Thread: Stark County Fairgrounds Posted...

Stark County Fairgrounds Posted...

Stark County Fair is posted, as per images at OFCC

Fair Board blew me off to the Sheriff, POC at Sheriff is out of office... anyone feel like yet another NE Ohio walk? lol

Hopefully we'll get this ironed out quickly, as the wife and I were planning on attending... I would hate to see the Civil Suit if they improperly detained my wife and kept her from breastfeeding our son!

AAAND... its UNPOSTED... or should be soon... we'll see how this works out... they still want to post the barns and stuff... (even the the ORC only gives explicit permission to ban CONCEALED carry except for a very few instances)

If anybody attends tonight be sure to let us know if things are resolved & how they handled buildings, etc.
    Last edited by JustaShooter; 08-28-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by BriKuz View Post
    AAAND... its UNPOSTED... or should be soon... we'll see how this works out... they still want to post the barns and stuff... (even the the ORC only gives explicit permission to ban CONCEALED carry except for a very few instances)
    Details. Words mean things.

They have no "permission to ban", they are instructed, by law, to post a sign reminding armed citizens that the building is a CPZ.

ORC 2923.1212 instructs those guys to put up signs on buildings. They don't have a choice, but they face no penalty in that statute for not doing so. The SUGGESTED WORDING in that statute seemingly applies to both open and concealed, even though a review of the Revised Code tells us differently.

I can't bring myself to argue with them if they want to post a sign with the EXACT suggested wording. I only have issues when their wording goes way off track, like the former signs at the Canfield Fair.

As to whether a barn is a shelter or not, I'm all for it being a shelter. If they want to post a barn, I'll fight that another day.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Interesting, the fair grounds weren't posted last year.

They had two signs up last year; the junior fair office and the the main fair office were posted.

There's a 9.68 Compliance forum at the OFCC site (ohioccwforums.org). It goes back several years and shows that this is normal.

Anybody 18 or older can pay a few dollars to become a member of an Ag. Society in their county. Once you are a member you can be chosen/elected to the fair board. Anybody on the fair board can suggest putting up CPZ signs. Of course, as we knock down a sign one year, the fair board membership changes and a new member makes that same CPZ suggestion the next year.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Ride tickets are extra.

What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootinRugers View Post
    Interesting, the fair grounds weren't posted last year.

They had two signs up last year; the junior fair office and the the main fair office were posted.
    Going by the signs I saw Wednesday morning, they've been posted all along. Standard metal gunbusters, old & fading badly, bolted to the chainlink fences near the walk-in gates:

and big, metal signs also near the gates that looked like they'd been there a while, wired to the chainlink fences with rust stains in the corners, like this one:

There were also photocopied gunbuster signs in plastic sleves stapled to the ticket booths just below the ticket windows, now those might not have been there in the past, hard to say:

Either way, we do need to continue to be vigilant because as MWSY says, all it takes is a change in the fair board and they can come back.
    NRA Life Member

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

I agree when we see a gun buster signs we need to get it removed, but I also don't go out of my way to look for them. Same as if I see a sign that isn't posted, I just try to get it removed, and I sure as hell don't tell them that it isn't posted correctly.

I enter the fair grounds at north/east gate (Wertz and 7th NW) just north of the main entrance.

My wife and I were there this morning and the only sign I noticed was at the junior fair office. The sign at the main office was gone.

They were selling tickets in front of the ticket booth not from inside of it for some reason, I tried to get a good look but was herded on though the gate so couldn't get a really good look at it but didn't notice anything like pictured.

I had a really nice chat with the Kames Sports rep there. Reconfirmed why I spend a lot of my money there instead of that other place in town. Other than that we did see a turkey somebody paid $300 for along with a chicken that sold for $250.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootinRugers View Post
    I enter the fair grounds at north/east gate (Wertz and 7th NW) just north of the main entrance.

My wife and I were there this morning and the only sign I noticed was at the junior fair office. The sign at the main office was gone.

They were selling tickets in front of the ticket booth not from inside of it for some reason, I tried to get a good look but was herded on though the gate so couldn't get a really good look at it but didn't notice anything like pictured.
    That's good, sounds like they moved quickly to correct the signage - kudos to BriKuz and MWSY for making this happen!
    NRA Life Member

This one's all on BriKuz.

Ah, the energy of youth.

Recoil.