are/aren't doing. An insurance policy is about the insured, not anyone else.
    I asked to see the insurance agreement for myself and was handed a huge book...which I dutifully looked through and found nothing on the topic. And the church insurance covers anyone on the premises. My mom fell and broke her arm there one time, and the church insurance paid for her hospital bills.
    I would have a 200x15 userbar here, but images are sadly not allowed in signatures.

Yes, they have the sign.

Yes, I OC in there to get my orders. No problems ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus_Hagen View Post
    Yes, they have the sign.

Yes, I OC in there to get my orders. No problems ever.
    Not something I want to do. As a responsible Open Carry person I will always respect the wishes of private business owners. It is my believe that as more and more of us open carry and we show the respect afforded by a NO Carry sign on a private business the more we will be respected in our right to carry.

As for my email to the owner of MidwayUSA, I have not received a response.

Quote Originally Posted by logunowner View Post
    Not something I want to do.
    Understood and I respect that.

I will continue to conduct my business with them as usual.

Go about my everyday routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus_Hagen View Post
    Understood and I respect that.

I will continue to conduct my business with them as usual.

Go about my everyday routine.
    I respect you for finding a convenient place to supply you with the things you need to enjoy your interests. I will not be so easily deterred from my values of Constitutional right to open carry a weapon. Not sure I can so easily walk in a place that has two standards...one for making money and one that says their are all about gun rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    I have never seen it in any policy....I've read many commercial polices from different carriers. It is an excuse, not a restriction of a policy.

Redbaron007 is right. I asked them about it. The sign is directed at their own employees, not customers. Here is the response that I got earlier today:

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry for the confusion. Technically we don't have a store, we are an internet driven warehouse business. Customers coming into MidwayUSA may open or conceal carry when picking up their packages. We do ask that the handguns remain in their holsters and rifle and shotguns be left in the vehicle or case as we do not allow gunsmithing or parts fitting in the pick up area.

As far as employees, open carry is not allowed due to the work that is involved and the hazards of working near a high speed conveyor, but conceal carry is still very much encouraged.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Thanks for Your Business!

Daren
    MidwayUSA Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoreBoy View Post
    Redbaron007 is right. I asked them about it. The sign is directed at their own employees, not customers. Here is the response that I got earlier today:

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry for the confusion. Technically we don't have a store, we are an internet driven warehouse business. Customers coming into MidwayUSA may open or conceal carry when picking up their packages. We do ask that the handguns remain in their holsters and rifle and shotguns be left in the vehicle or case as we do not allow gunsmithing or parts fitting in the pick up area.

As far as employees, open carry is not allowed due to the work that is involved and the hazards of working near a high speed conveyor, but conceal carry is still very much encouraged.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Thanks for Your Business!

Daren
    MidwayUSA Customer Service
    But, But....they are against us gun owners and are posted !!!! OMG !!! What do we do now ??????

[QUOTE=Festus_Hagen;1977820]But, But....they are against us gun owners and are posted !!!! OMG !!! What do we do now ??????

I take my right to carry seriously, I would hope everyone would.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast