Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washoe County Sheriff's, Open Carrier Detained at Gunpoint Again

Washoe County Sheriff's, Open Carrier Detained at Gunpoint Again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU2RV0NgnZc

Nevada(fixed) LEOs acting like TX LEOs
    Last edited by Tacitus42; 08-27-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

:edited:

Looks like the WCSO is going to cost the taxpayers more money.
    Last edited by b0neZ; 08-27-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Re: Washoe County Sheriff's, Open Carrier Detained at Gunpoint Again

Revised per OP edit...... This doesn't mean some LEA's in AZ wouldn't do the same thing though. I think the 1st LEO on scene (chubby), went overboard. He starts screaming for back-up & gets it. The result - no arrest, fine, ect... but rest assured someone is getting sued. Had the officer simply called for another unit and waited - PRIOR to the "office needs assistance with MWAG / subject @ gunpoint! HELP, HELP!" Call things would have went much better for all involved. No need for drawn guns, 6 unit code 3 response etc...Once backup was there, they could have simply asked some questions, determined that this was OC and moved on. Win-win. As younger OCers start to carry we will see this more & more from LE. Until 18-20+ year olds are allowed to buy pistols from FFL's they will carry what the are allowed by law - long guns.

They - Sheriff's dept. will settle this for a few thousand dollars, and no doubt repeat the same mistakes over & over again. Why not? Not their money they are losing, it's ours...

Edited for clarity.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 08-27-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Don't know why I wrote AZ I knew it was Nevada, that's why I posted in the Nevada thread.
    Ocing while black.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus42 View Post
    Don't know why I wrote AZ I knew it was Nevada, that's why I posted in the Nevada thread.
    Ocing while black.
    No biggie - we have a few ANTI-OC cops in AZ too I am told. Luckily, so far I have yet to meet one.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 08-27-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

So this guy just got arrested in Sparks for the same thing and now being held at gunpoint by WCSD. Next up, RPD. Looks like this guy is gonna get a fat payday from the everybody.

I thought this forum was for the "promotion" of open carrying of a HANDGUN, not long guns!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

Quote Originally Posted by DooFster View Post
    I thought this forum was for the "promotion" of open carrying of a HANDGUN, not long guns!

And here I am thinking that "opencarry.org" is about promoting, advocating and exercising the "right to keep and bear arms". I didn't know that it is only about open carrying a handgun. So this group is not okay with anyone openly carrying a rifle? Any reason why not? Can you shed some light on this? Maybe they should change the name to "opencarryhandgunsonly.org"
    Last edited by Bernymac; 08-28-2013 at 10:34 AM.

No disrespect, but please refer to the forum rules:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1377701013203.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	10752  
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

Quote Originally Posted by DooFster View Post
    No disrespect, but please refer to the forum rules:

How is that disrespectful? I asked you to enlighten me and you did. Thanks.

And with that, this thread should be removed.
    Last edited by Bernymac; 08-28-2013 at 10:49 AM.

[QUOTE=Bernymac;1977885]How is that disrespectful? I asked you to enlighten me and you did. Thanks.

And with that, this thread should be removed.[/e

I was Ocing when I started this thread. Sorry Doofus. Quick report me.

[QUOTE=Tacitus42;1977893]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernymac View Post
    How is that disrespectful? I asked you to enlighten me and you did. Thanks.

And with that, this thread should be removed.[/e

I was Ocing when I started this thread. Sorry Doofus. Quick report me.
    Am I the only one that find that loaf of bear scat ridiculous? The Google result regarding this website is misleading...."State specific information on aspects related to the legality of the open carry of firearms. Maps, news and forums by state." But then again it is all about revenue from the ads and traffic. It should really read "open carry of handguns only...because although long guns are cool we find discussing it causes too much controversy and let's face it we dont' want controversy, but hand guns are less controversial and we are okay with that. Carry your long guns all you want, we just don't want to discuss it nor promote it unless your state only allows the open carry of long guns then we are okay with that. "

Their site, their rules I guess. I keep forgetting Forums are a private entity and not a Constitutional Republic

Well the rule does state "promote long gun carry" this thread is not about promoting, but more about the reaction and over reach of LEO. That in turn could effect pistol carry reactions as well.

Shouldn't the website be opencarryapistolonly.org

Just saying....

Cool

I just shot an email to the Sheriff telling him of my displeasure with his officer.

In the past the owners of this site John & Mike have allowed threads involving younger OCers, who may have no other choice but to carry a long gun. See the city of Birmingham MI vs Sean Combs (not the rapper) a 18 year old who was charged for OCing a long arm (legal in MI). A jury aquitted him on all charges last summer.

Don't know this young mans age, but he looks pretty young to me?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...open-carry-M-1

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2...irmingham?lite

Police interaction not directly related to OC of handguns has generally been allowed in the General Discussion forum. Rather than closing this thread, a moderator might want to move it.

A point of constructive criticism...

