Thread: Waterbury DMV

Waterbury DMV

Walked in, waited for 45 min. No seats so I was standing up. Had a G23 in a Serpa lvl 2 on my hip and a double mag pouch on my other hip. Armored car guy walks in, sees my gun and heads into the back room. There was a fury of activity, whispers and then 4 or 5 guys surround me including the armored car guy who tells me to take my hands out of my pockets. Guy 1: "You can't carry on state property." Me: "Yes I can" Guy 2 "Are you a cop, are you carrying that for a job?" Me: "No." Guy 1: "Then why are you carrying a gun?" Armored car guy: "You need to conceal that." Me: "No I don't." Guy 2: "Do you have a permit?" Me: "Of course." Guy 2: "Give it to me." Guy snatches it and runs off to the back room. Guy 1: "You need to leave." I gave him the standard speech about legality and whatnot. Guy 1: "You need to leave NOW!" Me: "Not going anywhere without my permit." Guy 1: "Hold on." He got it for me. I said I was going to secure my weapon and return. He said that was fine. They called the state cops. State cop rolls up, goes in the back room, they all huddle for a while, state cop leaves. Now these guys are seriously staring me down. I finished my business and went Looking for Guy 1. Asked him for his name and title; got it. Asked for Guy 2's name and title; I got a first name and title and was refused his last name. Before I could ask Guy 2, Guy 1 apparently warned him that I was taking names and Guy 2 disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cook View Post
    Walked in, waited for 45 min. No seats so I was standing up. Had a G23 in a Serpa lvl 2 on my hip and a double mag pouch on my other hip. Armored car guy walks in, sees my gun and heads into the back room. There was a fury of activity, whispers and then 4 or 5 guys surround me including the armored car guy who tells me to take my hands out of my pockets. Guy 1: "You can't carry on state property." Me: "Yes I can" Guy 2 "Are you a cop, are you carrying that for a job?" Me: "No." Guy 1: "Then why are you carrying a gun?" Armored car guy: "You need to conceal that." Me: "No I don't." Guy 2: "Do you have a permit?" Me: "Of course." Guy 2: "Give it to me." Guy snatches it and runs off to the back room. Guy 1: "You need to leave." I gave him the standard speech about legality and whatnot. Guy 1: "You need to leave NOW!" Me: "Not going anywhere without my permit." Guy 1: "Hold on." He got it for me. I said I was going to secure my weapon and return. He said that was fine. They called the state cops. State cop rolls up, goes in the back room, they all huddle for a while, state cop leaves. Now these guys are seriously staring me down. I finished my business and went Looking for Guy 1. Asked him for his name and title; got it. Asked for Guy 2's name and title; I got a first name and title and was refused his last name. Before I could ask Guy 2, Guy 1 apparently warned him that I was taking names and Guy 2 disappeared.
    Those with very little power tend to abuse what they think they have. What security company was this? Please do give us a follow-up.

Banned
    Well, at least you were not bored to death waiting for your ticket # to be called.

When I go, I gather up like 5 tickets ... then auction them off when the #s come near...I call it:

DMV Ticket Wars !

The commissioner is out for several weeks, hip replacement. And the Dep. Commish is a nice black fellow.
    I filed a declaratory ruling request several weeks ago ... with the Wethersfield branch (HQ)

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Well, at least you were not bored to death waiting for your ticket # to be called.

When I go, I gather up like 5 tickets ... then auction them off when the #s come near...I call it:

DMV Ticket Wars !

The commissioner is out for several weeks, hip replacement. And the Dep. Commish is a nice black fellow.
    I filed a declaratory ruling request several weeks ago ... with the Wethersfield branch (HQ)
    Ok. Here is my Official letter and response from the CT Commissioner of Motor Vehicles:

Hello,
    Would you please clarify for me whether or not a properly pistol/revolver permitted citizen may carry his/her weapon at a CT dmv?
    There is no statute and the Waterbury office where I was hassled today has no sign saying that properly permitted firearms are banned from the premises.

Thank You,

Mr. Cook,
    Guns are not allowed at any DMV offices unless you are a DMV inspector or other sworn police officer. Thank you for bring forward the lack of signage. I am on vacation and will address this upon return.
    Melody Currey, Commissioner-DMV
    60 State Street, Wethersfield, CT 06161
    860-263-5015-office
    860-263-5542-fax
    melody.currey@ct.gov
    www.ct.gov/dmv

I don't think the Armored Car guy was a sworn police officer........................
    Last edited by Adam Cook; 08-28-2013 at 05:00 PM.

You should share the names of all those involved.

I'd also file a complaint with the armored car company. I'd have told the armored car guys to go eff off. I'd have showed the DMV folks more civility since they do have a right to ask me to leave.

Were the armored car guys armed? It would have been fun to answer their questions with questions. "well, why are you carrying"
    MCS Precision - Training, Sales, Transfers, Estate Purchases

07 FFL
    NRA Pistol and Rifle Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Ok.... So lets talk about it. rich [at] ctcarry.com
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

Ok. Here is my Official letter and response from the CT Commissioner of Motor Vehicles:

Hello,
    Would you please clarify for me whether or not a properly pistol/revolver permitted citizen may carry his/her weapon at a CT dmv?
    There is no statute and the Waterbury office where I was hassled today has no sign saying that properly permitted firearms are banned from the premises.

Thank You,

Mr. Cook,
    Guns are not allowed at any DMV offices unless you are a DMV inspector or other sworn police officer. Thank you for bring forward the lack of signage. I am on vacation and will address this upon return.
    860-263-5015-office
    860-263-5542-fax
    melody.currey@ct.gov
    www.ct.gov/dmv

I don't think the Armored Car guy was a sworn police officer........................

This is the prime example of why you don't ask permission. Not good.

Are you going to work with a state organization to see what you can do to mitigate the damage from this, or are there more emails to state officials we need to be concerned about?

Next time, please work within the system and get some advice before making things worse for everyone, please.
    Last edited by Rich B; 08-28-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post

Are you going to work with a state organization to see what you can do to mitigate the damage from this, or are there more emails to state officials we need to be concerned about?

Next time, please work within the system and get some advice before making things worse for everyone, please.
    Exactly. God god.

I guess then the armored car guys can't be armed either.
    Last edited by dcmdon; 08-28-2013 at 05:23 PM.

07 FFL
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post

OK. Made a mistake. I do apologize. Where to from here?

Historical records of similar situation at Enfield DMV

MONDAY AUGUST 27, 2007

Have today learned from (FB) that Enfield DMV incident occurred on May 16, 2007 3:26 pm, Enfield Police officer was possibly present and may have made contact with CSP during incident. Also involved DMV Officer Singer, Involved person is, Wilson Aviles, D.O.B 03/09/78, of 22a Millpond Road, Broadbrook, CT, incident/service # 0719856. No signage at or in DMV, Valid Permit, neither weapon nor permit was seized, and no law enforcement action taken. Terry in Records wants to speak to Deputy before any further information is disclosed.

Went to Enfield P.D. at approximately noon, and obtained the following redacted service report from May 16, 2007.

PDF COPY OF INCIDENT TICKET DID NOT UPLOAD
    Typed text of Service Report follows

Reported to the A/L, (Above/Location), for a party with a possible gun. C, (complainant), state the party later identified as (redacted), was at the counter and that he was told by a passerby that (redacted) may have a concealed weapon. The A/L was not posted that he could not have a weapon (gun). I spoke to (redacted) who stated that he did have a concealed weapon Gun Permit for (redacted) was valid and the gun a Ruger P345 pisto (redacted) were legal. Was negative NCIC, (redacted) stated that the party may have seen his holster when he (redacted) answered his cell phone (same side his gun was on). CSP Trooper Bonola also confirmed that it was not illegal at DMV.

Banned

Hello,

Thank You,

Mr. Cook,
    860-263-5015-office
    860-263-5542-fax
    melody.currey@ct.gov
    www.ct.gov/dmv

Well, she just lied to you ... she is NOT on vacation .. she's on medical leave (and it will be a while until she returns ~ maybe in OCT). And I have sworn at police officers ... does this count? Or I was inspecting the DMV, does this count? Yuk Yuk Yuk.

I would guess that she did not actually answer your query..likely a lackey using her email acct.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 08-29-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Well, she just lied to you ... she is NOT on vacation .. she's on medical leave (and it will be a while until she returns ~ maybe in OCT). And I have sworn at police officers ... does this count? Or I was inspecting the DMV, does this count? Yuk Yuk Yuk.

I would guess that she did not actually answer your query..likely a lackey using her email acct.
    Well, either way. I see how contacting officials could hurt the cause. Will consult community before acting from now on.

Well, either way. I see how contacting officials could hurt the cause. Will consult community before acting from now on.
    Actually, do NOT consult the community. You have to assume that this forum is read by everyone. This is an open forum.

I suggest you send PMs to Rich Burgess or contact CTCarry directly for advice before posting anything to an open forum.

Don

07 FFL
    NRA Life Member