• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applying to a local police department...

hunter45

I have applied to many law enforcement agencies and filled out lots of background investigation packets; however, today while filling out a background packet for a local PD, I ran into something that I have not seen before. There is a section in the packet where it asks for the make, model, caliber, serial number, and purpose of every firearm that I own. I really don't feel comfortable with putting that information down. What do y'all think I should do? Does that seem weird? I thought about "selling" all my guns to a family member and then buying them back after I go through the background, that way I don't have to list any of them.

JustaShooter

There is a section in the packet where it asks for the make, model, caliber, serial number, and purpose of every firearm that I own.

Yeah, I don't think so. I don't see how that could possibly be relevant. With something like this during the application process, I'd bet they also have a policy that you have to list any new firearm acquisitions after you get hired. Unless this is your only choice for employment, I'd pass. But then, I'm not now, nor have I ever been, nor do I ever plan on becoming, a LEO of any kind.

Good luck in your chosen profession and in your job hunt!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have applied to many law enforcement agencies and filled out lots of background investigation packets; however, today while filling out a background packet for a local PD, I ran into something that I have not seen before. There is a section in the packet where it asks for the make, model, caliber, serial number, and purpose of every firearm that I own. I really don't feel comfortable with putting that information down. What do y'all think I should do? Does that seem weird? I thought about "selling" all my guns to a family member and then buying them back after I go through the background, that way I don't have to list any of them.

It's not unheard of. I was supposed to do it when I got my CWP (In those days it was a CWP). I found a way around it but to be honest, I'd pass on a Department that wants to probe that far into your personal life?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
IIRC the CWP required you to list all the firearms so they would be covered by/under the CWP.

But for a PD to want to know what you own, down to individual make, model and serial number? Unless they are looking for candidates that can improve the departmental aresenal I cannot see why they would want/need that info. My most paranoid guesses are
1) to check if you posses any items reported stolen - but they why not ask for the same with motor vehicles, computers, cameras, and the like?
2) to (illegally) cross-reference your disclosure against any registry they have or against 4473s at local gun shops
3) to see if there is any way of getting around issuing you a duty weapon by suggesting you would be happier using your own

I can see more appropriateness in making you submit to hair analysis for drug use/nicotine, or even (just barely) a DNA analysis to cross against unsolved crime evidence (although that would require the State Lab to actually analyze about a million frozen samples) or a genome analysis to see if you are prone to heart attack or fallen arches.

Finally, I'd seriously consider consulting with an attorney regarding the possibility of their pulling an end-around on your 5th Amendment right not to be coerced into incriminating yourself. Am I smelling that old "if you have nothing to hide what are you afraid of" BS? Especially when coupled with the fact that other PDs do not ask for that data.

stay safe.

Sir Diealotz

Not jus no but HELL NO! If you had to, list your great grandfathers .22 bolt action rifle that has been passed down from generation to generation :lol: