Thread: Puyallup PD in Hot Water

Puyallup PD in Hot Water

The Puyallup Police Department is facing accusations that its jailers forced DUI suspects to needlessly undress and recorded the nudity on the jail’s in-house surveillance system.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52819615/n.../#.Uhtw-3fO77N
    Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Oops!
    Yamamoto said Egan's claims are "not true at all." He said Egan has “selectively chosen videos” and “cherrypicked” the ones he believes prove his case. Yamamoto said cameras in common areas and cells are a common fixture in jails.
    If it's not true, then why are there videos "cherrypicked" to prove his point? The violations of the 4A don't need to be consistently done.

I guess there's a new meaning to the phrase "Do the Puyallup."

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    If it's not true, then why are there videos "cherrypicked" to prove his point? The violations of the 4A don't need to be consistently done.

I guess there's a new meaning to the phrase "Do the Puyallup."
    If they were going to be booked, it's ok to have them strip down and change into jail attire. Another occasion where a strip search is justified is if the arrest is drug related (DUI by means of drugs etc.).

That will be the key. I would assume, to be kosher, no cite and release parties would have been told to strip down. I can't speak for PPD, but in my agency, about 90%+ of DUI suspects are CITED and released, not booked, so there would be no reason to have them strip down. When they investigate imo that will be key - were the persons who were forced to strip down about to be booked (even if the booking decision was changed later)?

and was there a gender disparity? Were females MORE LIKELY to get booked/stripped, if substantiialy disparate to male rate of strip/booking, that would be a red flag too

Yeah, there's already a thread on here about that... Look down the thread list just a little.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Puyallup PD in Hot Water

I sorry but if it were appropriate to do so then we would see a lot more boobies on cops and DUI arrests they take them behind a curtain and a female officer makes sure they have nothing. No video surveillance

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-