Thread: Who owns the Port Of Seattle?

Who owns the Port Of Seattle?

I have to ask this because of the the "No Firearms" signs at the entrance of Pier 90 and 91 in Seattle. I go there often and see these signs but do not believe they are correct. I am up in Alaska this week but will be back in Seattle and at the port after September 8 and can post a picture then if needed. I do not know the correct channels to pursue this but hopefully someone on the site can.

The Port is a municipal corporation, just like any city, sewer district, fire district, etc. It's run by an elected board of commissioners. We fought with them a few years ago to end the administrative rules against carrying guns in the non-sterile areas of SeaTac airport. We won.

Is the area in question open to the general public?

You could try the Ethics & Compliance hotline: http://www.portseattle.org/About/Con...e-Hotline.aspx

Or email the commission: http://www.portseattle.org/About/Com...s/default.aspx

State preemption applies to the terminals, as the allowed restrictions (.300) only outlines restrictions in airports. At least that's what I see.

Oh, just on a curious note (and a little OT), after Chan v. Seattle, have Seattle city parks turned into the Hollywood-ized "Wild West" or become a cesspool of filth and villainy? Wait, don't rush to answer! Everyone will have their turn.
    Last edited by mikeyb; 08-27-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    The Port is a municipal corporation, just like any city, sewer district, fire district, etc. It's run by an elected board of commissioners. We fought with them a few years ago to end the administrative rules against carrying guns in the non-sterile areas of SeaTac airport. We won.

Is the area in question open to the general public?
    There is a security gate manned by rent-a-guards unless a cruise ship is in and then it is a pass through. Which I find ironic since higher security would be needed when the ships are in I would think. Also when they are in the Seattle boat police patrol the waters around the port when the ships are in but are hardly visible any other times. There are secure areas within the port that require a 'twix' card to enter but not often. I just had to ask because I am sick and tired of authorities(of all types) making up illegal rules and then trying to enforce them.