Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: New member from Florissant

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States/Missouri/Florissant
    Posts
    1

    New member from Florissant

    Hello everyone!
    Found this website from a random Youtube video that was recommended for me. Video was in Kansas City Missouri at a Steak and shake. Video had a link to opencarry.com and from there the next 2 hours was spent going though the forum and looking up the laws of the land for the area around me.

    I CC everywhere im legally allowed and have had 0 issues with law enforcement. Have had a few run ins where they can tell im packing (buldge in my shirt) but everyone has been nice and never got any attitude.
    Ive been stopped by Hazelwood PD at the mills mall when I failed to properly cover my gun with my shirt after taking my wallet out to buy subway in the food court.. made it about 50ft before 2 HPD officers spotted me on their segways, they asked if I had a ccw but did not ask to see it and they were more interested in what kind of gun I had then anything else. Been in police contact 100's of times around the entire City/County area (I Repossessed cars for 7 years so I have had the cops called on me quite a bit) never had any issues with my CCW so my take on the police is a positive one.

    I was surprised to learn that OC is allowed in Missouri, I was shocked that my town does not have an exact ordinance against it, its kinda fuzzy on if its allowed or not. Im not sure if Im gonna go around rocking my Glock just yet. I have a few ties to the local PD and im gonna check with them to see what the stance is on it. Last thing I wanna do is get a ticket or booked in jail on a technicality. Not sure how I feel yet on if I even want to open carry but knowing that its a possibility is very nice.

    Has/does anyone here live in Florissant and had contact by the local LEO's? What was the outcome?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteTrash View Post
    Hello everyone!
    Found this website from a random Youtube video that was recommended for me. Video was in Kansas City Missouri at a Steak and shake. Video had a link to opencarry.com and from there the next 2 hours was spent going though the forum and looking up the laws of the land for the area around me.

    I CC everywhere im legally allowed and have had 0 issues with law enforcement. Have had a few run ins where they can tell im packing (buldge in my shirt) but everyone has been nice and never got any attitude.
    Ive been stopped by Hazelwood PD at the mills mall when I failed to properly cover my gun with my shirt after taking my wallet out to buy subway in the food court.. made it about 50ft before 2 HPD officers spotted me on their segways, they asked if I had a ccw but did not ask to see it and they were more interested in what kind of gun I had then anything else. Been in police contact 100's of times around the entire City/County area (I Repossessed cars for 7 years so I have had the cops called on me quite a bit) never had any issues with my CCW so my take on the police is a positive one.

    I was surprised to learn that OC is allowed in Missouri, I was shocked that my town does not have an exact ordinance against it, its kinda fuzzy on if its allowed or not. Im not sure if Im gonna go around rocking my Glock just yet. I have a few ties to the local PD and im gonna check with them to see what the stance is on it. Last thing I wanna do is get a ticket or booked in jail on a technicality. Not sure how I feel yet on if I even want to open carry but knowing that its a possibility is very nice.

    Has/does anyone here live in Florissant and had contact by the local LEO's? What was the outcome?
    First, welcome! It's always nice to get a new member, even if you're still on the fence about it yourself.

    I will recommend, at least over the next 2 months, not to OC. With the current situation in MO, it's not worth the risk of ANY kind of incident. So at this point, CC is preferred. Hopefully that'll change down the road, but that's how it is at the moment.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Centralia, MO
    Posts
    144
    Telling someone not to OC is a bit odd, at least to me if it. Why should they not OC, things have always been wonky in Missouri. Not trying to start an argument or anything, so please donít assume that I am. However, by telling someone not to OC you are doing exactly what everyone else is doing out there.

    If what you are, doing is legal, then do it. Even in a pro OC world, you will have people who are unnerved by firearms and would tell you not to carry.
    As for the new feller, welcome to the forum and I hope you can find any info you need. From my time here, I have found these people to be a decent bunch.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    1,012

    Re: New member from Florissant

    There are very good reasons to keep things low key for the next 2-3 weeks. If you do not know why, spend more time reading the Missouri forum.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Florissant, MO
    Posts
    130

    Re: New member from Florissant

    Welcome to the forum. I also live in Florissant and haven't had any issues. As was stated before, now is a good time to lay low for the next few weeks due to the potential veto override coming up in September. I have been primarily CCing in public for a while now, but will OC much more in the near future, regardless of the outcome in Jefferson City. If possible, you should go to JC for the rally on September 11th or the OC lunch on the 14th...or go to both.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Centralia, MO
    Posts
    144
    I have been reading and understand what is coming up, but it still seems odd to me. Are we trying to show them that we will back off and not do what is our right?

  7. #7
    Regular Member mspgunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ellisville, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,966
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om5hipp View Post
    I have been reading and understand what is coming up, but it still seems odd to me. Are we trying to show them that we will back off and not do what is our right?
    What we absolutely do not need is some one doing anything that will draw negative attention to open carry.
    For those that are new you do not know what happened more than once in the past few years when we were close to OC laws being chnaged for the good and a "news story" changed
    everything in a flash. Calls from jefferson City "Mr. MSPGUNNER I saw the news broadcast tonight, your OC bill is dead!".
    Sept 11th is th eveto session where this effort may well yeild the first positive change in OC laws ever in Missouri.

