• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waterbury DMV

Adam Cook

Walked in, waited for 45 min. No seats so I was standing up. Had a G23 in a Serpa lvl 2 on my hip and a double mag pouch on my other hip. Armored car guy walks in, sees my gun and heads into the back room. There was a fury of activity, whispers and then 4 or 5 guys surround me including the armored car guy who tells me to take my hands out of my pockets. Guy 1: "You can't carry on state property." Me: "Yes I can" Guy 2 "Are you a cop, are you carrying that for a job?" Me: "No." Guy 1: "Then why are you carrying a gun?" Armored car guy: "You need to conceal that." Me: "No I don't." Guy 2: "Do you have a permit?" Me: "Of course." Guy 2: "Give it to me." Guy snatches it and runs off to the back room. Guy 1: "You need to leave." I gave him the standard speech about legality and whatnot. Guy 1: "You need to leave NOW!" Me: "Not going anywhere without my permit." Guy 1: "Hold on." He got it for me. I said I was going to secure my weapon and return. He said that was fine. They called the state cops. State cop rolls up, goes in the back room, they all huddle for a while, state cop leaves. Now these guys are seriously staring me down. I finished my business and went Looking for Guy 1. Asked him for his name and title; got it. Asked for Guy 2's name and title; I got a first name and title and was refused his last name. Before I could ask Guy 2, Guy 1 apparently warned him that I was taking names and Guy 2 disappeared.

Bernymac

Walked in, waited for 45 min. No seats so I was standing up. Had a G23 in a Serpa lvl 2 on my hip and a double mag pouch on my other hip. Armored car guy walks in, sees my gun and heads into the back room. There was a fury of activity, whispers and then 4 or 5 guys surround me including the armored car guy who tells me to take my hands out of my pockets. Guy 1: "You can't carry on state property." Me: "Yes I can" Guy 2 "Are you a cop, are you carrying that for a job?" Me: "No." Guy 1: "Then why are you carrying a gun?" Armored car guy: "You need to conceal that." Me: "No I don't." Guy 2: "Do you have a permit?" Me: "Of course." Guy 2: "Give it to me." Guy snatches it and runs off to the back room. Guy 1: "You need to leave." I gave him the standard speech about legality and whatnot. Guy 1: "You need to leave NOW!" Me: "Not going anywhere without my permit." Guy 1: "Hold on." He got it for me. I said I was going to secure my weapon and return. He said that was fine. They called the state cops. State cop rolls up, goes in the back room, they all huddle for a while, state cop leaves. Now these guys are seriously staring me down. I finished my business and went Looking for Guy 1. Asked him for his name and title; got it. Asked for Guy 2's name and title; I got a first name and title and was refused his last name. Before I could ask Guy 2, Guy 1 apparently warned him that I was taking names and Guy 2 disappeared.

Those with very little power tend to abuse what they think they have. What security company was this? Please do give us a follow-up.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, at least you were not bored to death waiting for your ticket # to be called.

When I go, I gather up like 5 tickets ... then auction them off when the #s come near...I call it:

DMV Ticket Wars !

The commissioner is out for several weeks, hip replacement. And the Dep. Commish is a nice black fellow.
I filed a declaratory ruling request several weeks ago ... with the Wethersfield branch (HQ)

Adam Cook

Well, at least you were not bored to death waiting for your ticket # to be called.

When I go, I gather up like 5 tickets ... then auction them off when the #s come near...I call it:

DMV Ticket Wars !

The commissioner is out for several weeks, hip replacement. And the Dep. Commish is a nice black fellow.
I filed a declaratory ruling request several weeks ago ... with the Wethersfield branch (HQ)

Ok. Here is my Official letter and response from the CT Commissioner of Motor Vehicles:

Hello,
Would you please clarify for me whether or not a properly pistol/revolver permitted citizen may carry his/her weapon at a CT dmv?
There is no statute and the Waterbury office where I was hassled today has no sign saying that properly permitted firearms are banned from the premises.

Thank You,

Mr. Cook,
Guns are not allowed at any DMV offices unless you are a DMV inspector or other sworn police officer. Thank you for bring forward the lack of signage. I am on vacation and will address this upon return.
Melody Currey, Commissioner-DMV
60 State Street, Wethersfield, CT 06161
860-263-5015-office
860-263-5542-fax
melody.currey@ct.gov
www.ct.gov/dmv

I don't think the Armored Car guy was a sworn police officer........................

Last edited:

dcmdon

You should share the names of all those involved.

I'd also file a complaint with the armored car company. I'd have told the armored car guys to go eff off. I'd have showed the DMV folks more civility since they do have a right to ask me to leave.

Were the armored car guys armed? It would have been fun to answer their questions with questions. "well, why are you carrying"

Rich B

Ok. Here is my Official letter and response from the CT Commissioner of Motor Vehicles:

Hello,
Would you please clarify for me whether or not a properly pistol/revolver permitted citizen may carry his/her weapon at a CT dmv?
There is no statute and the Waterbury office where I was hassled today has no sign saying that properly permitted firearms are banned from the premises.

Thank You,

Mr. Cook,
Guns are not allowed at any DMV offices unless you are a DMV inspector or other sworn police officer. Thank you for bring forward the lack of signage. I am on vacation and will address this upon return.
860-263-5015-office
860-263-5542-fax
melody.currey@ct.gov
www.ct.gov/dmv

I don't think the Armored Car guy was a sworn police officer........................

This is the prime example of why you don't ask permission. Not good.

Are you going to work with a state organization to see what you can do to mitigate the damage from this, or are there more emails to state officials we need to be concerned about?

Next time, please work within the system and get some advice before making things worse for everyone, please.

Last edited:

dcmdon

Are you going to work with a state organization to see what you can do to mitigate the damage from this, or are there more emails to state officials we need to be concerned about?

Next time, please work within the system and get some advice before making things worse for everyone, please.

Exactly. God god.

I guess then the armored car guys can't be armed either.

Last edited:

Adam Cook

OK. Made a mistake. I do apologize. Where to from here?

Edward Peruta

Historical records of similar situation at Enfield DMV

MONDAY AUGUST 27, 2007

Have today learned from (FB) that Enfield DMV incident occurred on May 16, 2007 3:26 pm, Enfield Police officer was possibly present and may have made contact with CSP during incident. Also involved DMV Officer Singer, Involved person is, Wilson Aviles, D.O.B 03/09/78, of 22a Millpond Road, Broadbrook, CT, incident/service # 0719856. No signage at or in DMV, Valid Permit, neither weapon nor permit was seized, and no law enforcement action taken. Terry in Records wants to speak to Deputy before any further information is disclosed.

Went to Enfield P.D. at approximately noon, and obtained the following redacted service report from May 16, 2007.

PDF COPY OF INCIDENT TICKET DID NOT UPLOAD
Typed text of Service Report follows

Reported to the A/L, (Above/Location), for a party with a possible gun. C, (complainant), state the party later identified as (redacted), was at the counter and that he was told by a passerby that (redacted) may have a concealed weapon. The A/L was not posted that he could not have a weapon (gun). I spoke to (redacted) who stated that he did have a concealed weapon Gun Permit for (redacted) was valid and the gun a Ruger P345 pisto (redacted) were legal. Was negative NCIC, (redacted) stated that the party may have seen his holster when he (redacted) answered his cell phone (same side his gun was on). CSP Trooper Bonola also confirmed that it was not illegal at DMV.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Hello,

Thank You,

Mr. Cook,
860-263-5015-office
860-263-5542-fax
melody.currey@ct.gov
www.ct.gov/dmv

Well, she just lied to you ... she is NOT on vacation .. she's on medical leave (and it will be a while until she returns ~ maybe in OCT). And I have sworn at police officers ... does this count? Or I was inspecting the DMV, does this count? Yuk Yuk Yuk.

I would guess that she did not actually answer your query..likely a lackey using her email acct.

Last edited:

Adam Cook

Well, she just lied to you ... she is NOT on vacation .. she's on medical leave (and it will be a while until she returns ~ maybe in OCT). And I have sworn at police officers ... does this count? Or I was inspecting the DMV, does this count? Yuk Yuk Yuk.

I would guess that she did not actually answer your query..likely a lackey using her email acct.

Well, either way. I see how contacting officials could hurt the cause. Will consult community before acting from now on.

dcmdon

Well, either way. I see how contacting officials could hurt the cause. Will consult community before acting from now on.

Actually, do NOT consult the community. You have to assume that this forum is read by everyone. This is an open forum.

I suggest you send PMs to Rich Burgess or contact CTCarry directly for advice before posting anything to an open forum.

Don