• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

only cops should have guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye95

CaPonus:

How does the thread title have anything to do with this thread?

A very tiny few people (and a very tiny few cops) would even espouse the assertion in the title, so one would expect some discussion of that idea, not just another of your patented cops-did-something-wrong threads.

davidmcbeth

Banned
A very tiny few people (and a very tiny few cops) would even espouse the assertion in the title, .

Did you forget about the democrats? Or at least those in DC?

Lots of people think that only the guberment should have guns ... I ran into many at my capitol last session.

And yes, I did refrain from pounding them into the dirt (something I regret).

XD40sc

CaPonus:

How does the thread title have anything to do with this thread?

A very tiny few people (and a very tiny few cops) would even espouse the assertion in the title, so one would expect some discussion of that idea, not just another of your patented cops-did-something-wrong threads.

Second post in the thread and you're already off topic :eek:

Last edited:

papa bear

IMHO, LE should have guns at all. they already have the color of law. they have no reason to put their life on the line. if they didn't have lethal force there would be a lot of innocent citizens alive today.

let them carry their tazers and pepper spray, and leave the defense to the people that don't have the protection of the law

FreeInAZ

I don't see the issue? If my neighbor's are playing music too loud at 1:30 am we just start firing into the air for as long as it takes to get them to lower the music. NOT! Sarcasm off now. Something tells me older cop asks jr. Cop (who may not know either is a cop) to lower the LL Cool J music. Jr. Says "F you! Old biotch....". Being the rational PEACE officers they are, they both whip out their CC pistols & begin firing.... :rolleyes:

Speculation on my part but something tells me there are a lot of details the public will never see on this incident. Wonder if firing at someone and missing them is considered firing up into the air, when its officers involved in CA?. Hats off to the arresting LEA for doing their job & not simply turning a blind eye, as sometimes happens in these situations. No doubt these guys will walk with a slap on the wrist, if the case ever goes to court? Sad.

PALO

I don't see the issue? If my neighbor's are playing music too loud at 1:30 am we just start firing into the air for as long as it takes to get them to lower the music. NOT! Sarcasm off now. Something tells me older cop asks jr. Cop (who may not know either is a cop) to lower the LL Cool J music. Jr. Says "F you! Old biotch....". Being the rational PEACE officers they are, they both whip out their CC pistols & begin firing.... :rolleyes:

Speculation on my part but something tells me there are a lot of details the public will never see on this incident. Wonder if firing at someone and missing them is considered firing up into the air, when its officers involved in CA?. Hats off to the arresting LEA for doing their job & not simply turning a blind eye, as sometimes happens in these situations. No doubt these guys will walk with a slap on the wrist, if the case ever goes to court? Sad.

I love this idea that cops routinely get off with a slap on the wrist for what others would get stiff penalties for. It's so blatantly false, but it seems to be one of those falsehoods that just keeps getting repeated. I am sure it SOMETIMES happens, but it's hardly par for the course. Cops also sometimes get STIFFer sentences than the average joe would get, but that is ignored. Cops are also way more likely to get tried federally if the state trial is a loser (e.g. rodney king) which almost never happens to civilians. It might happen to Zimmerman, though, and if it does that will certainly be an example of this very unusual occurrence for civilians.

Usually, when I ask for examples, people will trot out completely disanalogous examples, etc. For example, they will compare the sentence a convicted felon got for doing X with what a cop got for doing X, failing to realize that a HUGE factor in sentencing severity is the defendant's criminal record (iow something a first timer gets probation for, a convicted multiple felon might get a year or more, etc.)

I've seen several examples even where judges have come outright and said they were giving a STIFFER penalty to the defendant because he was a cop. Which is the exact opposite of what many cop critics believe.

I have several cop friends who have been convicted of crimes (DUI, etc.) and they got the EXACT same sentence that other FIRST time offenders got

Remember, civilians often get plea bargains so you see a guy getting 6 months for crime X and don't realize he actually committed crime Y, but got a plea deal. That's another factor that throws off the comparisons if people aren;'t looking at source documents.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The OP has a history of posting for inflammatory benefit - that won't fly in this life either.

Locked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.