• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy OC'ing an AR gets arrested in Sparks, NV

jfrey123

Surprised to see this hadn't been shared here yet. Found via the Nevada Open Carry FB page. Police show up, order him down at gun point. They disarm him (heard in the video but not seen). Other officers ask for his ID, he says he doesn't have it. They ask his name, he asks them why he needs to provide it and repeatedly asks why he's been stopped. Another office comes up with the bs answer that they have to figure out if he's old enough to possess the weapon, and if he doesn't comply he'll be arrested. He asks again and the officer moves to cuff him. Video shuts off after that.

Hope to get more info from the OP. Couldn't find any inmate information at the Washoe County Jail that matches the YouTube name, I'm presuming the YouTube poster is the person in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cWdf32OPIwo

battleborn

I am interested to see where this stop leads. Seems like a flagrant abuse of power and violates the recent ruling regarding open carry and PC.

Nevada carrier

Holy ****!

My guess is it hasn't gotten much coverage here because it's recent and long gun open carry is not an issue OCDO wants to get involved in... Either way, the SPD just lost a ton of $...

stealthyeliminator

Too many officers read "probable cause" as "possible cause"

You could be breaking the law, so I'm going to stop you and try to find some way that you are. If I can't, then I'll let you go. <- Typical police encounter.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Unfortunately, the law may be on the cops' side ... determining age is subjective ...

w/o a pic of the guy arrested its impossible to say if they clearly crossed a line...

Another reason NOT to support age restrictions on gun ownership or possession

Last edited:

b0neZ

General agreement that the officers actions were not as they should have been notwithstanding, I found something odd about the video; its categorization.

Published on Aug 24, 2013

Sparks Police man pulls his gun on a open Carry gun activist on 8/23/13

Category Comedy
License Standard YouTube License

:confused:

Mattimusmaximus

I actually watched this yesterday at work and found this to be ridiculous! To come up on the guy with guns drawn! Totally unacceptable. I would take this to court just for the endangering my life.. I know it's a long gun but come on.

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

DocWalker

In a just world these officers would be fired.

In reality nothing will happen to the cops and the citizens will be paying cash for these cops god complex.

The citizens are blissfully ignorant to the cycle and just keep opening their wallets.

jfrey123

Unfortunately, the law may be on the cops' side ... determining age is subjective ...

I view it the same as a cop stopping a car for the purpose of determining if the driver is properly licensed. That action is typically constitutes an illegal T-stop. It would be identical if they stopped my car and demanded I identify my age because there's a minimum age for driving.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I view it the same as a cop stopping a car for the purpose of determining if the driver is properly licensed. That action is typically constitutes an illegal T-stop. It would be identical if they stopped my car and demanded I identify my age because there's a minimum age for driving.

I agree. I've been stopped a few times when open carrying a handgun and "finding out my age," "finding out if I am a felon," and "checking my serial number to see if my gun is stolen" have been cited as a reasons for stops in the past. Nobody has stopped me in years though, I guess because I look a little older now. I think they should be required to have some actual suspicion of a violation before stopping someone.

Speaking of traffic stops, didn't they recently hold a "proof of insurance checkpoint" in Sparks or Reno a year or two ago? Seems to me those and DUI checkpoints should be unlawful for the same reasons.

Mattimusmaximus said:
I actually watched this yesterday at work and found this to be ridiculous! To come up on the guy with guns drawn! Totally unacceptable. I would take this to court just for the endangering my life.. I know it's a long gun but come on.

I've had Washoe County Sheriffs deputies draw pistols and point rifles at me in the past for open carrying a holstered pistol. They never arrested me but I always identified myself. I didn't have any video though, and I didn't seek any redress. In the past I was more worried about college than trying to correct the police.

I hope whoever was stopped in the video gets his charges dropped (refusing to ID?) and then sues and sets a precedent to stop such stops.

It seems kind of funny to me that the cop in the video has a problem with the guy carrying a slung AR-15 on his back, yet cops these days walk around with similar rifles in their hands.

Last edited:

Yard Sale

"Hiibel" Obstructing arrest for not identifying himself. Officer will testify the suspect looked under 18, too young to possess a firearm. Judge Spoo or McCarthy will rule that's good reason to seize him. Wendy or Rosie will play this video to the judge; there will be no jury. Guilty as charged. Appeal to district court, cite Terry, Brady, etc. Not applicable in the Second Judicial District Court of Nevada. Appeal to Nevada supreme court not possible from a case originating from municipal court. Pay the fine, do the time, welcome to Sparks.

davidmcbeth

Banned

So a cop cannot stop an 8 yr old driving as long as he commits not traffic infractions?

Oh, I think that the stop was BS, no doubt, but all a cop has to testi-lie to is "he looked 16".

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
So a cop cannot stop an 8 yr old driving as long as he commits not traffic infractions?

Oh, I think that the stop was BS, no doubt, but all a cop has to testi-lie to is "he looked 16".

If it is an eight year old, I think that would form reasonable suspicion as nobody who is 16 looks like an 8 year old.

But I don't think anyone who looks like they could be 16 should be stopped just because there is a chance they might be younger. On that logic you can stop anyone for no reason at all.

DocWalker

If it is an eight year old, I think that would form reasonable suspicion as nobody who is 16 looks like an 8 year old.

But I don't think anyone who looks like they could be 16 should be stopped just because there is a chance they might be younger. On that logic you can stop anyone for no reason at all.

Wasn't there a criminals named "baby face Nelson"?

If the cop claims he looked under age (say 8 years old) then why point his weapon at him...scaring a kid with an airsoft rifle? No this cop was on a power trip he shouldn't have un-holstered his weapon at all. He had no reason to pull his weapon no matter the age of the LAC.

Yard Sale

gross misdemeanor

NRS 202.290  Aiming firearm at human being; discharging weapon where person might be endangered; penalty.  Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person who willfully:

1.  Aims any gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, whether loaded or not, at or toward any human being; or

2.  Discharges any firearm, air gun or other weapon, or throws any deadly missile in a public place or in any place where any person might be endangered thereby, although an injury does not result,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

[1911 C&P § 344; RL § 6609; NCL § 10292]—(NRS A 1989, 820, 1240, 1243)

vegaspassat

This video was posted on the thread where the guy in Washington was awarded 15k. I posted the question there, so I'll post it here too since yard sale cited the applicable nrs.

Maybe a little of topic, but relevant I feel. In this person's situation, he was doing nothing illegal. Waking down the street. And some guy (with a badge) points a gun at him. Is he within his legal rights to defend himself with deadly force?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

PALO

Vegaspassat wrote: Waking down the street. And some guy (with a badge) points a gun at him. Is he within his legal rights to defend himself with deadly force?

No. In brief, if a guy with a badge (cop) points his gun at you, you are obligated to comply with his instructions. Assume arguendo, you have done nothing wrong. He may be pointing a gun at you for any # of reasons. He very well may have RAS or PC. You of course have no way of knowing at the beginning of the stop why he is pointing his gun at you. You can't assume, as an OCer, that your OCing is why he is pointing a gun at you. For all you know, an armed robbery just occurred and you match the description, etc.

I was stopped at gunpoint back in my college days. I had done NOTHING wrong. Turns out the scenario was exactly as above. An armed robbery had just occurred. I was driving a type of vehicle that matched the description of the get away vehicle. My physical description also matched the perp. My location and direction of travel were consistent with having committed the armed robbery, also.

Iow, he had bucketloads of RAS that I was the robber.

*i* had no way of knowing that. I just know a cop was pointing his gun at me (several, actually) and issuing me orders. I followed same orders, was proned out on the pavement, etc. and handcuffs were applied.

They explained why they were seizing me and I explained where I was coming from (taco bell). I even had a receipt, plus I was in the middle of eating a taco at the time I was stopped. Since a stop was made for a crime involving threatened deadly force (the perp used a long gun), the officer was justified in frisking me , which he did, as well as the passenger compartment (justified under Michigan v. Long - in Michigan v. Long, the SCOTUS determined that if police have RS that the person is armed and dangerous, they may frisk the passenger compartment of the vehicle he was stopped in. Similar to a terry frisk. It's essentially a "Car frisk", cannot search in areas where the weapon couldn't be (container too small, etc)

After they frisked me and the car, pursuant to Terry v. Ohio and Michigan v. Long, I spoke with them, told them where I was coming from etc etc and it became apparent pretty quickly that I was not the perp.

The point of the story is that you can't know at the time you are stopped at gunpoint by a cop whether he has RAS of a violent crime or not. The fact that you have done nothing wrong is ENTIRELY irrelevant. The issue is the facts and circ's known to the officer at the time he uses that force. In brief, you have to assume he's in the right for doing what he is doing. If it turns out after the fact, he was NOT , you have avenues for redress (consider the guy who just got 15k for getting a gun pointed at him because the cop did NOT have justifiable reasons to point a gun at him (imo, he should have gotten a bigger settlement, but I digress).

Being stopped at gunpoint is what is referred to as a "felony stop". They are key process for officers, and the methods used are done for officer safety and are entirely consistent with the 4th amendment. The force used by officers in a stop must be reasonable GIVEN the crime suspected. As long as that is the case, the stop will be considered a Terry (as opposed to a constructive custodial arrest) and also given that it is not unreasonably extended in time, etc.

However, as a contrary example - If a cop stops you at gunpoint for a (for example) shoplift where no gun was used or implied, it would

1) be viewed as a de facto arrest (vs. terry seizure) and all evidence gained, to include testimonial and physical would be suppressed
2) the ofc. would be civilly liable, as well as subject to deparmental discipline

I've stopped people at gunpoint many many times in a 20+ yr long career, and for everything you could imagine, from murder suspect to you name it. I'm still here living and breathing, too - which is the point. Otoh, one of my best friend was shot and killed during a terry type encounter. He was an attorney before he was a cop and I have no way of knowing if he pat frisked the guy, but whatever occurred during the stop, it ended up with him dead. I think about that nearly every day and I use proper officer safety to protect myself, while balancing the right of suspects to be free of UNreasonable seizures.

Stops at gunpoint allow officers to "get the draw" on suspects. This is valuable because it gives them the upper hand IF the suspect responds violently. It also deters the suspect FROM acting violently, because he can see he is outnumbered and the cops have the drop on him. In cases where they do respond violently (reach for the gun, etc.) it's often a suicide by cop, a guy determined not to be taken alive, etc. I've never had to shoot during a terry stop, thank god.

In brief, if a cop points a gun at you and issues orders, yes - you are legally obligated to comply. And remember, if you are OCing, you may ASSUME it is a cop wrongly drawing down on you merely because you are OCing (and if so, that cop deserves serious discipline and maybe even termination depending on training, facts, etc. ) but it very well may be for some other reason entirely.

cheers