• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washoe County Sheriff's, Open Carrier Detained at Gunpoint Again

FreeInAZ

Revised per OP edit...... This doesn't mean some LEA's in AZ wouldn't do the same thing though. I think the 1st LEO on scene (chubby), went overboard. He starts screaming for back-up & gets it. The result - no arrest, fine, ect... but rest assured someone is getting sued. Had the officer simply called for another unit and waited - PRIOR to the "office needs assistance with MWAG / subject @ gunpoint! HELP, HELP!" Call things would have went much better for all involved. No need for drawn guns, 6 unit code 3 response etc...Once backup was there, they could have simply asked some questions, determined that this was OC and moved on. Win-win. As younger OCers start to carry we will see this more & more from LE. Until 18-20+ year olds are allowed to buy pistols from FFL's they will carry what the are allowed by law - long guns.

They - Sheriff's dept. will settle this for a few thousand dollars, and no doubt repeat the same mistakes over & over again. Why not? Not their money they are losing, it's ours... :(

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Tacitus42

Don't know why I wrote AZ I knew it was Nevada, that's why I posted in the Nevada thread.:banghead:
Ocing while black.

FreeInAZ

Don't know why I wrote AZ I knew it was Nevada, that's why I posted in the Nevada thread.:banghead:
Ocing while black.

No biggie - we have a few ANTI-OC cops in AZ too I am told. ;) Luckily, so far I have yet to meet one. :D

Last edited:

renoglock22

So this guy just got arrested in Sparks for the same thing and now being held at gunpoint by WCSD. Next up, RPD. Looks like this guy is gonna get a fat payday from the everybody.

DooFster

I thought this forum was for the "promotion" of open carrying of a HANDGUN, not long guns!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Bernymac

I thought this forum was for the "promotion" of open carrying of a HANDGUN, not long guns!

And here I am thinking that "opencarry.org" is about promoting, advocating and exercising the "right to keep and bear arms". I didn't know that it is only about open carrying a handgun. So this group is not okay with anyone openly carrying a rifle? Any reason why not? Can you shed some light on this? Maybe they should change the name to "opencarryhandgunsonly.org"

Last edited:

DooFster

No disrespect, but please refer to the forum rules:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377701013203.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377701013203.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 189

Bernymac

No disrespect, but please refer to the forum rules:

How is that disrespectful? I asked you to enlighten me and you did. Thanks.

And with that, this thread should be removed.

Last edited:

Bernymac

How is that disrespectful? I asked you to enlighten me and you did. Thanks.

And with that, this thread should be removed.[/e

I was Ocing when I started this thread. Sorry Doofus. Quick report me.

Am I the only one that find that loaf of bear scat ridiculous? The Google result regarding this website is misleading...."State specific information on aspects related to the legality of the open carry of firearms. Maps, news and forums by state." But then again it is all about revenue from the ads and traffic. :eek: It should really read "open carry of handguns only...because although long guns are cool we find discussing it causes too much controversy and let's face it we dont' want controversy, but hand guns are less controversial and we are okay with that. Carry your long guns all you want, we just don't want to discuss it nor promote it unless your state only allows the open carry of long guns then we are okay with that. "

Their site, their rules I guess. I keep forgetting Forums are a private entity and not a Constitutional Republic :banghead:

Vegassteve

Well the rule does state "promote long gun carry" this thread is not about promoting, but more about the reaction and over reach of LEO. That in turn could effect pistol carry reactions as well.

FreeInAZ

In the past the owners of this site John & Mike have allowed threads involving younger OCers, who may have no other choice but to carry a long gun. See the city of Birmingham MI vs Sean Combs (not the rapper) a 18 year old who was charged for OCing a long arm (legal in MI). A jury aquitted him on all charges last summer.

Don't know this young mans age, but he looks pretty young to me?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?104016-Michigan-18yr-arrested-for-open-carry-M-1

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/...enthusiasts-protest-arrest-in-birmingham?lite

KBCraig

Police interaction not directly related to OC of handguns has generally been allowed in the General Discussion forum. Rather than closing this thread, a moderator might want to move it.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
A point of constructive criticism...

In reviewing the video obtained by the prospective plaintiff, I would say he needs to invest in a wearable camera to maintain hands-free recording. And to always run a digital recorder w/mic as a back up.

PALO

No biggie - we have a few ANTI-OC cops in AZ too I am told. ;) Luckily, so far I have yet to meet one. :D

I know a few cops who are anti-gun, too. I respect their POV as long as they don't let their POV affect their police tactics. The vast majority of my coworkers that I have discussed the issue with support shall issue CPL's and or in some cases , even CPL w/o a permit

Fewer support OCing, sadly, but to my knowledge no officer in my agency has harassed an OCer or acted inappropriately when contacting an OCer because of their beliefs, so I can respect their different POV.

A cop can be anti-abortion, but if he is assigned to a protest at an abortion clinic, he better not take sides, and better not treat the protesters with special attention because of his beliefs, to give another example

There was a case in england where a muslim cop was assigned to a detail guarding the israeli (embassy or consulate or something like that) and said his religious beliefs conflicted with that assignement, so they reassigned him. That's WRONG imo

An AZ cop who treats a OCer in any way less professional / kind etc. than he does a non OCer is lacking professionalism. Considering the frequency one sees OCers in AZ, I can imagine a anti-gun cop might consider working somewhere other than AZ because they are there to stay (thank god)

OC for ME

I know a couple of cops and they always claim "it alarms the public." I believe that a sizable number of cops, maybe even a majority of cops, hold the same opinion. I have very little respect for these cops. They do not hassle OCers because they "fear" the consequences of hassling a citizen unlawfully. Make no mistake, if they could ban OC today, they would.

Their motivation for not hassling OCers does not mitigate their anti-citizen and anti-liberty opinion.