• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Rapids Commissioner

Raggs

A Grands Rapids commissioner want stat law to change so they can ban open carry.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/08/ban_open_carry_of_guns_in_gran.html

This is not surprising. We need to keep telling our elected officials to not listen to people like Commissioner White and Mayor Heartwell.
"“I believe that most gun owners are responsible people. But open carry implies the willingness to use the gun under certain circumstances. Other people are left to guess what those circumstances might be. Having to wonder is intimidation."

This cracks me up, he sooo doesn't understand most OCers

B

Bikenut

This is not surprising. We need to keep telling our elected officials to not listen to people like Commissioner White and Mayor Heartwell.
"“I believe that most gun owners are responsible people. But open carry implies the willingness to use the gun under certain circumstances. Other people are left to guess what those circumstances might be. Having to wonder is intimidation."

This cracks me up, he sooo doesn't understand most OCers
Yes he does understand OCers.. he understands that anyone who has the courage to put their right to bear arms out there in plain sight is someone who isn't going to be easy to intimidate....

And power hungry wannabe petty tyrants, in fact ALL tyrants big and small understand that:

Mao Tse Tung
Quotations from Mao Tse Tung

-snip-
Every Communist must grasp the truth; "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."
"Problems of War and Strategy" (November 6, 1938), Selected Works, Vol. II, p. 224.
-snip

http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/works/red-book/ch05.htm

bigt8261

There are a lot of people talking about how elected officials need to hear from us. That they do, but it's more than that. They need to see who we are. They need to get around their prejudice and bigotry and see us for the responsible, law abiding, and peace loving people we are. They need to get to know us, not as the gun toter, but as the father, mother, son, daughter, ect. They need to see us as reasonable people with real concerns and we are not to be cast aside.

From now until the September 28th picnic in Grand Rapids, I will be politely inviting the GR Commission, and any other public official in the area, to attend the picnic. I will be inviting them to come meet real people with real concerns.

I know it can be a struggle to address our elected officials in a respectful manner, but it is something that we must do. Me MUST address them and we must be smart about it. Especially if they are an anti. Why make their destructive position easy? I hope to see everyone at the picnic in September and in Lansing in October.

-Tom Lambert

davidmcbeth

Banned
There are a lot of people talking about how elected officials need to hear from us. That they do, but it's more than that. They need to see who we are. They need to get around their prejudice and bigotry and see us for the responsible, law abiding, and peace loving people we are. They need to get to know us, not as the gun toter, but as the father, mother, son, daughter, ect. They need to see us as reasonable people with real concerns and we are not to be cast aside.

From now until the September 28th picnic in Grand Rapids, I will be politely inviting the GR Commission, and any other public official in the area, to attend the picnic. I will be inviting them to come meet real people with real concerns.

I know it can be a struggle to address our elected officials in a respectful manner, but it is something that we must do. Me MUST address them and we must be smart about it. Especially if they are an anti. Why make their destructive position easy? I hope to see everyone at the picnic in September and in Lansing in October.

-Tom Lambert

I'm not a Quaker, Tom ... just a FYI

Raggs

I doubt that anyone from the commission will show up, though I hope they would. The problem is they dont seem to want to listen to the views that are not in line with theirs.
you said “I used to believe that you and I wanted the same thing, but I’m not so sure now,” Lambert said. “You see, I push for what has been proven time and time again to make people safer. You on the other hand, push not for ideas that will protect people, but instead for ideas that prevent people from protecting themselves.”
What makes you think they will change their minds just because they meet more OCers?

bigt8261

What makes you think they will change their minds just because they meet more OCers?

Not a thing, but I continue holding out hope. Naive? Yeah, probably, but from my standpoint, approaching this in good faith only lends to my credibility and detracts from theirs (if they refuse).

Is this going to go anywhere? Not likely, but I'm not going to shoot it down before it starts. The anti's deserve to be challenged, and a legitimate challenge is better than a false one.

Golden Eagle

Not a thing, but I continue holding out hope. Naive? Yeah, probably, but from my standpoint, approaching this in good faith only lends to my credibility and detracts from theirs (if they refuse).

Is this going to go anywhere? Not likely, but I'm not going to shoot it down before it starts. The anti's deserve to be challenged, and a legitimate challenge is better than a false one.

I like your thinking. Well said.