Thread: Facebook - Is it "safe"?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Facebook - Is it "safe"?

Information about you and your personal data may be released per requests from foreign and domestic governments - some 38,000 have already been given out in the first half of this year.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/na...9bb30f31a.html
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-27-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Facebook - Is it "safe"? No.

Facebook - Is it "safe"? DIASPORA* development started in 2010 in recognition of the need for users control of "privacy".
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

No

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Information about you and your personal data may be released per requests from foreign and domestic governments - some 38,000 have already been given out in the first half of this year.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/na...9bb30f31a.html
    Hey hey now. Your information is as safe at facebook as it is with the IRS....completely....hey, what happened to my checking account....goshdsgfsfde!!!IRS

It is common knowledge Facebook is stalked by every Gov agency there is. The FBI and DHS bragged about social media monitoring programs on their own web sites.

Nothing is safe.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

NO!

No. Assume every scumbag person that works for the government is looking at your data and is going to break into your house and rape and then kill your dog.

On the plus side your probably not dong anything illegal and your really not that interesting.

It's just infuriating that these people are so willing to shred the US Constitution and the Bill of rights, if anyone in my familty was involded in this I would daily spit on them.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Banned
    It's safe for me. I don't do the beast.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Nothing is safe.
    Nothing is safe.

I would delete my facebook, but my wife would be upset. You may be asking, "what's more important?" I counter with, "what's more dangerous?" The NSA reading a couple of your liberty minded status updates, or living with a woman scorned?
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 08-27-2013 at 11:32 PM.

It's as safe as this forum. That means: not so safe.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    It's as safe as this forum. That means: not so safe.
    This forum is publicly read w/o registering, but registered user's private information is kept in confidence and zealously guarded.

Facebook is not publicly read, is allegedly private if you so select by invitation/approval only - except that it is really not so well guarded/protected when they give the information away w/o warrant.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

This forum is publicly read w/o registering, but registered user's private information is kept in confidence and zealously guarded.

Facebook is not publicly read, is allegedly private if you so select by invitation/approval only - except that it is really not so well guarded/protected when they give the information away w/o warrant.
    What information? how can the Face Book know if you're lying or not?
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    What information? how can the Face Book know if you're lying or not?
    Between your email address(es) and your IP + you may also have given out a phone number, picture of your vehicle that shows the license plate, but was supposed to be restricted to private/trusted friends only (like our PMs) - there are lots of ways for them to be able to walk right to your front door......and that is no lie.

Meaning that the government agents will actually have to take 3 minutes to get a warrant and then you'll hand over everything..... Unless you're willing to pull a Susan McDougal I wouldn't consider anything posted here to be "zealously guarded"

The true rule is I try not to say anything online I wouldn't want posted on the front page of the Kitsap Sun quoted to me....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    --snip--

The true rule is I try not to say anything online I wouldn't want posted on the front page of the Kitsap Sun quoted to me....
    The Kitsap Sun would make for some interesting reading from time to time where that the case

The private information security of LavaBit and Silent Circle was zealously guarded.

I maintain no expectation of privacy on Facebook. If I post anything, it's something I don't mind anyone and everyone reading and associating to me. Regardless of the privacy statements made by Facebook, your discretion in posts is the only true privacy safeguard that's 100% secure.
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

That said, the world is much more "accepting" in "what is considered acceptable" in sharing. Individuals are much more tenacious in airing political beliefs, etc. than prior social media.
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

It may have taken the F.B.I. 3 weeks to reach the Bengazi "diplomatic station" - but it won't take them long to send you an invitation for " interview " at your local police station - if your fingers happen to "land" upon certain sequences of keys on Face Book.

I wouldn't inscribe anything on Face Book that I wouldn't place on a billboard .

One Key to Rule Them All: Threats Against Facebook, Wikimedia Private Encryption Keys

August 29, 2013 | By Cindy Cohn and Dan Auerbach
    One Key to Rule Them All: Threats Against Service Provider Private Encryption Keys

EFF has worked hard to convince organizations like Facebook and Wikimedia to join the ranks of many other large and small websites including Twitter, Gmail, and EFF in supporting HTTPS by default, and we're happy to see steady progress from major service providers on this front.

While increased deployment of HTTPS is a huge step forward in securing the web and protecting user communications, it is not a silver bullet. There are many types of attacks on HTTPS that we need to be vigilant about, but here we want to focus on one in particular -- how safe are the private encryption keys of service providers?

In order to understand why this question is so important, it is worth taking stock of a remarkable and scary fact about how HTTPS works: for any given website, the same key is used to protect all user communications on that website.

It is important to take a moment to fully absorb this, so let's walk through the example of Facebook. Every single one of the billions of transactions that occur on the social network every day are encrypted based on information derived from the same private key held by Facebook. This means that knowledge of the mere 2048 bits of data that comprise this key1 – small enough to be scribbled on a single piece of paper and mistaken for a 2nd grader's math homework – is all that stands between a powerful attacker and full, unfettered access to the plaintext communications of over a billion users of the popular social network: every private message, every chat, everything.

............ Let's walk through them.

Law Enforcement and Intelligence Agency Access

Theft

Weak keys, and breakthroughs in cryptanalysis

What can be done to protect private keys?

Conclusion

The private SSL keys underlying HTTPS connections can unlock a huge amount of information. As we fight to increase HTTPS adoption and to improve the security of HTTPS, we must also ensure that private keys remain out of the hands of eager governments and criminals.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/0...ncryption-keys

https://www.eff.org/copyright
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-30-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: FAIR USE QUOTE

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    It's safe for me. I don't do the beast.
    Same here.

Why would you willingly give out your name, photo, list of associations, personal info etc? It is a treasure trove, not just for .gov or scumbags but for everyone else.

Sure, privacy is by and large gone, but why add to it?

Facebook can use your photo in ads under new policy. MJS - Murkee Urinal Guardian

Facebook is proposing new changes to its policies that will allow Facebook to use your name, profile photo and content in ads without compensation. The proposed update is set to go into effect in about a week, in September. [... ] "We revised our explanation of how things like your name, profile picture and content may be used in connection with ads or commercial content to make it clear that you are granting Facebook permission for this use when you use our services," Facebook's chief privacy officer Erin Egan wrote in an announcement of the proposed changes Thursday.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/2...rt=newestfirst

Your personal information has always been the de facto "cost" of "free services", online and offline.

Go sign up for a "free giveaway" (offline, at a store or restaurant or something) and see if you don't get an increase in junk mail.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 08-30-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Banned

Facebook - Is it "safe"?

I haven't gotten one single piece of junk mail since I moved. I got junk mail from day 1 at my Fairborn apartment.

I actually looked forward weekly to my Red Plum mailing. I used the hell outta those coupons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I haven't gotten one single piece of junk mail since I moved. I got junk mail from day 1 at my Fairborn apartment.

I actually looked forward weekly to my Red Plum mailing. I used the hell outta those coupons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>
    Hehe, I had basically the opposite experience. Ever since I moved, I now get LOADS of coupons and junk in the mail, but it's addressed to resident and not me specifically, so it must just be where I live/due to the previous residents signing up for crap. I do use the coupons sometimes, though.