Thread: only cops should have guns

only cops should have guns

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ire&id=9220809

CHINO, Calif. (KABC) -- Two off-duty Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputies were arrested after they shot their guns into the air at a Chino campground following a dispute.

Banned
    CaPonus:

How does the thread title have anything to do with this thread?

A very tiny few people (and a very tiny few cops) would even espouse the assertion in the title, so one would expect some discussion of that idea, not just another of your patented cops-did-something-wrong threads.

eye95, I think your sarcasm detector is broken.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I was reading about this yesterday. Goes to show the personalities of the hired street warrior.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post

A very tiny few people (and a very tiny few cops) would even espouse the assertion in the title, .
    Did you forget about the democrats? Or at least those in DC?

Lots of people think that only the guberment should have guns ... I ran into many at my capitol last session.

And yes, I did refrain from pounding them into the dirt (something I regret).

Banned

only cops should have guns

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    eye95, I think your sarcasm detector is broken.
    Like I really thought he meant what he wrote in the title!

No. I am saying that the title is unrelated to the actual post. A typical CaP...er...onus behavior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    CaPonus:

How does the thread title have anything to do with this thread?

A very tiny few people (and a very tiny few cops) would even espouse the assertion in the title, so one would expect some discussion of that idea, not just another of your patented cops-did-something-wrong threads.
    Second post in the thread and you're already off topic
    Last edited by XD40sc; 08-28-2013 at 11:36 AM.

IMHO, LE should have guns at all. they already have the color of law. they have no reason to put their life on the line. if they didn't have lethal force there would be a lot of innocent citizens alive today.

let them carry their tazers and pepper spray, and leave the defense to the people that don't have the protection of the law
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    Second post in the thread and you're already off topic
    Which topic? The one in the title? Or the one in the first post? Or am I off-topic in the exact same way that you (hypocritically) are?!

Re: only cops should have guns

I don't see the issue? If my neighbor's are playing music too loud at 1:30 am we just start firing into the air for as long as it takes to get them to lower the music. NOT! Sarcasm off now. Something tells me older cop asks jr. Cop (who may not know either is a cop) to lower the LL Cool J music. Jr. Says "F you! Old biotch....". Being the rational PEACE officers they are, they both whip out their CC pistols & begin firing....

Speculation on my part but something tells me there are a lot of details the public will never see on this incident. Wonder if firing at someone and missing them is considered firing up into the air, when its officers involved in CA?. Hats off to the arresting LEA for doing their job & not simply turning a blind eye, as sometimes happens in these situations. No doubt these guys will walk with a slap on the wrist, if the case ever goes to court? Sad.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    I don't see the issue? If my neighbor's are playing music too loud at 1:30 am we just start firing into the air for as long as it takes to get them to lower the music. NOT! Sarcasm off now. Something tells me older cop asks jr. Cop (who may not know either is a cop) to lower the LL Cool J music. Jr. Says "F you! Old biotch....". Being the rational PEACE officers they are, they both whip out their CC pistols & begin firing....

Speculation on my part but something tells me there are a lot of details the public will never see on this incident. Wonder if firing at someone and missing them is considered firing up into the air, when its officers involved in CA?. Hats off to the arresting LEA for doing their job & not simply turning a blind eye, as sometimes happens in these situations. No doubt these guys will walk with a slap on the wrist, if the case ever goes to court? Sad.
    I love this idea that cops routinely get off with a slap on the wrist for what others would get stiff penalties for. It's so blatantly false, but it seems to be one of those falsehoods that just keeps getting repeated. I am sure it SOMETIMES happens, but it's hardly par for the course. Cops also sometimes get STIFFer sentences than the average joe would get, but that is ignored. Cops are also way more likely to get tried federally if the state trial is a loser (e.g. rodney king) which almost never happens to civilians. It might happen to Zimmerman, though, and if it does that will certainly be an example of this very unusual occurrence for civilians.

Usually, when I ask for examples, people will trot out completely disanalogous examples, etc. For example, they will compare the sentence a convicted felon got for doing X with what a cop got for doing X, failing to realize that a HUGE factor in sentencing severity is the defendant's criminal record (iow something a first timer gets probation for, a convicted multiple felon might get a year or more, etc.)

I've seen several examples even where judges have come outright and said they were giving a STIFFER penalty to the defendant because he was a cop. Which is the exact opposite of what many cop critics believe.

I have several cop friends who have been convicted of crimes (DUI, etc.) and they got the EXACT same sentence that other FIRST time offenders got

Remember, civilians often get plea bargains so you see a guy getting 6 months for crime X and don't realize he actually committed crime Y, but got a plea deal. That's another factor that throws off the comparisons if people aren;'t looking at source documents.
    Last edited by PALO; 08-28-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The OP has a history of posting for inflammatory benefit - that won't fly in this life either.

Locked it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.