In reviewing the video obtained by the prospective plaintiff, I would say he needs to invest in a wearable camera to maintain hands-free recording. And to always run a digital recorder w/mic as a back up.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    No biggie - we have a few ANTI-OC cops in AZ too I am told. Luckily, so far I have yet to meet one.
    I know a few cops who are anti-gun, too. I respect their POV as long as they don't let their POV affect their police tactics. The vast majority of my coworkers that I have discussed the issue with support shall issue CPL's and or in some cases , even CPL w/o a permit

Fewer support OCing, sadly, but to my knowledge no officer in my agency has harassed an OCer or acted inappropriately when contacting an OCer because of their beliefs, so I can respect their different POV.

A cop can be anti-abortion, but if he is assigned to a protest at an abortion clinic, he better not take sides, and better not treat the protesters with special attention because of his beliefs, to give another example

There was a case in england where a muslim cop was assigned to a detail guarding the israeli (embassy or consulate or something like that) and said his religious beliefs conflicted with that assignement, so they reassigned him. That's WRONG imo

An AZ cop who treats a OCer in any way less professional / kind etc. than he does a non OCer is lacking professionalism. Considering the frequency one sees OCers in AZ, I can imagine a anti-gun cop might consider working somewhere other than AZ because they are there to stay (thank god)

I know a couple of cops and they always claim "it alarms the public." I believe that a sizable number of cops, maybe even a majority of cops, hold the same opinion. I have very little respect for these cops. They do not hassle OCers because they "fear" the consequences of hassling a citizen unlawfully. Make no mistake, if they could ban OC today, they would.

Their motivation for not hassling OCers does not mitigate their anti-citizen and anti-liberty opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I know a couple of cops and they always claim "it alarms the public." I believe that a sizable number of cops, maybe even a majority of cops, hold the same opinion. I have very little respect for these cops. They do not hassle OCers because they "fear" the consequences of hassling a citizen unlawfully. Make no mistake, if they could ban OC today, they would.

Their motivation for not hassling OCers does not mitigate their anti-citizen and anti-liberty opinion.
    I agree with you.

People in the public could be "alarmed" about a lot of things. It isn't my job to make sure everyone I might pass is comfortable that is a personal issue. If seeing an LAC going about his day then my recommedation is "DON"T LEAVE THE HOUSE".

1. Big Dogs
    2. Red Shirts
    3. SUV's
    4. Ignorent Cops
    5. ect......

Good lord.

I sent the young man the name and phone number of an attorney who recently successfully sued the Washoe sheriff's dept. for their warrantless seizure of man who was not suspected of a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    Good lord.

I sent the young man the name and phone number of an attorney who recently successfully sued the Washoe sheriff's dept. for their warrantless seizure of man who was not suspected of a crime.
    +1! Well done Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus42
    it is all about revenue from the ads and traffic.
    Their site, their rules I guess. I keep forgetting Forums are a private entity and not a Constitutional Republic
    No, it is about staying focussed on one topic.
    And yes, their rules apply because it's their property.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker
    Shouldn't the website be opencarryapistolonly.org
    You're welcome to buy, register, run, maintain, etc. such a site, or one dedicated to carrying rifles as self-defense tools.
    But being here means following the house rules, which means that for the most part long gun carry is off-topic.
    See rule #14, which includes explanations of why the rule exists.

Quote Originally Posted by PALO
    There was a case in england where a muslim cop was assigned to a detail guarding the israeli (embassy or consulate or something like that) and said his religious beliefs conflicted with that assignment, so they reassigned him. That's WRONG imo
    I agree. He should have been reassigned to parking meters.
    I'm sure there are SS agents of a different political persuasion than the president they are required to protect, yet they do their job.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME
    I know a couple of cops and they always claim "it alarms the public."
    Bovine feces.
    I have a collection of videos on YouTube of me OCing various places about town, including a bank, grocery, home improvement store, fast food... most people don't notice, and the ones who do are at least unworried. One guy even smiled at me.
    I was OC all day today (except when I went into the post office) and got not one comment, nobody screamed & ran, fainted, etc. AFAIK there weren't even any funny looks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post

You're welcome to buy, register, run, maintain, etc. such a site, or one dedicated to carrying rifles as self-defense tools.
    But being here means following the house rules, which means that for the most part long gun carry is off-topic.
    See rule #14, which includes explanations of why the rule exists.
    I was being sarcastic.......

One does wonder why the site name is opencarry.org if it doesn't support open carry in all forms?

A couple issues that could result.

1. Only people 21 years and old can use this site if you are in a state that prohiibits 18-21 year olds from buying a pistol. You can only buy a rifle so go away if you are in this catagory!

2. By only supporting one particular form of self defense are we ok with the goverment resticting long carry weapons? I mean if we are against open carry of long guns saying it isn't safe, wise, and is scary; why wouldn't the goverment quote us in disarming Americans from having (i.e. Carrying) long guns?

I'm just playing devils advocate here, I really don't think there is a good answer if we narrow the field to just pistols. Maybe we should narrow it even more to say NO GLAWKS or only 40 Cal's for self defense. Why is the line drawn were it is? Did someone just pick it out of he air and is now married to it and has to defend it by putting people down or suggesting they bugger-off if they question or disagree with the status quo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast