• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safariland 6378, Commander Length 1911 Compatability

Kamihoshi

Hey guys. I'm in the market for a new open carry holster! After narrowing down the options, I've settled on a Safariland 6378. I looked on SLs website and the list they give there on compatibility does not show any commander length 1911s (I have a Kimber Pro Carry II 4"). I found one on cheaperthandirt that is supposedly made for a kimber pro carry. I also double checked on a few different other websites and found a model number: 6378-52-411. These other websites are pretty vague on whether or not this holster is actually made for a government model and can accept a 4" 1911 or is made for that 4" model specifically. Anybody have first hand experience or can tell me definitively?

(I also found a forum site where a user commented that SL doesn't make commander length ALS holsters. This post was made years ago though, hence the question)

jeeper1

This is the part number I found for the government model 5 inch barreled pistol.
6378-53-411
It looks like there would be no problem with a shorter barreled pistol.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The only difference of any note between a full size, government model 1911 and a commander size is the length of the frame and slide at the muzzle end. Have many different holsters for 1911s and both the full size and the Commnder fit them interchangeably. A Commander will just stop a bit short of the end of a holster designed to protect the muzzle of a full size model. Works fine - in fact I am wearing such a combination now :)

Any holster made specifically and exclusively for a Commander size could have problems with a full size 1911, depending on how it was constructed. A closed holster bottom would prevent full insertion of a 5" 1911; an open bottom would cause the muzzle to protrude, unprotected.

My recommendation: buy the full size model and be able to carrry either gun. ymmv

Kamihoshi

The only difference of any note between a full size, government model 1911 and a commander size is the length of the frame and slide at the muzzle end. Have many different holsters for 1911s and both the full size and the Commnder fit them interchangeably. A Commander will just stop a bit short of the end of a holster designed to protect the muzzle of a full size model. Works fine - in fact I am wearing such a combination now :)

Any holster made specifically and exclusively for a Commander size could have problems with a full size 1911, depending on how it was constructed. A closed holster bottom would prevent full insertion of a 5" 1911; an open bottom would cause the muzzle to protrude, unprotected.

My recommendation: buy the full size model and be able to carrry either gun. ymmv

Thanks for the input! I know the differences between 1911 sizes as this is my third 1911 (also an amateur gunsmith for 1911s!). I was just curious as to whether or not Safariland markets their Kimber 4" holsters as such but ships a full size holster (compatible). I wanted a holster that fits to the specific firearm so there isn't any extra space towards the muzzle (I've heard of people getting the 5" version and then sawing the remaining portion of plastic to get it to fit flush.) There really isn't any definitive information online whether or not SL makes commander length holsters now. A few websites have em posted as 4" holsters, but SLs site doesn't have it. Based on Jeepers post and the differences in model number, I think it's safe to assume that SL now manufactures 4" holsters but hasn't updated their website. Thanks again!

For what its worth. A bunch of my holsters are made for 5" 1911s but I use em for commanders, IE Galco SSS.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped-- Based on Jeepers post and the differences in model number, I think it's safe to assume that SL now manufactures 4" holsters but hasn't updated their website. Thanks again!
Please don't assume - call or email them direct.

Kamihoshi

Update

Safariland2.jpg

Got the Holster in! There's a little play when the firearm is holstered. Gonna take a hairdryer to it and see if I can mold the plastic

alexm963

If its anything like my 6378 its good you got the 4" specific model. The ALS system on mine uses the front site post to lock it in and that would not have worked with a 4" in a 5" holster. It's really a great holster. I have not found another one that I trust as much and is sleek enough to carry CC or OC. They just need to make one for my new FNX 45 so I can carry that some more.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If its anything like my 6378 its good you got the 4" specific model. The ALS system on mine uses the front site post to lock it in and that would not have worked with a 4" in a 5" holster. It's really a great holster. I have not found another one that I trust as much and is sleek enough to carry CC or OC. They just need to make one for my new FNX 45 so I can carry that some more.
Uses the front sight post for retention? Wow, me thinks I would not like that.

Would seem that the rear most point of the front sight must be the retention point. I would worry about damage to a night sight vial, white dot filling with debris or similar. My gold dot insert in one of my front sights actually projects out like a button/dome beyond the rear of the sight. Would not that catch all of the wear?

Slade McCuiston

Uses the front sight post for retention? Wow, me thinks I would not like that.

Would seem that the rear most point of the front sight must be the retention point. I would worry about damage to a night sight vial, white dot filling with debris or similar. My gold dot insert in one of my front sights actually projects out like a button/dome beyond the rear of the sight. Would not that catch all of the wear?

The ALS system on my Safariland 6360 uses the ejection port for retention. I was under the impression from Safariland that the ALS system ONLY uses the ejection port for retention. I see no way that, at least in my holster, the front sight post is used to aid retention in any way.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The ALS system on my Safariland 6360 uses the ejection port for retention. I was under the impression from Safariland that the ALS system ONLY uses the ejection port for retention. I see no way that, at least in my holster, the front sight post is used to aid retention in any way.
My comment was based on the reply from post #9 wherein that claim was made. I don't own one of those and did not research it.

Slade McCuiston

My comment was based on the reply from post #9 wherein that claim was made. I don't own one of those and did not research it.

My apologies, Grapeshot. I meant to select post #9 and your post (because I agreed). I obviously haven't figured all the controls out yet.

Some hardware stores and even some Walmarts carry heat guns. That'll likely work a little better than a hairdryer. Just the $0.02 of someone who JUST started working with Kydex.

Silvertongue, I don't work with Kydex, but have heard quite a few people say they use a hair dryer because a heat gun will 'melt' the Kydex too much.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

My apologies, Grapeshot. I meant to select post #9 and your post (because I agreed). I obviously haven't figured all the controls out yet.
--snipped--
Use/click the " " (quote) icon at lower right of each post in the order in which you wish them to show, then add your reply = Bingo, just like above. :)