• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disappointment at MidwayUSA, Columbia, Mo.

logunowner

Went to MidwayUSA today to pickup a order. At the front door was sign that said:

"Do to insurance coverage please ensure your concealed weapon is concealed and please leave your open carry weapon in your vehicle"

I was very disappointed that a business that is supported my sportsman and gun enthusiasts around the country would not allow open carry into a merchandise pickup area. Anyone else have any thoughts.

Oramac

Went to MidwayUSA today to pickup a order. At the front door was sign that said:

"Do to insurance coverage please ensure your concealed weapon is concealed and please leave your open carry weapon in your vehicle"

I was very disappointed that a business that is supported my sportsman and gun enthusiasts around the country would not allow open carry into a merchandise pickup area. Anyone else have any thoughts.

On the bright side, it's apparently insurance making them do it that way, not some crazy psycho owner or something. Though there's really no way to confirm that their insurance company did actually tell them that.

DenverGP

How much sense does it make that starbucks and walmart have no restriction on open carry, and yet some gun shops won't allow it.....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Well, unfortunately, my credit cards feel a strong loyalty towards my gun. They won't go anywhere the gun isn't allowed to go.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
On the bright side, it's apparently insurance making them do it that way, not some crazy psycho owner or something. Though there's really no way to confirm that their insurance company did actually tell them that.
Have never seen any reliable information that an insurance company would specifically limit or deny coverage because of OC.

Sure there is a way to confirm it - ask to see the insurance policy. Bet you get a whole lot of stuttering in response.

logunowner

I will be drafting an email seeking for further explanation. And I agree it is going to be hard for my checkbook to do business there.. They have giving over a million dollars from rounding up tickets to the next dollar over the years to NRA.

lockman

State Researcher

Tell them it is ok you do not associate with their insurance company.

Oramac

Have never seen any reliable information that an insurance company would specifically limit or deny coverage because of OC.

Sure there is a way to confirm it - ask to see the insurance policy. Bet you get a whole lot of stuttering in response.

You ever heard of a business owner showing some random customer his insurance policy? I haven't, and I'd bet they wouldn't show it even if it were completely true.

Now it might be possible to find out the insurance companies name, and call them asking about it. Play dumb on the phone and sometimes they'll tell you stuff without thinking about it.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
This actually makes me wonder.

While I am not stating that they do or do not have such a policy, if you think about it from a slightly different angle it might be plausible and more of an interpretation of the policies.

Since Midway is indeed a firearms parts distributor but NOT a firearms sales company, it might be that they have a "no firearms sales or displayed" thing in the policy as having firearms on display or for sale would indeed be an additional rider on the insurance.

As far as the show me the policy goes, LMGDAO you could walk into a room of a thousand peeps and ask who all had read their insurance policies and count on one hand the number who had. VERY VERY few folks have ever read the most common policy they use, the heath insurance one and it usually takes a big fuss to even get a copy as the books and such the company gives out are an overview, not the policy which is usually several hundred pages long and in microprint!

Still quite disappointing to hear, want a tidbit from across the street? Midway truck stop, the one on tv, the one that has gun shows has gun buster signs on their doors too.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

You ever heard of a business owner showing some random customer his insurance policy? I haven't, and I'd bet they wouldn't show it even if it were completely true.

Now it might be possible to find out the insurance companies name, and call them asking about it. Play dumb on the phone and sometimes they'll tell you stuff without thinking about it.
Don't beleive I said "random customer" - better someone known to them expressing an interest in such a policy - what I did say was "reliable information". Yes, the name of the company and/or agent would be a beginning.

When a number of us attended a Va. Republican State Convention OCing, we were told that they (Republican Party) had to pay an additional premium to allow that. Though we asked to see the rider, endorsement, stipulation that created that, such was never in fact displayed. Point of fact, they would have had to ask for and receive the endorsement bertween 5:00 PM one evening and 9:00 AM the next morning - I think that is extremenly unlikely and see the whole thing as just so much security theater.

The contacts in the party were senior people who knew us by name and by facial recognition AND they knew ahead of time that we would be there carrying. Their statement that "we" had caused them some additional expense, but that they did it in the name of neutrality, they had no official opinion.

BTW - a couple of us were Sargents at Arms for the Convention :cool:

Last edited:

logunowner

I consider it a slap in the face that I am not welcome to open carry in a business that depends on money from people like myself. Most if not all of the products they sell are related to guns.....Even if it took an additional "rider to their insurance" I think it would be well worth the expense. I will be writing to them to see what they say, I will post their response it I get one.

The following is a copy of the email I sent to Larry Potterfield, CEO of MidwayUSA.

Sir,

Saturday I visited your business to pick-up an order I had placed. As I approached the door I saw a very disturbing sign indicating open carrying of my weapon was not allowed due to insurance coverage. As your business depends on people such as myself I found myself dumbfounded. Since I had made a commitment to purchase my item from you I covered my weapon and completed the transaction.

You collect "rounded up dollars" from a lot of us that you give to the NRA, the very organization that I am a life member to help protect myself from businesses such as yours that show no respect for my Second Amendment rights. You don't owe me an explanation just as I don't owe you my business, but I have posted my experience on several pro-gun forums and told them I would post your response if I receive one.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

I have never seen it in any policy....I've read many commercial polices from different carriers. It is an excuse, not a restriction of a policy.

Sounds sort of like my church's insurance; it stipulates that no one under 25 years of age is allowed to carry a lethal weapon.

No offense, but I doubt it. Most policies limit what the insured can/can't do; not what others are/aren't doing. An insurance policy is about the insured, not anyone else.

Boba Fett

No offense, but I doubt it. Most policies limit what the insured can/can't do; not what others are/aren't doing. An insurance policy is about the insured, not anyone else.

I asked to see the insurance agreement for myself and was handed a huge book...which I dutifully looked through and found nothing on the topic. And the church insurance covers anyone on the premises. My mom fell and broke her arm there one time, and the church insurance paid for her hospital bills.

logunowner

Yes, they have the sign.

Yes, I OC in there to get my orders. No problems ever.

Not something I want to do. As a responsible Open Carry person I will always respect the wishes of private business owners. It is my believe that as more and more of us open carry and we show the respect afforded by a NO Carry sign on a private business the more we will be respected in our right to carry.

As for my email to the owner of MidwayUSA, I have not received a response.