    This is no time for anyone to do something to generate a negative press report...
    After Sept. 11th we wil lhave State wide OC with a CCW. Those that presently OC where no CCW is required wil have no change in their lives at all except you cannot be disarmed by an officer simply for having a firearm and not being a subject of reasonable suspicion.

    New people.. look for meet-ups! There will no doubt be many after we win this in Jefferson City.

    Meet-ups are the best way to learn the ropes on OC. There are do's and don'ts. There are laws that protect you, learn and enjoy this freedom.
    Please wait till Sept. 11th is you are very new, the OC people of Misossouri welcome you!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Ozark, Mo
    Posts
    219
    I will continue to open carry from now and after the veto is overridden. I made a commitment to myself, my family and to those that have protected my 2nd Amendment right for over 230 years. I fully understand the sacrifices people have made to get HB436 to where it is today, but I understand even more the sacrifices others have made for me to strap on my Kimber 1911 in the morning and go to breakfast. I refuse to disarm because a few are walking on pins and needles. I have met one of these men personally and share his passion for the passage of this bill, but I refuse to disarm.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Florissant, MO
    Posts
    130

    Re: New member from Florissant

    No one has asked you to disarm.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  10. #10
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om5hipp View Post
    Telling someone not to OC is a bit odd, at least to me if it. Why should they not OC, things have always been wonky in Missouri. Not trying to start an argument or anything, so please donít assume that I am. However, by telling someone not to OC you are doing exactly what everyone else is doing out there.

    If what you are, doing is legal, then do it. Even in a pro OC world, you will have people who are unnerved by firearms and would tell you not to carry.
    As for the new feller, welcome to the forum and I hope you can find any info you need. From my time here, I have found these people to be a decent bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    There are very good reasons to keep things low key for the next 2-3 weeks. If you do not know why, spend more time reading the Missouri forum.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    7om5hipp, thanks for reading up in the MO forum. The bottom line right now is politics. Negative press is not helpful before the potential override session.

    Quote Originally Posted by logunowner View Post
    I will continue to open carry from now and after the veto is overridden. I made a commitment to myself, my family and to those that have protected my 2nd Amendment right for over 230 years. I fully understand the sacrifices people have made to get HB436 to where it is today, but I understand even more the sacrifices others have made for me to strap on my Kimber 1911 in the morning and go to breakfast. I refuse to disarm because a few are walking on pins and needles. I have met one of these men personally and share his passion for the passage of this bill, but I refuse to disarm.
    You are not being asked to disarm. However, you are being asked to be smart/cautious about open carrying. Headlines are not good at this time. I understand your passion and beliefs for carrying....no one is taking that away. However, on the other hand, would you like to be known as the person who helped create the incident that prevented the override of the bill? Instead of advancing OC in the state, one could set it back another year with an incident.

    Please remember the bigger picture here in getting a preemptive bill on OC for the entire state. Everyone is being asked to be smart/cautious when OCing, that's all. After the veto session is over and assuming the bill gets passage; the politics will subside and make the atmosphere more palatable.

    I appreciate your understanding.

    Thx!
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Ozark, Mo
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    7om5hipp, thanks for reading up in the MO forum. The bottom line right now is politics. Negative press is not helpful before the potential override session.



    You are not being asked to disarm. However, you are being asked to be smart/cautious about open carrying. Headlines are not good at this time. I understand your passion and beliefs for carrying....no one is taking that away. However, on the other hand, would you like to be known as the person who helped create the incident that prevented the override of the bill? Instead of advancing OC in the state, one could set it back another year with an incident.

    Please remember the bigger picture here in getting a preemptive bill on OC for the entire state. Everyone is being asked to be smart/cautious when OCing, that's all. After the veto session is over and assuming the bill gets passage; the politics will subside and make the atmosphere more palatable.

    I appreciate your understanding.

    Thx!
    I understand completely. I did not mean to indicated I was going out to cause a problem. Our individual efforts should be the education of the masses to open carry and our collective effort to override the veto of HB 436.

  12. #12
    Regular Member mspgunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ellisville, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,966
    Quote Originally Posted by logunowner View Post
    I understand completely. I did not mean to indicated I was going out to cause a problem. Our individual efforts should be the education of the masses to open carry and our collective effort to override the veto of HB 436.
    We ahve educated the public and law enforcement for a while. That has for the most part been good. When we succeed in the veto over ride of HB436 there wil no doubt be more OCers and the education process will expand,
    we should be getting ready for that, for now we prepare to educate and do our home work.
    Let us hold off on beginning class until Sept. 11th while we prepare for school.

    I would imagine there will be a lot of meet ups as we celebrate the OC vistory so close to being in our grasp.
    The new folks... attend these, there is still a lot ot learn.

    Thanks for being patient. It has been a difficult time. We win this!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

  13. #13
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by logunowner View Post
    I understand completely. I did not mean to indicated I was going out to cause a problem. Our individual efforts should be the education of the masses to open carry and our collective effort to override the veto of HB 436.
    Fantastic!!
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    640
    I also live in Florrisant. They restrict the open carry of firearms but then exempt CCW holders from their city ordinance. so you you can OC in florrisant if you have a ccw from missouri or another state that missouri has reciprocity with

    read their city ordinance. im at work so i cant tell you the ordinance number
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •