• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who owns the Port Of Seattle?

40S&W

I have to ask this because of the the "No Firearms" signs at the entrance of Pier 90 and 91 in Seattle. I go there often and see these signs but do not believe they are correct. I am up in Alaska this week but will be back in Seattle and at the port after September 8 and can post a picture then if needed. I do not know the correct channels to pursue this but hopefully someone on the site can.

deanf

The Port is a municipal corporation, just like any city, sewer district, fire district, etc. It's run by an elected board of commissioners. We fought with them a few years ago to end the administrative rules against carrying guns in the non-sterile areas of SeaTac airport. We won.

Is the area in question open to the general public?

mikeyb

You could try the Ethics & Compliance hotline: http://www.portseattle.org/About/Contact/Pages/Ethics-Compliance-Hotline.aspx

Or email the commission: http://www.portseattle.org/About/Commission/Pages/default.aspx

State preemption applies to the terminals, as the allowed restrictions (.300) only outlines restrictions in airports. At least that's what I see.

Oh, just on a curious note (and a little OT), after Chan v. Seattle, have Seattle city parks turned into the Hollywood-ized "Wild West" or become a cesspool of filth and villainy? Wait, don't rush to answer! Everyone will have their turn. ;)

Last edited:

40S&W

The Port is a municipal corporation, just like any city, sewer district, fire district, etc. It's run by an elected board of commissioners. We fought with them a few years ago to end the administrative rules against carrying guns in the non-sterile areas of SeaTac airport. We won.

Is the area in question open to the general public?

There is a security gate manned by rent-a-guards unless a cruise ship is in and then it is a pass through. Which I find ironic since higher security would be needed when the ships are in I would think. Also when they are in the Seattle boat police patrol the waters around the port when the ships are in but are hardly visible any other times. There are secure areas within the port that require a 'twix' card to enter but not often. I just had to ask because I am sick and tired of authorities(of all types) making up illegal rules and then trying to enforce them.