• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy OC'ing an AR gets arrested in Sparks, NV

davidmcbeth

Banned
In brief, if a cop points a gun at you and issues orders, yes - you are legally obligated to comply.

cheers

What? We are only legally obligated to follow legal, lawful, and requests that they actual have authority to make. The presence of a gun is not relevant to this point.

I've had cops tell me I had to let them in my house, I tell them drop dead & I would stop their entry with whatever means was needed; cops tell me to stop recording public meetings ~ I tell them to drop dead there too

You see, cops can LIE to people to get them to do what they want...so is an order to do something based on a lie or not? That's something for a court to figure out if needed.

I have disobeyed more orders than I have complied with ~ and look, I am a freeman ... so, about 80% of orders that cops give they have no right to give, from my experience. And when a freeman says no and is correct in the assessment that they have no authority to issue such an "order" .. they either yell at you that they are giving you a break or just slither away.

Point a gun and make an unlawful request? That's assault with a deadly weapon in my book.

If I wanted to obey orders I would have stayed in the military ...

PALO

What? We are only legally obligated to follow legal, lawful, and requests that they actual have authority to make. The presence of a gun is not relevant to this point.

I've had cops tell me I had to let them in my house, I tell them drop dead & I would stop their entry with whatever means was needed; cops tell me to stop recording public meetings ~ I tell them to drop dead there too

You see, cops can LIE to people to get them to do what they want...so is an order to do something based on a lie or not? That's something for a court to figure out if needed.

I have disobeyed more orders than I have complied with ~ and look, I am a freeman ... so, about 80% of orders that cops give they have no right to give, from my experience. And when a freeman says no and is correct in the assessment that they have no authority to issue such an "order" .. they either yell at you that they are giving you a break or just slither away.

Point a gun and make an unlawful request? That's assault with a deadly weapon in my book.

If I wanted to obey orders I would have stayed in the military ...

actually you are wrong

First of all, in many jurisdictions, you are obligated to submit (such as to an arrest) even if it's NOT valid. Iow, if you resist, that can be criminally charged EVEN THOUGH the arrest later turned out to be bogus. That's the case in many, if not most jurisdictions. You are free to verbally protest it and hope to convince the officer he's messing up, but you CANNOT legally resist (in most jurisdictions).

The second issue, that you completely gloss over is that YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING IN MOST CIRCUMSTANCES A COP ISSUES YOU AN ORDER (such as telling you to put your hands up or whatever) that it IS or ISN'T a lawful legal demand (or request).

The example I gave was the armed robbery example, but let me give you another.

Assume you are driving below the speed limit, etc. and have committed no traffic infractions whatsoever. If a cop turns on his blue lights etc. behind you DO YOU HAVE A LEGAL OBLIGATION TO STOP?

Yes.

It doesn't matter that you (think) you have committed no infraction and thus the order to stop (and the flashing blue lights etc. ARE an order to yield to the right and stop) is an "unlawful" request (actually demand)

You have no way of knowing WHY the cop is blue lighting you. It may be , like in my example, that he has RAS of some crime you have no knowledge of.

If you don't stop, you are committing a crime. Groovy

In SOME states, you do have the right to resist an unlawful arrest, but the burden is entirely on you to be sure it's an ulawful arrest. I don't know what state you live in. Check your state case law. In states where it IS legal to resist an unlawful arrest, it's usually from the common law fwiw.

As for the "unlawful" order... in 20+ yrs of police work, it's been very very very rare that somebody refuses a lawful order (I don't issue unlawful orders) that I have given. Usually, if they initially refuse, I give them the reason WHY I am issuing the order and the consequences of their repeated refusal. And with a little verbal judo, they ALMOST always comply.

One example was we were investigating a possible DV incident (neighbor called when he heard woman crying "help me" from inside the house, etc.) and the male 1/2 was standing in the kitchen immediately next to one of those knife blocks (wooden block that holds a bunch of knives). Basic officer safety and common sense tell me that I am going to ask the guy to step from the kitchen and talk to me here in the living room, where he is not within lunge distance of multiple deadly weapons. We *are* justified in issuing orders like that in cases like that, and I have continually seen courts uphold obstructing etc. arrests when people refuse to comply with same. Anyway, the guy went into a long rant about how it was HIS house and I couldn't tell him where to stand in HIS house bla bla bla. Actually, I can. And I'm not issuing the order to be capricious or a power hungry jerk. I am issuing the order because I have the right to use ReASONABLE means to "make the scene safe" and courts have upheld this time and time again. I explained to him that I was just wanting to move so that he was not within lunge distance of multiple weapons (we all know the reaction time etc. rules for somebody armed with a knife and your gun is in a holster) and that if he refused he was subjecting himself to arrest/charges whereas if he complied we could likely get on with our threshold inquiry and be out of his hair in a few minutes and then he could stand next to his knives to his heart's content.

He complied.

I've had numerous instances that occur in homes where I have the legal right to enter w/o a warrant (under various doctrines, to include community caretaking doctrine, exigency, etc. etc) and the VAST majority of the time I gain voluntary compliance. On maybe 1/100 such incidents I get a refusal and a door being shut on me, and I end up having to make an arrest. And yes, the arrests have always held up. The example I gave recently was where a guy was passed out/dead etc. on the couch, surrounded by beer can and hard liquor , appeared to be underage, etc. and I requested the party at the door, the homeowner, wake him up so I could see if he was ok. Homeowner refused. I told him either he do it, or I do it, but one way or the other, I needed to talk to that kid and I was perfectl y willing to stand outside his house while HE woke the guy up, but if he refused, I would have to make entry t do so and he would be subject to arrest. He refused and tried to shut the door on me. I forced entry and made contact with the kid on the couch. Turns out he had a BAC level that was near the LD50 (iow potentially fatal), I found out later and my getting him prompt medical attention was the right thing to do. His parents thanked me effusively. the homeowner got arrested for obstructing and a liquor violation, and yes THAT held up in court, too. He may have thought it to be an unlawful order (To allow me entry). He was wrong. - community caretaking doctrine, as well as a side order of in loco parentis!

I know my case law and I know my oath (to protect and serve as in the above example... it was about protecting somebody's health and safety and I take that oath very seriously) and I am not about issuing UNlawful orders.

There will always be that small percentage of people who will refuse to comply, and who will even do so after I use my considerable verbal judo skillz (I almost always get compliance. Communication skillz are very important and you learn a lot in 20 yrs about how to gain voluntary compliance and I also learned a lot of psychology in grad school which helps too) and that's their choice/ if they want to obstruct themselves into an arrest, more power to 'em

I've never been sued, I've never had an arrest of that type that didn't hold up, and I will continue to protect people's persons and safety and I will issue orders when necessary to further that goal, orders that are entirely lawful

And there will always be that tiny minority (usually either very drunk or very high ime) who will refuse to comply and they have nobody to blame but themselves for earning a criminal citation or a trip to jail.

If somebody told you to stop recording a public meeting, that was of course an illegal order (it's in the very definition - PUBLIC meeting).

I'm talkin' lawful orders. And again, whether an order is lawful or not is tangential to whether you PERCEIVE it as lawful. In some cases, it may be obvious (a la the recording scenario) but in most cases it is not

If you are bebopping down the sidewalk, doing nothing wrong, and a cop stops you at gunpoint and orders you to raise your hands above your head, do you comply? You may ASSUME it's some moron cop unlawfully overereacting to your OCing, but you don't KNOW that. You may be a criminal suspect in a robbery or whatnot. Don't assume.

Regardless of your bogus statistics, I know that in my case, my orders ARE lawful, I know that the overwhelming majority of people comply with same, I know that when they don't comply that every time I have taken enforcement action pursuant to that refusal - theresult was a criminal conviction, and I know that if I issue an order there is a damn good reason for me to do so. I don't lie . I don't issue unlawful orders. I don't throw my authoritah around - I only issue orders when damn well justified, and I expect and get compliance almost every time

I would WAY rather get compliance than make an arrest. Making an arrest takes me out of my district and leaves the districts even MORE undestaffed than we are already. It's not done to prove a point. It's done in the course of justice. Good cops would WAY rather use their mouth than their pen, and would way rather use their pen than their handcuffs. Sometimes, I get lucky and can go a week without an arrest. Groovy.

I've actually got my dept. laptop out right now and am looking through the case reports I have filed and arrests for "obstruction" are very very rare. Thank god the overwhelming majority of the public are good people, that they listen to reason, that they comply with police, and that they view us as honest and professional. It makes the job rewarding.

Feel free to resist lawful orders, and feel free to spend the night in jail if you do.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
actually you are wrong

First of all, in many jurisdictions, you are obligated to submit (such as to an arrest) even if it's NOT valid. Iow, if you resist, that can be criminally charged EVEN THOUGH the arrest later turned out to be bogus. That's the case in many, if not most jurisdictions. You are free to verbally protest it and hope to convince the officer he's messing up, but you CANNOT legally resist (in most jurisdictions).

The second issue, that you completely gloss over is that YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING IN MOST CIRCUMSTANCES A COP ISSUES YOU AN ORDER (such as telling you to put your hands up or whatever) that it IS or ISN'T a lawful legal demand (or request).

Well, it is true that when a cop gives you an order you don't know if its a lawful order or not. That's why we have courts. Where I live, I can resist and I do when an order is improper. I am not talking about an arrest but the giving of an order to perform some act (move here, do this, stop doing that, etc.). Arrests are a different subject matter. Perhaps your thoughts were on arrest..

cirrusly

I hope the officers who [allegedly] victimized and unlawfully arrested this OCer get personally charged with "assault with a deadly weapon." Ridiculous situation!

PALO

Well, it is true that when a cop gives you an order you don't know if its a lawful order or not. That's why we have courts. Where I live, I can resist and I do when an order is improper. I am not talking about an arrest but the giving of an order to perform some act (move here, do this, stop doing that, etc.). Arrests are a different subject matter. Perhaps your thoughts were on arrest..

I was talking primarily about orders... as well as arrests, etc.

Simple question: in YOUR jurisdiction, can you lawfully resist an unlawful arrest? (again, some you can, some you cant)

And of course you are exactly right. The courts are the ultimate "decider" in whether the order I give is lawful.

It goes like this. I issue order. It's lawful (I've never had a case overturned etc. because of an unlawful order and every time I have arrested somebody for refusing to comply with same, the arrest has held up). Guy refuses. I engage in verbal judo. The OVERWHELMING majority of the time, I gain voluntary compliance and my order is accepted and adhered to (some as simple as "take your hands out of your pockets please". stuff like that). In the very rare case, the order is willfully disobeyed and even after I warn that they will get arrested if they refuse (unless there is substantial exigency, when it comes to making valid arrests based on obstruction of a lawful order, it is always best to warn the subject they will be arrested if they refuse. Prosecutors have told me that the case is much stronger when such a warning is given), then I make an arrest or issue a criminal citation.

Then, the courts become the decider. If I arrest based on refusal to comply with an UNlawful order, I open myself to dept. discipline, civil liability, and in rare cases, criminal liability.

Screw that.

I don't need that hassle. That's why I only issue lawful orders. In the last month, I've had cases involving refusing to comply with unlawful orders, and in both cases they ultimately ended up with assault on a police officer (in one case it was me, and in the other it was my partner) and arrest. So, it's been an unusual month, in that Assaults on an officer are pretty rare with me. Usually, I can gain compliance, I am 'big' enough that i have the deterrent of some good command presence, and often the assaulter is drunk, so it's pretty easy to parry their lame attempt at assault.

The first case involved a drunk female refusing to exit her car. I have zero doubt the case will hold up. She was given ample warnings, PLUS we have the benefit of having the incident on video. Slam dunk

The second involved a terry stop that turned into a warrant arrest/assault on a police officer arrest. I have zero doubt that case will hold up.

But it's been an outlier month. I can go many months in between obstruction and/or assault on a PO incident. Imo and ime, the WA courts (which are much more protective of civil rights to include privacy etc. than the federal standard) do a darn good job of balancing the right of persons to be "left alone" by police without due cause , with the authoritah of cops to detain people pursuant to investigations. Also, here in the Pac NW,frankly,... the guys are pussys. Passive aggressive pussys. When I was in Hawaii, it was a MUCH tougher culture. Guys liked to fight. It was good natured, though. They have to make a good show of resisting arrest, to save face with their family. And assuming they weren't super assaultive, we wouldn't even charge resisting against them. Just accepted that sometimes you gotta get into a scrap to make an arrest. Pac NW guys are total candyass pussies and will comply with arrest and THEN once they are in handcuffs start in on the tuff gai routine "if I didn't have these handcuffs on I'd kick your..." bla bla bla

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
And there will always be that tiny minority (usually either very drunk or very high ime) who will refuse to comply and they have nobody to blame but themselves for earning a criminal citation or a trip to jail.

One potential problem with a system that says that citizens should obey any order from an officer no matter what is that is that it can easily be exploited by an impostor.

Last edited:

vegaspassat

I just remembered this part of the NRS regarding drawing a weapon in public.

Posted by NRS
1.  ...a person ... who ... draws or exhibits any of such deadly weapons in a rude, angry or threatening manner not in necessary self-defense, or who in any manner unlawfully uses that weapon in any fight or quarrel, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

2.  A sheriff, deputy sheriff, marshal, constable or other peace officer shall not be held to answer, under the provisions of subsection 1, for drawing or exhibiting any of the weapons mentioned therein while in the lawful discharge of his or her duties....

it would appear that LEO are exempt. So the answer to my question would be no. Not based on any of the things PALO said, but because of this in the NRS.

Yard Sale

In brief, if a guy with a badge (cop) points his gun at you, you are obligated to comply with his instructions.
A guy with a badge, a cop from the department in this video, pointed a gun at me and demanded I answer questions, while I was handcuffed, seated in a chair. I declined. What's the statute of limitations on "Failure to waive a constitutionally protected right under the threat of death?"

The only obligation is from the coercive threat of death that pointing the gun brings. Reference the Washington victim and his settlement.

DocWalker

Vegaspassat wrote: Waking down the street. And some guy (with a badge) points a gun at him. Is he within his legal rights to defend himself with deadly force?

No. In brief, if a guy with a badge (cop) points his gun at you, you are obligated to comply with his instructions. Assume arguendo, you have done nothing wrong. He may be pointing a gun at you for any # of reasons. He very well may have RAS or PC. You of course have no way of knowing at the beginning of the stop why he is pointing his gun at you. You can't assume, as an OCer, that your OCing is why he is pointing a gun at you. For all you know, an armed robbery just occurred and you match the description, etc.

I was stopped at gunpoint back in my college days. I had done NOTHING wrong. Turns out the scenario was exactly as above. An armed robbery had just occurred. I was driving a type of vehicle that matched the description of the get away vehicle. My physical description also matched the perp. My location and direction of travel were consistent with having committed the armed robbery, also.

Or you could just have trigger happy cops as in the cops in California that shoot up a truck with two ladies delivering papers....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/07/lapd-shooting-at-innocent-people_n_2638701.html

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I think the individual would have been correct in defending himself against the violence perpetrated by the Sparks PD officer. The officer displayed signs of mental illness, Here is how:

• The Cop initiated contact displaying a deadly weapon and threatening the mans life.
This "use of force," requires Probable cause. P/C defined by the supreme court as: probable cause exists when the facts and circumstances known by the officer would warrant a prudent man to believe a crime had been committed, and this man committed the crime.

This "use of force" would also require (to be lawful) that the cop had fact based belief that himself, or others were in imminent danger.

However the opposite happens, the the cop utilizes "use of force" to assist him in his investigation/ Terry stop. This makes the cop a criminal. He (the cop) pointed a firearm at the face of an individual, and admitted he did not have a crime present, "we are just gonna make sure" was what he said while threatening the mans life.

The cop also shows that he believes it is a Terry stop, by soliciting consent for the "pat down" search. This officer needs a mental evaluation he is putting his co-workers at risk! Not to mention you and I.

davidmcbeth

Banned
It goes like this.

