• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Viral Outrage - Spokane Police Chief Doubles Down on His Narrative

OC for ME

“I would like to make it very clear,” Straub says, “the motive for this attack was robbery. Race was not a factor.”

http://www.inlander.com/spokane/article-19642-viral-outrage.html

http://www.inlander.com/spokane/blog-9294-as-manhunt-ends-police-chief-straub-rejects-racial.html
Blame the victim for defending himself. get called on it and start back peddling as fast as you can without looking where you are going. Oh, and race was not a factor, nope, it was age crime.

OC for ME

“Our information is that the individual fought back -- and that may have made this a worse situation,” Straub said, referring to the severity of Belton's injuries. “I’m not being critical of Mr. Belton. I would encourage individuals to fight back, and he should have, but it shouldn’t have happened to begin with, right? But I think a robbery just got worse.”

http://www.latimes.com/nation/natio...elbert-belton-police-20130826,0,3331940.story
Uh yes, chief, you are being critical of the victim.

Jeff Hayes

The thought crossed my mind that he may have been unarmed because he was going to the bar in the Eagles. Then again he may have not normally carried either.

EMNofSeattle

The thought crossed my mind that he may have been unarmed because he was going to the bar in the Eagles. Then again he may have not normally carried either.

I wonder if Belton used the flashlight to attempt to defend himself... think about it, he's beat with the flashlight, but how many 16 year old punks carry mag-lite sized flashlights, or carry a flashlight at all?

a mag-lite/kel-lite/streamlight is exactly the type of thing a old person is more likely to have in their car then wannabe gang member in their possession.

hermannr

Both of these teens as been charged with assault before. Anyone want to bet that the "knockout game" young blacks like to play on white victims was what actually going on? The robbery was a secondary thought?

Consider, both teens have been charged and convicted of assault before, neither has been charged with robbery?

And, I agree, Straub has lost a ton of credibility with his reaction to this.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Both of these teens as been charged with assault before. Anyone want to bet that the "knockout game" young blacks like to play on white victims was what actually going on? The robbery was a secondary thought?

Consider, both teens have been charged and convicted of assault before, neither has been charged with robbery?

And, I agree, Straub has lost a ton of credibility with his reaction to this.

IMO Straub was finished before he started but he sure seems to have sped up the process in the last week or so. Spokane used to be pretty safe I will not go downtown at noon unarmed now days.

DocWalker

IMO Straub was finished before he started but he sure seems to have sped up the process in the last week or so. Spokane used to be pretty safe I will not go downtown at noon unarmed now days.

My wife and me are riding our Motorcycles up to Spokane this weekend from Boise. We are going through Oregon and the Tri Cities and back across. I think I will Open Carry my Springfield XD all the way and when going around town. I usally CC when up in my wifes home town but after all the crap happening up there....Shorty getting killed (my wifes family new him well), the pawn shop thing, and what appears to be a corrupt PD. WOW.

Jeff Hayes

My wife and me are riding our Motorcycles up to Spokane this weekend from Boise. We are going through Oregon and the Tri Cities and back across. I think I will Open Carry my Springfield XD all the way and when going around town. I usally CC when up in my wifes home town but after all the crap happening up there....Shorty getting killed (my wifes family new him well), the pawn shop thing, and what appears to be a corrupt PD. WOW.

You should have no problems the PD seems to accept open carry pretty well here I have never been approached by PD not even once in the last 5 years. I OC on my HD all the time a few weeks ago a guy yelled at me to cover that thing up a couple of times on Division but that about it. Have a good safe trip.

DocWalker

You should have no problems the PD seems to accept open carry pretty well here I have never been approached by PD not even once in the last 5 years. I OC on my HD all the time a few weeks ago a guy yelled at me to cover that thing up a couple of times on Division but that about it. Have a good safe trip.

Thanks we will, I'm just not impressed with the Chief whom is trying to blame Shorty for getting murdered by fighting back and saying that race has nothing to do with the murder. The press even publishing the crimials version of events. I know some of the Sheriff deputies and I used to work for the Fire District.

Obi Wan

Maybe I am mis-reading things a bit, but it comes across, to me at least, that some here think that race was indeed a factor.
Do you have any hard evidence of that, or is it just unfounded speculation?

Obi Wan

hermannr

Maybe I am mis-reading things a bit, but it comes across, to me at least, that some here think that race was indeed a factor.
Do you have any hard evidence of that, or is it just unfounded speculation?

Obi Wan

IMHO: Race relations in the US went way back when a prominent person (who is 1/2 white, and raised by white grandparents, and half African (not African American) ) was asked if he considered himself white, or black. A proper answer for a person in his position would have been "I consider myself an American". Unfortunately for US, (the citizens of the US) he chose to say "I consider myself black"..

You figure it out. I think if "Shorty" had been black, it would have been a simple robbery, not a beat down.

Last edited:

DocWalker

Speculation.
Thanks.

Obi Wan
Yes there is hard eveidence for this and the guy that was shot in Oklahoma by the black teens, even though the authorities are denying it.

Look at the shooters face book page and statements.

For Shorty, they also have made statements and both have made been in other crimes that all involved assult and/or robbery and it was always against a white person. If you don't know the facts then you might want to do some research.

Both the guys that killed Shorty also beat up a 14 and 10 year old outside the Northtown mall in Spokane 7-8 months ago. There were 7 of them and the 10 year old ended up in the hospital. Only one has been charged in that case even though it is on video from the mall.

Why would the aurthorities deny it? Simple they are trying to keep the peace and it is easier to do without the tention of race. They are lying to keep people calm, but that only works on the soft minds that believe everything this police chief says. Yes research this police chief he is a piece of work.

People like to bury their heads in the sand and pretend there isn't an elephant in the room but there is. Whe I was a kid my best friend was black, when I joined the military I had a lot of black friends. My dads best friend is black and I respect him more than most people I know, at 45 I still call him Mr. Dixon even though we are both retired military. My wifes best friend is black and she refers to herself as my second wife since her and my wife get me to do chores for her sometimes, you know cutting down a tree and such.

Today I can't name one close black friend that I talk to at least once a month and it isn't because I'm racist; I'm not.

PALO

Yes there is hard eveidence for this and the guy that was shot in Oklahoma by the black teens, even though the authorities are denying it.

Look at the shooters face book page and statements.

For Shorty, they also have made statements and both have made been in other crimes that all involved assult and/or robbery and it was always against a white person. If you don't know the facts then you might want to do some research.

Both the guys that killed Shorty also beat up a 14 and 10 year old outside the Northtown mall in Spokane 7-8 months ago. There were 7 of them and the 10 year old ended up in the hospital. Only one has been charged in that case even though it is on video from the mall.

Why would the aurthorities deny it? Simple they are trying to keep the peace and it is easier to do without the tention of race. They are lying to keep people calm, but that only works on the soft minds that believe everything this police chief says. Yes research this police chief he is a piece of work.

People like to bury their heads in the sand and pretend there isn't an elephant in the room but there is. Whe I was a kid my best friend was black, when I joined the military I had a lot of black friends. My dads best friend is black and I respect him more than most people I know, at 45 I still call him Mr. Dixon even though we are both retired military. My wifes best friend is black and she refers to herself as my second wife since her and my wife get me to do chores for her sometimes, you know cutting down a tree and such.

Today I can't name one close black friend that I talk to at least once a month and it isn't because I'm racist; I'm not.

I've said this before, I;ll say it again - police chiefs are (almost always) political appointees and serve at the pleasure of the mayor or city council depending.

Contrast with Sheriffs , who are elected

As appointed officials, they are almost always cop-o-crats and I would bet the primary reason they would not consider this a hate crime ASSUMING the case facts support that conclusion is because the powers that be (mayor's office etc.) don't want it so considered

I am a minority subject to hate crime laws, and I have been a victim of hate speech (not illegal) but I am 100% against "hate crime" laws. I don't think it's good policy to elevate victims and make a penalty harsher because the perp had animus towards the victom's group. But that's a tangent.

As another example of denying an OBVIOUS hate crime, was the mardi gras riots and subsequent murder of Kris Kime (a hero who was trying to save a woman being beaten during the riots).

Race hucksters made a big deal when a picture was published in the newspaper of rioters and almost every person portrayed was a person of color (so to speak) in a city with only 6% african americans, the investigation revealed that over 80 % of the rioters were african american and a substantial # were gang bangers from oregon who had made the trip up to seattle. During the riot, several times racial motive was overheard with rioters yelling out stuff

Officers were ORDERED not to engage the rioters but to stand by and let them riot. I kid you not. It came down over police radio from the brass and former chief kerlikowske (now Obama';s "drug czar) inexcusably let people be killed and injured rather than lettin ghte cops do their job because the mayor./political appointee chief thought it would look bad to have cops hitting minorities with sticks, etc. So, the cop-o-crat cowards ordered no intervention (even tually they let the cops do their job but not until the riots had been going on for some time) and essentially would rather see people maimed and kiled than to risk looking bad on teevee since mostly white cops using force against mostly minority rioters wasn't the image seattle wanted to portray

One of the most disgusting examples of institutionalized police cowardice I have ever seen

Some seattle official claimed they didn't have sufficient manpower to engage the crowd of rioters (rubbish), but they had several agencies on standby to assist them but they did NOT request assistance, which makes their claim specious. Claiming to not have enough manpower AND choosing not to ask for help to boost manpower is inconsistent. What it came down to was the cop-o-crat cowards wanted complete control which they wouldn't have had if State Patrol, County Sheriffs and other agencies came into the city to quell rioting. Cops suppressing a riot, with sticks flying etc. may look bad, but tough #$(#(. Our job is to protect people from rioters,etc even if it makes bad images for teevee

From wikipedia:The day after the riot, local newspapers carried a picture of a black man with brass knuckles engaged in an assault which came to symbolize the riot.[11] An editorial in The Stranger said the incident was racially motivated and that much of the violence was directed at white civilians.[12] Witnesses said gangs of black youth yelled racially charged slurs and sought white victims.[13] Investigations later showed that roughly 75% of the over 100 suspects were black. Many of the suspects had criminal records and were believed to be affiliated with gangs.[14] Some eyewitnesses said that most of the attackers were black but that race was not a factor in who was victimized. According to the Seattle Weekly shortly after the incident, police did not see the attacks as solely or even predominately racial violence.[15]

Racial issues overshadowed the sexual assaults that took place. One man was charged with forcibly fondling a woman. A photograph of a partially nude woman being groped by some two dozen men while lying topless and on her back won an award from the National Press Photographer Association despite not being previously published in a newspaper.[16]

During the incident, Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske ordered the police at the scene not to intervene, instead maintaining a perimeter around the growing violence.[7] The Seattle police force voted a resolution of "no confidence" in Chief Kerlikowske when officers complained of being "held back too long". The City of Seattle acknowledged that the police strategy during the incidents presented a public safety threat, and the City settled with Kime's family for just under $2,000,000. Schell appointed a three member task force panel to investigate the cause of the riots.[17] He instructed them not to discuss the lack of police intervention which the public had been concerned about. Initially task force meetings were closed to the public, but protest forced the city to open them to attendance.

Last edited:

amzbrady

You most definitely want to carry thru the Tri-Cities. The Demographics are changing for the worse in and around the area.