• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Facebook - Is it "safe"?

davidmcbeth

Banned

HandyHamlet

It is common knowledge Facebook is stalked by every Gov agency there is. The FBI and DHS bragged about social media monitoring programs on their own web sites.

Nothing is safe.

Phoenix David

No. Assume every scumbag person that works for the government is looking at your data and is going to break into your house and rape and then kill your dog.

On the plus side your probably not dong anything illegal and your really not that interesting.

It's just infuriating that these people are so willing to shred the US Constitution and the Bill of rights, if anyone in my familty was involded in this I would daily spit on them.

stealthyeliminator

Nothing is safe.

Nothing is safe.

I would delete my facebook, but my wife would be upset. You may be asking, "what's more important?" I counter with, "what's more dangerous?" The NSA reading a couple of your liberty minded status updates, or living with a woman scorned?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's as safe as this forum. That means: not so safe.

This forum is publicly read w/o registering, but registered user's private information is kept in confidence and zealously guarded.

Facebook is not publicly read, is allegedly private if you so select by invitation/approval only - except that it is really not so well guarded/protected when they give the information away w/o warrant.

Freedom1Man

This forum is publicly read w/o registering, but registered user's private information is kept in confidence and zealously guarded.

Facebook is not publicly read, is allegedly private if you so select by invitation/approval only - except that it is really not so well guarded/protected when they give the information away w/o warrant.

What information? how can the Face Book know if you're lying or not?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What information? how can the Face Book know if you're lying or not?

Between your email address(es) and your IP + you may also have given out a phone number, picture of your vehicle that shows the license plate, but was supposed to be restricted to private/trusted friends only (like our PMs) - there are lots of ways for them to be able to walk right to your front door......and that is no lie.

EMNofSeattle

Meaning that the government agents will actually have to take 3 minutes to get a warrant and then you'll hand over everything..... Unless you're willing to pull a Susan McDougal I wouldn't consider anything posted here to be "zealously guarded"

The true rule is I try not to say anything online I wouldn't want posted on the front page of the Kitsap Sun quoted to me....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

The true rule is I try not to say anything online I wouldn't want posted on the front page of the Kitsap Sun quoted to me....

The Kitsap Sun would make for some interesting reading from time to time where that the case :lol:

cirrusly

I maintain no expectation of privacy on Facebook. If I post anything, it's something I don't mind anyone and everyone reading and associating to me. Regardless of the privacy statements made by Facebook, your discretion in posts is the only true privacy safeguard that's 100% secure.

cirrusly

That said, the world is much more "accepting" in "what is considered acceptable" in sharing. Individuals are much more tenacious in airing political beliefs, etc. than prior social media.

rushcreek2

It may have taken the F.B.I. 3 weeks to reach the Bengazi "diplomatic station" - but it won't take them long to send you an invitation for " interview " at your local police station - if your fingers happen to "land" upon certain sequences of keys on Face Book.

I wouldn't inscribe anything on Face Book that I wouldn't place on a billboard .

Black_water

It's safe for me. I don't do the beast.

Same here.

Why would you willingly give out your name, photo, list of associations, personal info etc? It is a treasure trove, not just for .gov or scumbags but for everyone else.

Sure, privacy is by and large gone, but why add to it?

stealthyeliminator

Your personal information has always been the de facto "cost" of "free services", online and offline.

Go sign up for a "free giveaway" (offline, at a store or restaurant or something) and see if you don't get an increase in junk mail.

Last edited:

eye95

I haven't gotten one single piece of junk mail since I moved. I got junk mail from day 1 at my Fairborn apartment.

I actually looked forward weekly to my Red Plum mailing. I used the hell outta those coupons. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>