Well, for me it goes like this:

Cop yells out something for me to do. I decide if it is a lawful order (most times they are). If a lawful order, I usually (normally) comply...if I don't I usually get a clunk on the head ~ that's OK.

Now, if I decide it is not a lawful order ... now I have an armed individual giving me an unlawful order. I won't follow an unlawful order. Never. From there it depends on many factors what course of action I take...since the variables are too numerous to specify, I cannot provide any specific course of action that would be taken. But it generally could include just yelling back, walking away, physical resistance, or armed resistance.

And I have had several instances of cops giving what I considered to be unlawful commands. I am still here, a free man, free of any convictions associated with any such confrontations. So, I must know something.

I would say 95% of commands given by cops have been lawful. So my unlawful incidents have been few and far between ~ my last one was about 18 months ago. Of course, I do not initiate any contact with regular cops.

FreeInAZ

@McBeth - you only initiate contact with "irregular" cops then? Good on you! :p

ETA - carry prunes, carry bran muffins & offer them to those poor officers. ;)

Last edited:

GoDavyGo

I just remembered this part of the NRS regarding drawing a weapon in public.

it would appear that LEO are exempt. So the answer to my question would be no. Not based on any of the things PALO said, but because of this in the NRS.

Wouldn't stoping a person at gunpoint without probable cause be unlawful and therefor not within the scope of his/her duties?

PALO

Wouldn't stoping a person at gunpoint without probable cause be unlawful and therefor not within the scope of his/her duties?

1) everything that Palo said is the truth. And remember, I'm not talking theory. I;m talking about what works on the street AND in court as seen dozens, scores, or hundreds of times depending...

2) a cop can stop a person at gunpoint based on REASONABLE SUSPICION in many cases. The use of force (gunpoint, empty hand control, drawn taser, etc.) used during a terry must be "reasonable" and by "reasonable" that means consistent with the crime suspected. If I am stopping a bank robbery suspect who showed or implied or threatened a gun and the stop is based on RAS, I most definitely can (and do) draw my gun. If stopping a trespassing suspect based on RAS, I don't.

This isn't my opinion, fwiw, this is what training tells me, the prosecutors office tells me, and what gets held as valid during suppression hearings, as well as the trial itself.

Any time a cop points a gun (and fwiw, as an instructor we teach generally NOT to point a gun at a person, but to present it and hold it at "indoor ready" unless you are about to shoot... again GENERALLY SPEAKING. This is more modern firearms training than most cops get, but it's preferable. The reason is you can go from indoor ready to finger on trigger and squeezing in virtually the same time as it takes to go from indexed and pointed at target to on the target and squeezing the trigger.

The former is optimal, but again... not taught that much

I've done several dozen (at least) stops at gunpoint based on RAS. unquestionaby justified BeCAUSE the crime warranted a "felony stop".

Pointing a gun at somebody is undeniably a SEIZURE. Thus, it must be reasonable, and reasonableness for pointing a deadly weapon is because the crime the suspect is suspected of committing justifies it.

Using excessive force, and pointing a gun at a person that the officer does not have valid reasons for so doing, can turn a terry stop into a de facto/constructive arrest. Therefore, unless there was PC (not RAS), everything will get thrown out of court.

Courts historically recognize that certain crimes, even though a gun was not used, warrant felony stops such as stop of a stolen vehicle ,or stop of a vehicle after it eluded police. But MOST cases where an officer draws his gun on a stop are going to be because the person is suspected of a violent crime (which possession of a stolen vehicle, and eluding are not)

Pointing a gun at an OCer ,merely for OCing (in a state where OC is legal) is WAY WAY WAY WAY excessive force.

Pointing a gun at a person I reasonably suspect is a fleeing armed robber (I have RAS) is valid force and will not turn the terry into an arrest.

