Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Arlington County Delay in CHP Processing

  1. #1
    Regular Member cirrusly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    331

    Arlington County Delay in CHP Processing

    Hi All,

    I applied for my Virginia resident CHP awhile back, and it has been beyond 45 days since receiving any type of response. For reference, the VA state law specifies:

    § 18.2-308.05. Issuance of a de facto permit.

    If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and mail or send via electronic mail a copy of the certified application to the applicant within five business days of the expiration of the 45-day period. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection A of § 18.2-308.01,
    In reading another forum, it was suggested to contact the Chief Justice.

    Quote Originally Posted by 'ctr' via defensivecarry.com
    You may try sending a polite letter to this man. VCDL indicates he would like to know when courts are not following the rules.

    Chief Justice
    Supreme Court of Virginia
    100 North Ninth Street, Fifth Floor
    Richmond, VA 23219

    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...p-overdue.html
    Has anyone else experienced delays with Arlington's processing of CHPs? I'm contemplating what action I take.
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    315
    Step 1 is to go to the clerks office and demand they issue s temporary permit in accordance with 18.2-308.05 (They will probably refuse to)
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...od+18.2-308.05
    Last edited by builtjeep; 08-26-2013 at 05:09 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Shovelhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NO VA, ,
    Posts
    355
    When I dropped off the forms in Arlington to renew mine recently, the lady behind the counter knew (and told me) that after 45 days she would need to issue a Temp permit.
    My renewed permit was in my mailbox 30 days later.
    Give 'em a call.
    Last edited by Shovelhead; 08-26-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

  4. #4
    Regular Member cirrusly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    When I dropped off the forms in Arlington to renew mine recently, the lady behind the counter knew (and told me) that after 45 days she would need to issue a Temp permit.
    My renewed permit was in my mailbox 30 days later.
    Give 'em a call.
    Thanks for the advise. I called and was told the the permit has been mailed. I'm glad to find Arlington is aware and abiding by the state statute.

    In reading the law a little more closely they have 5 days following the 45 days to actually mail the temporary permit if a permit or denial has not been issued within those original 45 days.

    I'll follow up on this thread when it arrives.
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    Thanks for the advise. I called and was told the the permit has been mailed. I'm glad to find Arlington is aware and abiding by the state statute.

    In reading the law a little more closely they have 5 days following the 45 days to actually mail the temporary permit if a permit or denial has not been issued within those original 45 days.

    I'll follow up on this thread when it arrives.
    Its in the mail ... oh, the post office must have lost it, sorry.

    Hope u get your permit....we'll see.

  6. #6
    Regular Member cirrusly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Its in the mail ... oh, the post office must have lost it, sorry.

    Hope u get your permit....we'll see.
    I understand the cynical response to the "in the mail" comment from the courthouse. But as Shovelhead noted, it does seem Arlington county is at the least aware of the state mandates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead
    When I dropped off the forms in Arlington to renew mine recently, the lady behind the counter knew (and told me) that after 45 days she would need to issue a Temp permit.
    My experience in delivering the application for the permit was similar, in that the person at the counter was knowledgeable of the time frame and process. But yes, I also hope they are truthful and that is REALLY IS, in the mail...
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

  7. #7
    Regular Member cirrusly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    331
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5246.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	10753

    I may live in a liberal county that charges an unconstitutional vehicle property tax, but at least they honor CCW processing.
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Shovelhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NO VA, ,
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5246.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	10753

    I may live in a liberal county that charges an unconstitutional vehicle property tax, but at least they honor CCW processing.
    Mine was a renewal.
    She told me that there was a large number of new permits in processing, but renewals should take less time due to the fact that we've already been through the major background check, and a proficiency with a firearm verification is not needed.
    She was correct.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •