• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disappointment at MidwayUSA, Columbia, Mo.

logunowner

Understood and I respect that.

I will continue to conduct my business with them as usual.

Go about my everyday routine.

I respect you for finding a convenient place to supply you with the things you need to enjoy your interests. I will not be so easily deterred from my values of Constitutional right to open carry a weapon. Not sure I can so easily walk in a place that has two standards...one for making money and one that says their are all about gun rights.

BigBoreBoy

I have never seen it in any policy....I've read many commercial polices from different carriers. It is an excuse, not a restriction of a policy.

No offense, but I doubt it. Most policies limit what the insured can/can't do; not what others are/aren't doing. An insurance policy is about the insured, not anyone else.

Redbaron007 is right. I asked them about it. The sign is directed at their own employees, not customers. Here is the response that I got earlier today:

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry for the confusion. Technically we don't have a store, we are an internet driven warehouse business. Customers coming into MidwayUSA may open or conceal carry when picking up their packages. We do ask that the handguns remain in their holsters and rifle and shotguns be left in the vehicle or case as we do not allow gunsmithing or parts fitting in the pick up area.

As far as employees, open carry is not allowed due to the work that is involved and the hazards of working near a high speed conveyor, but conceal carry is still very much encouraged.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Thanks for Your Business!

Daren
MidwayUSA Customer Service

Festus_Hagen

Redbaron007 is right. I asked them about it. The sign is directed at their own employees, not customers. Here is the response that I got earlier today:

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry for the confusion. Technically we don't have a store, we are an internet driven warehouse business. Customers coming into MidwayUSA may open or conceal carry when picking up their packages. We do ask that the handguns remain in their holsters and rifle and shotguns be left in the vehicle or case as we do not allow gunsmithing or parts fitting in the pick up area.

As far as employees, open carry is not allowed due to the work that is involved and the hazards of working near a high speed conveyor, but conceal carry is still very much encouraged.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Daren
But, But....they are against us gun owners and are posted !!!! OMG !!! What do we do now ?????? :eek:

:lol:

logunowner

Daren

Thank-you for posting.....

Redbaron007

I asked to see the insurance agreement for myself and was handed a huge book...which I dutifully looked through and found nothing on the topic. And the church insurance covers anyone on the premises. My mom fell and broke her arm there one time, and the church insurance paid for her hospital bills.

In addressing your mother's incident; two things are possible. First, if the church was negligent in the accident, their general liability probably provided coverage for her injuries. Second, many policies have a Medical Payments Coverage for just that, accidents that occur on the property. There are some exclusions, but liability is not an issue under this coverage, in most instances. My guess is her expenses were covered under this portion of the church policy.

Good to hear she didn't have those bills to worry about.

As for the carrying, I was pretty sure there wasn't an exemption for your church.....someone was just trying to pass the buck on to something else and didn't want to take responsibility for their decision.

JustaShooter

Daren

In that case, the noice shouldn't be posted on the front door because a reasonable person would believe that the sign applied to anyone entering. Put it beside the timeclock, in the employee handbook, give every employee a copy and make them sign it, whatever, but if you allow the public to enter the building then signs at the entrance apply to them as well as employees.

Redbaron007

I'm glad Midway clarified their position. I would have been disappointed if that was their stance. :(

logunowner

In that case, the noice shouldn't be posted on the front door because a reasonable person would believe that the sign applied to anyone entering. Put it beside the timeclock, in the employee handbook, give every employee a copy and make them sign it, whatever, but if you allow the public to enter the building then signs at the entrance apply to them as well as employees.

Agree 100%

logunowner

Reply from MidwayUSA to my email.

The following is an email I received from MidwestUSA. As you will read this individual did not like the tone of my email and I will apologize for that. However, I still do not see a statement saying open carrying in their store is welcome and encouraged.

Larry has reviewed your email and asked me to respond on his behalf. While he reads every email, due to the volume he can't respond to each one personally so I help him answer his correspondence. I am glad you wrote for clarification on this. Concealed firearms are fine; even encouraged by management since Larry and Brenda were very instrumental in getting this legislation passed. (In fact, he paid to get myself and several others certified with the state so we could provide concealed carry permit classes for our employees free of charge) When we first opened the pickup service, dozens of customers stopped by with firearms under the mistaken impression that we perform gunsmithing here. On two separate occasions customers have arrived with firearms and the guns were loaded at the time. Obviously, these occasions were the result of careless owners, but bringing a loaded shotgun or rifle into an area full of customers and employees is a situation that is easily avoided. We don't work on firearms, so there is no reason to bring a long gun into the building. Concealed handguns in holsters are fine, as the sign indicated. I am glad you wrote in so I could clarify this, because I want to make sure that everyone knows just how far the Potterfield family goes to promote hunting, shooting and our Second Amendment Rights. But don't take my word for it...look for yourself: https://www.google.com/#fp=755225ca21ab0685&q=Larry+potterfield+donates To say nothing of the Foundation he set up to promote shooting sports for the next generation of shooters. http://www.midwayusafoundation.org Sorry if the tone of this email is a little combative...I have worked for the Potterfield's for almost twenty years, and when somebody says they are not doing their part to promote our rights and preserve our sporting traditions, it tends to get my ire up a little!

On Behalf of Larry, Thanks For Your Business,

Eric Ellingson
Contact Center Supervisor
MidwayUSA
NRA Endowment Member

logunowner

More Info on Open Carry at MidwayUSA

I have been in email exchange with Eric from MidwayUSA. In his first email he said that he didn't know if they had an open carry policy. In his next email he said open carry in a holster would be fine. He wanted to know somethings about my experiences while opening carrying and I told him that almost 100% of my experiences have been positive. He said he might just give it a try. I suggested they put up a new sign with something like ""Please wear your holstered open or concealed weapon with pride". He said he would follow though with the idea, so maybe we will get a new sign. Good experience with MidwayUSA. I will continue to give them my business.

BigBoreBoy

I have been in email exchange with Eric from MidwayUSA. In his first email he said that he didn't know if they had an open carry policy. In his next email he said open carry in a holster would be fine. He wanted to know somethings about my experiences while opening carrying and I told him that almost 100% of my experiences have been positive. He said he might just give it a try. I suggested they put up a new sign with something like ""Please wear your holstered open or concealed weapon with pride". He said he would follow though with the idea, so maybe we will get a new sign. Good experience with MidwayUSA. I will continue to give them my business.

Nice job and a good example of a misunderstanding turning into a positive interaction for our cause.

attrapereves

I, too, thought the sign was for customers. It didn't bother me because technically its not a store/business that's open to the public. Anytime you own a business that's open to the public, insurance goes up significantly. That being said, I highly doubt their insurance company cares. The sign is probably just there to prevent idiots from bringing loaded guns in the pickup room and trying to work on them (I've seen it happen).