In some cases, such as an incident I had today I might add, even handcuffing can be done with less than PC to arrest, only RAS. It again depends on the crime the person is being detained for and his actions during the stop

Sometimes even RAS is not needed. For example, when executing a search warrant for a violent criminal, as we move through the house, we will routinely handcuff every person we encounter. Once the scene is made safe, they must be removed unless we have articulable reasons for keeping them on

DocWalker

Well, for me it goes like this:

Cop yells out something for me to do. I decide if it is a lawful order (most times they are). If a lawful order, I usually (normally) comply...if I don't I usually get a clunk on the head ~ that's OK.

Now, if I decide it is not a lawful order ... now I have an armed individual giving me an unlawful order. I won't follow an unlawful order. Never. From there it depends on many factors what course of action I take...since the variables are too numerous to specify, I cannot provide any specific course of action that would be taken. But it generally could include just yelling back, walking away, physical resistance, or armed resistance.

And I have had several instances of cops giving what I considered to be unlawful commands. I am still here, a free man, free of any convictions associated with any such confrontations. So, I must know something.

I would say 95% of commands given by cops have been lawful. So my unlawful incidents have been few and far between ~ my last one was about 18 months ago. Of course, I do not initiate any contact with regular cops.

You seem to forget the badge gives the LEO's majical powers and makes everything they do lawful to include pointing a weapon at a LAC that isn't a threat and the officer has no PC or RAS to even initiate contact. This is why officer Bass in Washington is still working and the tax payers have 15K less in their pockets, he wan't held accountable and has a history of this. Same thing goes in Sparks, the officers have majic badge's.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

1) everything that Palo said is the truth. And remember, I'm not talking theory. I;m talking about what works on the street AND in court as seen dozens, scores, or hundreds of times depending...

2) a cop can stop a person at gunpoint based on REASONABLE SUSPICION in many cases. The use of force (gunpoint, empty hand control, drawn taser, etc.) used during a terry must be "reasonable" and by "reasonable" that means consistent with the crime suspected. If I am stopping a bank robbery suspect who showed or implied or threatened a gun and the stop is based on RAS, I most definitely can (and do) draw my gun. If stopping a trespassing suspect based on RAS, I don't.

This isn't my opinion, fwiw, this is what training tells me, the prosecutors office tells me, and what gets held as valid during suppression hearings, as well as the trial itself.

Any time a cop points a gun (and fwiw, as an instructor we teach generally NOT to point a gun at a person, but to present it and hold it at "indoor ready" unless you are about to shoot... again GENERALLY SPEAKING. This is more modern firearms training than most cops get, but it's preferable. The reason is you can go from indoor ready to finger on trigger and squeezing in virtually the same time as it takes to go from indexed and pointed at target to on the target and squeezing the trigger.

The former is optimal, but again... not taught that much

I've done several dozen (at least) stops at gunpoint based on RAS. unquestionaby justified BeCAUSE the crime warranted a "felony stop".

Pointing a gun at somebody is undeniably a SEIZURE. Thus, it must be reasonable, and reasonableness for pointing a deadly weapon is because the crime the suspect is suspected of committing justifies it.

Using excessive force, and pointing a gun at a person that the officer does not have valid reasons for so doing, can turn a terry stop into a de facto/constructive arrest. Therefore, unless there was PC (not RAS), everything will get thrown out of court.

Courts historically recognize that certain crimes, even though a gun was not used, warrant felony stops such as stop of a stolen vehicle ,or stop of a vehicle after it eluded police. But MOST cases where an officer draws his gun on a stop are going to be because the person is suspected of a violent crime (which possession of a stolen vehicle, and eluding are not)

Pointing a gun at an OCer ,merely for OCing (in a state where OC is legal) is WAY WAY WAY WAY excessive force.

Pointing a gun at a person I reasonably suspect is a fleeing armed robber (I have RAS) is valid force and will not turn the terry into an arrest.

In some cases, such as an incident I had today I might add, even handcuffing can be done with less than PC to arrest, only RAS. It again depends on the crime the person is being detained for and his actions during the stop

Sometimes even RAS is not needed. For example, when executing a search warrant for a violent criminal, as we move through the house, we will routinely handcuff every person we encounter. Once the scene is made safe, they must be removed unless we have articulable reasons for keeping them on

While your zest for violence is apparent, however it seems outpaced by your intent to mislead. I will make some bullet points, on things you posted that do not pass the "smell test." If you truly believe what you are propagating, please do your country a favor and seek proper training.

First thing out the gate, you "vouched for yourself." That is only cool in beer commercials, any where else (including P.O.S.T.) it is a red flag.

The Terry stop was intended to allow an officer to contact a suspect, and obtain enough facts to either arrest the suspect, or eliminate suspicion altogether. There is a large difference between RAS and PC.
here is how the progression works: ecdlaw.info/outlines/2 - 10-28-11 Brave UOF Chart ...

I hope you are not trying to put up all of these Disneyland examples to distort the truth, but it wouldn't be the first time a cop has jumped this forum and tried. I see you were correct in pointing out who the criminal is in this case:

The problem is your speculation about what would be "reasonable" in a make believe situation, is a scary but true glimpse of an institution that "hunts" down those it purports to "serve."

The whole idea of this country was to leave the decision making up to the law, and legislature... In the last 40 years the cops have used the "reasonable" argument to get around the probable cause requirement in the constitution. That is the biggest admission of crime there is!

Here is a sample of how your argument will turn out when pushed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzxV4Hfslys

Officer Ray, and the radio host insisted that I take a stand and either defend the AK open carrier, or denounce. The reality of the situation is this, Officer Ray swore an Oath to defend this persons rights, Officer Ray admits that it is hiss right to carry like he did. Yet officer Ray craps all over his Oath and Morality. and no one asks him to do it! Very enlightening.

PALO

While your zest for violence is apparent, however it seems outpaced by your intent to mislead. I will make some bullet points, on things you posted that do not pass the "smell test." If you truly believe what you are propagating, please do your country a favor and seek proper training.

First thing out the gate, you "vouched for yourself." That is only cool in beer commercials, any where else (including P.O.S.T.) it is a red flag.

The Terry stop was intended to allow an officer to contact a suspect, and obtain enough facts to either arrest the suspect, or eliminate suspicion altogether. There is a large difference between RAS and PC.
here is how the progression works: ecdlaw.info/outlines/2 - 10-28-11 Brave UOF Chart ...

I hope you are not trying to put up all of these Disneyland examples to distort the truth, but it wouldn't be the first time a cop has jumped this forum and tried. I see you were correct in pointing out who the criminal is in this case:

The problem is your speculation about what would be "reasonable" in a make believe situation, is a scary but true glimpse of an institution that "hunts" down those it purports to "serve."

The whole idea of this country was to leave the decision making up to the law, and legislature... In the last 40 years the cops have used the "reasonable" argument to get around the probable cause requirement in the constitution. That is the biggest admission of crime there is!

Here is a sample of how your argument will turn out when pushed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzxV4Hfslys

Officer Ray, and the radio host insisted that I take a stand and either defend the AK open carrier, or denounce. The reality of the situation is this, Officer Ray swore an Oath to defend this persons rights, Officer Ray admits that it is hiss right to carry like he did. Yet officer Ray craps all over his Oath and Morality. and no one asks him to do it! Very enlightening.

It's not even worth addressing points made by a troll who claims I have a "zest for violence"

I know that I certainly do not. I have never been accused of, let alone found guilty of excessive force. Not in 20+ yrs. I carried a taser for years w/o ever using it, and my use of force rate (rate of force used per arrests) is substantially below both the dept and the national average

Iow, I am able to use my command presence and verbal judo skills to AVOID using force far more often than the average officer, based on stats that are readily available.

Fwiw, as stated before, I rarely carry my firearm off duty . I am here because I strongly support the RIGHT to carry. Personally, despite my right, I rarely exercise it off duty.

Nobody who knows my record would ever claim I have a zest for violence, and certainly nothing I have posted here evidences same.

When somebody starts out a post in response to mine and opens it with a personal attack (vs attacking my ideas, you attack my character), MEGO and I just recognize you should be put in the category with the other trolls here, a tiny minority, if a vocal one, and move on ... continuing to discourse with the others here, the vast majority of whom act like adults and don't get into petty personal attacks when they happen to disagree with somebody. Not worth my time

Everything I say in my post is true, and that's not opinion, it's backed up by case facts - the overwhelming majority of the time I gain voluntary compliance with my lawful orders, to include the order to submit to arrest, and when I unfortunately, have to make an arrest for violating same, I almost alway accomplish it with no force. If I had a zest for violence,I would have complaints for force, and especially sustained complaints of force.

Police officers can and do issue reasonable orders, such as the ones mentioned, and the courts support our authoritah to do so. That's why when I have to make an arrest for refusal to comply with same, which again is SWIMMINGLY rare, the people are found guilty and specifically my right to issue such orders is upheld in court. Those are the "deciders" that matter- the judges that judge my conduct, not internet trolls who engage in personal attacks

Ironically, yesterday, one of my partners had to cuff up a guy pursuant to an investigation he was obstructing and I managed to get voluntary compliance with him so he could be unhandcuffed and let go to go his merry way. Verbal judo works, and those are the skills I use, force being a rare exception.

Now, time to get back to discussing issues with the adults and ignoring those who engage in personal attacks

cheers

DON`T TREAD ON ME

It's not even worth addressing points made by a troll who claims I have a "zest for violence"

I know that I certainly do not. I have never been accused of, let alone found guilty of excessive force. Not in 20+ yrs. I carried a taser for years w/o ever using it, and my use of force rate (rate of force used per arrests) is substantially below both the dept and the national average

Iow, I am able to use my command presence and verbal judo skills to AVOID using force far more often than the average officer, based on stats that are readily available.

Fwiw, as stated before, I rarely carry my firearm off duty . I am here because I strongly support the RIGHT to carry. Personally, despite my right, I rarely exercise it off duty.

Nobody who knows my record would ever claim I have a zest for violence, and certainly nothing I have posted here evidences same.

When somebody starts out a post in response to mine and opens it with a personal attack (vs attacking my ideas, you attack my character), MEGO and I just recognize you should be put in the category with the other trolls here, a tiny minority, if a vocal one, and move on ... continuing to discourse with the others here, the vast majority of whom act like adults and don't get into petty personal attacks when they happen to disagree with somebody. Not worth my time

Everything I say in my post is true, and that's not opinion, it's backed up by case facts - the overwhelming majority of the time I gain voluntary compliance with my lawful orders, to include the order to submit to arrest, and when I unfortunately, have to make an arrest for violating same, I almost alway accomplish it with no force. If I had a zest for violence,I would have complaints for force, and especially sustained complaints of force.

Police officers can and do issue reasonable orders, such as the ones mentioned, and the courts support our authoritah to do so. That's why when I have to make an arrest for refusal to comply with same, which again is SWIMMINGLY rare, the people are found guilty and specifically my right to issue such orders is upheld in court. Those are the "deciders" that matter- the judges that judge my conduct, not internet trolls who engage in personal attacks

Ironically, yesterday, one of my partners had to cuff up a guy pursuant to an investigation he was obstructing and I managed to get voluntary compliance with him so he could be unhandcuffed and let go to go his merry way. Verbal judo works, and those are the skills I use, force being a rare exception.

Now, time to get back to discussing issues with the adults and ignoring those who engage in personal attacks

cheers

I origanaly posted this:
Pursuant to the rules of this forum would you please comply with this request to cite your source for the claims you made previously.
You can use my post for a template if it helps.
I remove my request as it was a knee Jerk reaction.

I find it ironic that you took the "zest for violence" statement as a slam. as I downplayed the violence part and basically said you were being misleading. It may be that I struck a chord with you, I appreciate the fact that you make an effort to be a minimalist when it comes to propagating violence.

The fact remains that a street cop will not keep his job, if he does not commit violent acts and threats against other humans.

While you try to be less violent than your co-workers, it is like saying that you take less steroids than most other ball players.

calling me a troll, made me grin!

Last edited:

OngoingFreedom

PALO, thank you for posting your perspective. Very enlightening, and educational for all (I'm looking at you, LEO bashers).

Last edited: