• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC when selling a car on Craigslist?

independence

What are the advantages/disadvantages of open carrying when selling a car to a Craigslist buyer? I will be meeting the buyer at a third party location and am going to try to take someone with me, but what about OCing? I can't decide if OCing will work to my advantage by being a deterrent if they intend to harm me, or if I am going to scare off my potential buyer...:question:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I OCed when attempting to sell a car last year. Whether it was the age of the car (older), the price (relatively low), or something else, I met some "interesting" people on the way to meeting the final, respectably-dressed individual who bought it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Buying and selling cars on craigslist can certainly bring out folks ... had one guy wave 3K cash in front of me telling me I had to take it. He did not know that my rifle was about 10 ft away so I let him rant. Sold it for 5K.

If I were to go look at a seller who was carrying it would not matter to me. But a lone female, I could see trepidation depending on the person "Lets go for a drive, honey...I'll show you how it rides"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBqzCXlG7Sg "..you gonna have to start getting scared IMMEDIATELY" .... great movie

Last edited:

jhfc

I've bought and sold many things on craigslist, from the cheap ($10) to a car ($17k). Never had a problem. Saw all sorts of people; a few quite down on their luck.

Never OC'd, but always had a firearm near at hand.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't know what the problem is as long as it is legal where you are.

I normally OC - selling a car won't change the reasons for doing so one iota.

cirrusly

I consider OC to be a deterrent and simultaneously a vulnerability, depending on the level brazenness and motivation of each potential criminal / threat.

For example, if a criminal sees I have a gun he/she may decide not to attempt to attack me. Conversely, the criminal sees I have a gun and I'm the first person they immediately shoot to neutralize a potential legal retaliation of deadly force.

The more secluded the situation, the more I'd prefer to OC because I hypothesize a criminal would not engage me if he/she saw my firearm.
However, in a very public, busy setting I prefer to conceal carry.

Maybe I equate this to the "element of surprise" and in my mind a criminal has a greater potential for "surprise" is a bustling busy public setting, and this I carry accordingly.

This is a very subjective decision. I see many correct answers. Ill shoot logic in my own reasoning (pun intended): In a secluded setting I could be selling my car. A potential "buyer" plans to steal it, and outright (unsuccessfully) attempts to shoot me in the head when he sees I'm open carrying. If he wouldn't have known i was armed he would've stole the car without shooting at me first.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Seeing as how Craig's List transactions generally involve the exchange of portable goods for cash, there is some risk on both sides. Conducting the transaction in the parking lot of the police station does not provide any security unless some cop inside is monitoring the transaction on CCTV and has a SWAT team on standby just inside the entrance.

The risk may be somewhat smaller for the seller than for the buyer, but it exists for both sides. Car dealerships rely on copying your DL (and maybe running a credit check) before letting you take that test drive. Unless it's a take-it-or-leave-it deal your potential purchaser is going to want to try out the vehicle and you probably are going to want to go along to make sure they bring the car back and either give you the cash or decline the purchase. That means you are going some place you do not know with someone you do not know.

Have you ever tried drawing your CC'd handgun while sitting in the front passenger seat? Do you know why some car salesmen sit in the back/behind you when you take that test drive? If your Craig's List buyer is not going to let you sit behind them you may need to OC just to be able to draw should the need arise.

I have OC'd to transactions be they private gun sales or Craig's List car sales. I have also had a trusted friend follow me as the potential buyer takes the test drive. If I had felt it necessary to tell the buyer about the security detail I would never have allowed the test drive in the first place.

It's the software as opposed to the hardware that keeps you alive.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I consider OC to be a deterrent and simultaneously a vulnerability, depending on the level brazenness and motivation of each potential criminal / threat.

For example, if a criminal sees I have a gun he/she may decide not to attempt to attack me. Conversely, the criminal sees I have a gun and I'm the first person they immediately shoot to neutralize a potential legal retaliation of deadly force.

The more secluded the situation, the more I'd prefer to OC because I hypothesize a criminal would not engage me if he/she saw my firearm.
However, in a very public, busy setting I prefer to conceal carry.

Maybe I equate this to the "element of surprise" and in my mind a criminal has a greater potential for "surprise" is a bustling busy public setting, and this I carry accordingly.

