• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arlington County Delay in CHP Processing

cirrusly

Hi All,

I applied for my Virginia resident CHP awhile back, and it has been beyond 45 days since receiving any type of response. For reference, the VA state law specifies:

§ 18.2-308.05. Issuance of a de facto permit.

If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and mail or send via electronic mail a copy of the certified application to the applicant within five business days of the expiration of the 45-day period. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection A of § 18.2-308.01,

In reading another forum, it was suggested to contact the Chief Justice.

[QUOTE='ctr' via defensivecarry.com] You may try sending a polite letter to this man. VCDL indicates he would like to know when courts are not following the rules.

Chief Justice
Supreme Court of Virginia
100 North Ninth Street, Fifth Floor
Richmond, VA 23219

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/concealed-carry-issues-discussions/77621-chp-overdue.html
[/QUOTE]

Has anyone else experienced delays with Arlington's processing of CHPs? I'm contemplating what action I take.

Shovelhead

When I dropped off the forms in Arlington to renew mine recently, the lady behind the counter knew (and told me) that after 45 days she would need to issue a Temp permit.
My renewed permit was in my mailbox 30 days later.
Give 'em a call.

Last edited:

cirrusly

When I dropped off the forms in Arlington to renew mine recently, the lady behind the counter knew (and told me) that after 45 days she would need to issue a Temp permit.
My renewed permit was in my mailbox 30 days later.
Give 'em a call.

Thanks for the advise. I called and was told the the permit has been mailed. I'm glad to find Arlington is aware and abiding by the state statute.

In reading the law a little more closely they have 5 days following the 45 days to actually mail the temporary permit if a permit or denial has not been issued within those original 45 days.

I'll follow up on this thread when it arrives.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Thanks for the advise. I called and was told the the permit has been mailed. I'm glad to find Arlington is aware and abiding by the state statute.

In reading the law a little more closely they have 5 days following the 45 days to actually mail the temporary permit if a permit or denial has not been issued within those original 45 days.

I'll follow up on this thread when it arrives.

Its in the mail ... oh, the post office must have lost it, sorry.

Hope u get your permit....we'll see.

cirrusly

Its in the mail ... oh, the post office must have lost it, sorry.

Hope u get your permit....we'll see.

I understand the cynical response to the "in the mail" comment from the courthouse. But as Shovelhead noted, it does seem Arlington county is at the least aware of the state mandates.

Shovelhead said:

My experience in delivering the application for the permit was similar, in that the person at the counter was knowledgeable of the time frame and process. But yes, I also hope they are truthful and that is REALLY IS, in the mail...

cirrusly

IMG_5246.jpg

I may live in a liberal county that charges an unconstitutional vehicle property tax, but at least they honor CCW processing. :banana:

Shovelhead

View attachment 10753

I may live in a liberal county that charges an unconstitutional vehicle property tax, but at least they honor CCW processing. :banana:

Mine was a renewal.
She told me that there was a large number of new permits in processing, but renewals should take less time due to the fact that we've already been through the major background check, and a proficiency with a firearm verification is not needed.
She was correct.