• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knock game not so fun

Firearms Iinstuctor

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3058965/posts

'Point 'em out, knock 'em out': Brutal game ends when assault victim fires his concealed handgun
Mlive ^ | 8-26-2013 | John Barnes

The game was called "point 'em out, knock 'em out," and it was as random as it was brutal.

The object: Target an innocent victim for no other reason than they are there, then sucker punch him or her.

But on this day in Lansing, there would be no punch. The teen-age attacker had a stun gun. He did not know his would-be victim was carrying a legally concealed pistol.

The teen lost the game

The 17-year-old in gym shorts approached his target. The 28-year-old Lansing man was waiting for his daughter at her school-bus stop at REO Road and Ballard Street.

....The teen had two friends nearby - dropped off by a third friend in a van after they scouted their target. They knew what Marvell Weaver was going to do. They had discussed it.

Weaver approached his victim from behind, a black KL-800 Type Stun Gun in his pocket. It is capable of generating 1.8 million volts.

He passed him and turned back, pressed the stun gun into the victim’s side. Again and again, and … nothing. It had fired earlier when testing it, he would later tell police.

“The button was like stuck down … or something. I don’t know what caused it not to work,” according to a transcript of Weaver’s statement.

‘Please don’t kill me’

The intended victim moved quickly, pulling his stainless steel .40-caliber Smith and Wesson. It had a full 10-bullet magazine, and was worth about $900 police estimated.

He shot Weaver in his buttocks as the teen turned to flee.

“It happened so fast I wasn’t sure. I just know something was shoved into my side. I wasn’t sure if it was a knife, if it was anything,” he told police.

Weaver ran, sat down across the street, his leg going numb, bleeding. Pleading

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...The game was called "point 'em out, knock 'em out," and it was as random as it was brutal.

The object: Target an innocent victim for no other reason than they are there, then sucker punch him or her.

But on this day in Lansing, there would be no punch. The teen-age attacker had a stun gun. He did not know his would-be victim was carrying a legally concealed pistol.

The teen lost the game

I've heard of the same "game", but under the name "Knockout". The point is to knock someone unconscious in one punch, but the news reported that failure to knock the victim unconscious in one blow would sometimes be followed by an assault by the original punk and the rest of his/her buddies. I believe one man was even killed because of it. Somewhere in the Northeast.
*Edit: found a link to the case from Syracuse, NY http://www.wktv.com/news/top-stories/Teens-trial-set-in-mans-knockout-game-death-216576691.html*

The intended victim moved quickly, pulling his stainless steel .40-caliber Smith and Wesson. It had a full 10-bullet magazine, and was worth about $900 police estimated.

He shot Weaver in his buttocks as the teen turned to flee.

“It happened so fast I wasn’t sure. I just know something was shoved into my side. I wasn’t sure if it was a knife, if it was anything,” he told police.

Weaver ran, sat down across the street, his leg going numb, bleeding. Pleading

Glad this one worked out, but it would have been better if it had been recorded. For posterity.:)

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sounds like Ingham County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Lisa McCormick is either aware of the work Force Science Institute has done explaining how folks get shot in the side/back when the shooter swears they were shooting the perp head-on. Between the time the decision is mae to pull the trigger and you finger actually does so the perp can turn 180* and mopve several feet away.

On a different note - why do defense attorneys think having their client say "I'm sorry" does anything to change the situation

stay safe.

Maverick9

Rhetorical question, but what does the 'police estimate' of the value of the firearm matter (was worth about $900 police estimated)?

Or the caliber or 'full 10 bullet magazine'?

Rusty Young Man

Rhetorical question, but what does the 'police estimate' of the value of the firearm matter (was worth about $900 police estimated)?

Or the caliber or 'full 10 bullet magazine'?

The media wants to distract people from the real issues at hand (moral degredation of society, loss of respect towards others, increasingly violent and turbulent youth, etc.). Just like every time an AR 15 is mentioned, there is always a little tidbit along the lines of "the type of weapon used by the shooter at an elementary school massacre in Newtown, CT." It reinforces the notion that the GUNS, not the people operating the inanimate object, are the cause of "gun violence."

It is a fairly standard technique (trick), used since at least Nazi Germany (and undeniably, with great effect) to repeatedly drill a notion, however false, into the minds of the masses:

"The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over” - Joseph Goebbels (Hitler's Minister of Propaganda)

Last edited:

jeffrey-r

The media wants to distract people from the real issues at hand (moral degredation of society, loss of respect towards others, increasingly violent and turbulent youth, etc.). Just like every time an AR 15 is mentioned, there is always a little tidbit along the lines of "the type of weapon used by the shooter at an elementary school massacre in Newtown, CT." It reinforces the notion that the GUNS, not the people operating the inanimate object, are the cause of "gun violence."

It is a fairly standard technique (trick), used since at least Nazi Germany (and undeniably, with great effect) to repeatedly drill a notion, however false, into the minds of the masses:

"The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over” - Joseph Goebbels (Hitler's Minister of Propaganda)

Does anyone else catch the irony of calling out something like "the type of weapon used in Newtown" as a standard trick, and then in the very next sentence tacking on a "used since Nazi Germany" to drive home HIS point? Oh, the humor is not lost on me.

eye95

The irony is lost on me.

Using an AR-15 is not, in and of itself, evil. It's use in Newtown was. Using it to defend one's store against rioters is not

Using propaganda to mislead the masses is evil, now and in Nazi Germany.

That is a fundamental enough difference to destroy any irony.

HP995

If the stun gun had not jammed, how would this have turned out? That was a close shave.

Thank God the victim was armed and was able to take advantage of that failure.

Otherwise, he might be just another victim with a fractured skull ignored by the national media.

dominic22

I cannot think of a word that is good enough to describe those who participate in this "game". It's pathetic. It gives a worsening image to teenagers, like myself, that try and do what is right. I read an article on an elderly woman who was ganged up on, they were playing this "game". Well, she, like the gentleman mentioned in the original post, was legally carrying a concealed weapon.

Here is a link to a news article that describes another incident where something similar took place.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/30/guess-what-happens-to-76-year-old-woman-while-rally-to-end-knockout-game-wraps-up-nearby/