This is a very subjective decision. I see many correct answers. Ill shoot logic in my own reasoning (pun intended): In a secluded setting I could be selling my car. A potential "buyer" plans to steal it, and outright (unsuccessfully) attempts to shoot me in the head when he sees I'm open carrying. If he wouldn't have known i was armed he would've stole the car without shooting at me first.

Two major points of fail in that .

1) Never, repeat never, meet for such a transaction in an isolated/bad location - why would you do that?

2) Your repeating a myth that just doesn't happen - OCer first to be taken out. The benefits of OC out weigh the imagined detriments.

3) What is recommended is meeting in a well lighted (preferably day time), well populated parking lot and bring someone with you. Have been witness to many such sales/purchases and have not seen any with bumps in the road.

4) If it doesn't feel right at any point.....leave.

I've heard of sales taking place in front of police stations :)

EMNofSeattle

Seeing as how Craig's List transactions generally involve the exchange of portable goods for cash, there is some risk on both sides. Conducting the transaction in the parking lot of the police station does not provide any security unless some cop inside is monitoring the transaction on CCTV and has a SWAT team on standby just inside the entrance.

Yeah but how many criminals are going to attempt something in front of a police station?

the types of people who are going to attempt to carjack a 3000 dollar car off of a craigslist sale ain't exactly Einstein and Beethoven's love child.....

EMNofSeattle

That is a myth. Please do not spread it.

It is not a "myth" it's a theory that has not been tested nor searched for.

myth- a widely held but false belief or idea.

can you prove it's false that someone can shoot you first if they notice you're carrying? no you cannot.

it's rare and may never have happened, but it's possible. and just possible enough to make it a concern, hence situational awareness, watching people who get close to you, avoiding problems with possible, etc etc etc

cirrusly

Two major points of fail in that .

1) Never, repeat never, meet for such a transaction in an isolated/bad location - why would you do that?

2) Your repeating a myth that just doesn't happen - OCer first to be taken out. The benefits of OC out weigh the imagined detriments.

3) What is recommended is meeting in a well lighted (preferably day time), well populated parking lot and bring someone with you. Have been witness to many such sales/purchases and have not seen any with bumps in the road.

4) If it doesn't feel right at any point.....leave.

I've heard of sales taking place in front of police stations :)

Actually here in DC, by law all large financial transactions and transfer of property ownership are required to take place in a dimly light parking garage. :shocker:

Kind of similar to how we're by law required to register mace/pepper spray, or how we're legally required to retreat if a criminal is attempting to harm / kill us with deadly force.

EMNofSeattle

Actually here in DC, by law all large financial transactions and transfer of property ownership are required to take place in a dimly light parking garage. :shocker:

Isn't that how everyone in DC operates?

[video=youtube;vETxuL7Ij3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vETxuL7Ij3Q[/video]

Last edited:

eye95

It's a myth. The challenge is out there. Folks have searched for this mythical beast, the taker-outer of the OCer first, and cannot find him.

If you assert that it is not a myth, I suggest that you go on the Yeti hunt for yourself. Good luck.

EMNofSeattle

It's a myth. The challenge is out there. Folks have searched for this mythical beast, the taker-outer of the OCer first, and cannot find him.

If you assert that it is not a myth, I suggest that you go on the Yeti hunt for yourself. Good luck.

No, as it was phrased it is not a myth, it is a theory. or maybe not a theory, but a hypothesis.

by saying "one can see you're open carrying and take you out first" that is not a myth, it's a hypothesis, and it's possible such a thing could happen. that is not a false statement.

a myth would be saying "people have been shot first for open carrying" when it has never happened.

you're missing important context clues. the state "can happen" or "may happen" while being possible means by definition it cannot be a myth.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have sold 2 vehicles on craigslist ... 1 truck and 1 car ... no problems with either .. and quick sales

Truck in 1 day .... car in 2.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No, as it was phrased it is not a myth, it is a theory. or maybe not a theory, but a hypothesis.

by saying "one can see you're open carrying and take you out first" that is not a myth, it's a hypothesis, and it's possible such a thing could happen. that is not a false statement.

a myth would be saying "people have been shot first for open carrying" when it has never happened.

you're missing important context clues. the state "can happen" or "may happen" while being possible means by definition it cannot be a myth.

Pointless, low redemption value, argument.

We all know that a myth is being perpetuated eveytime a reference is made to Ocer(s) being the first to be neutralized.

No reason to pick at this nit.