• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC when selling a car on Craigslist?

since9

Campaign Veteran
A friend of mine asked me to accompany him, OCing, while he sold his truck to someone he'd met on Craigslist.

A week later he asked me to do the same thing, as he'd found a truck he wanted to buy, again on Craigslist.

Not a single problem either time.

eye95

Unfortunately, unless you happen to be in a Waffle House in Kennesaw, Georgia, you will likely never know if there would have been trouble were it not for the OC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

eye95

What in the world does this have to do with the price of tea in China? I was OCing in Colorado. No problems.

You didn't get it. I don't care cuz you got snarky.

Others got it. That's all that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

independence

Thanks everybody for the helpful input. In the end, the buyer OCed a pitbull that was chomping at the bit to get out of his truck and eat me and I CCed a Glock. LOL. The sale went well and I was able to get some good money for the car.

I did the sale across the street from my friend's shop and he kept a close eye out the window to make sure everything was okay.

Logan 5

4) If it doesn't feel right at any point.....leave.

I've heard of sales taking place in front of police stations :)
That is ideal. I know of one instance when a cop was asked to be present, but it was a woman selling one of her cars and she had a TRO on her ex for beating on her. So in some instances it's acceptable, and to me if I'm buying the car and the seller prefer a cop be present I figure I can either buy it or look elsewhere. In this day & age, one can never be too careful it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBqzCXlG7Sg "..you gonna have to start getting scared IMMEDIATELY" .... great movie
Awesome flic! Some folks need to learn how to get in, sit down, buckle up and zip it.

SteveM

Why do we carry a loaded firearm? To defend us or someone else from serious bodily harm or death.
What would a bad guy try to do during the sale of a vehicle? Steal from you.

Selling a vehicle to a stranger doesn't put you at a high risk of serious bodily harm or death, but if that was your expectation then you'd be pretty dumb to knowingly walk into that kind of danger. If the guy points a gun/knife at you and says to get out of the car then get your butt out of the car and call 911. My insurance deductible is the same regardless of if the vehicle was stolen or if all of the upholstery has to be replaced to remove the blood stains, and I can't guarantee that all of the blood stains would be his. If he's the seller and you're loaded with cash now you have to decide if you should hand over the cash or try to kill him before he gets you.

Carrying CC means you only get to react to bad people when a life is in danger, carrying OC means you will probably make the bad guy rethink his dumb plan. That said, I carry CC and when I sold my truck on CL for $15.5k I was CC the whole time and was very comfortable with being around the buyer. Around here a CHL is required for OC and I've never seen someone OC so for me to do so could turn a simple business transaction into a visit from the Gestapo. I like to pick my battles, and that is a battle for another day.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A right unexercised is a right lost.

Why do we carry a loaded firearm? To defend us or someone else from serious bodily harm or death.
What would a bad guy try to do during the sale of a vehicle? Steal from you.

Selling a vehicle to a stranger doesn't put you at a high risk of serious bodily harm or death, but if that was your expectation then you'd be pretty dumb to knowingly walk into that kind of danger. If the guy points a gun/knife at you and says to get out of the car then get your butt out of the car and call 911. My insurance deductible is the same regardless of if the vehicle was stolen or if all of the upholstery has to be replaced to remove the blood stains, and I can't guarantee that all of the blood stains would be his. If he's the seller and you're loaded with cash now you have to decide if you should hand over the cash or try to kill him before he gets you.

Carrying CC means you only get to react to bad people when a life is in danger, carrying OC means you will probably make the bad guy rethink his dumb plan. That said, I carry CC and when I sold my truck on CL for $15.5k I was CC the whole time and was very comfortable with being around the buyer. Around here a CHL is required for OC and I've never seen someone OC so for me to do so could turn a simple business transaction into a visit from the Gestapo. I like to pick my battles, and that is a battle for another day.

If we knew when and where bad things were going to happen, we could quite simply avoid the situation entirely. That is not the case when meeting a stranger, who incidentally may have no interest in buying or selling.

If you fear police response so much maybe you'd be better to avoid all interaction in public. This is a battle for today lest there be no tomorrow.

SteveM

If you fear police response so much maybe you'd be better to avoid all interaction in public. This is a battle for today lest there be no tomorrow.
You kinda missed the point. When I take a few hours to meet up with a buyer I want the transaction to go smoothly and be respectful of their time, part of that is not showing up in the nude as that turns a business transaction into a statement on 1A rights. Along the same lines, it would be just as bad for me personally as a citizen of Beaverton, OR to choose to OC for that business transaction. This isn't saying don't stand up for your 2A rights, it is saying that for some of us a little discretion for a few hours may be the wise course of action. Everyone else is in different situation with different laws which is why I said I chose to CC even though I think you'd be better served by OC in that situation.

I do fear police response as I have to show my CHL to keep from getting a ride to jail and the police chief is from CA so no doubt he's got some strange ideas about what rights the people have. Two weeks ago in a city council meeting while someone was complaining about a red light ticket he referred to a city ordinance that made it illegal to enter an intersection on a yellow light. His point being that even if the person could get out of getting caught in the intersection when the light turned red they'd still be guilty of entering on a yellow. Ladies and gents, there is no such ordinance and it just doesn't pass the common sense test, yet not one member of city council asked him to clarify that wild claim.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You kinda missed the point. When I take a few hours to meet up with a buyer I want the transaction to go smoothly and be respectful of their time, part of that is not showing up in the nude as that turns a business transaction into a statement on 1A rights. Along the same lines, it would be just as bad for me personally as a citizen of Beaverton, OR to choose to OC for that business transaction. This isn't saying don't stand up for your 2A rights, it is saying that for some of us a little discretion for a few hours may be the wise course of action. Everyone else is in different situation with different laws which is why I said I chose to CC even though I think you'd be better served by OC in that situation.

I do fear police response as I have to show my CHL to keep from getting a ride to jail and the police chief is from CA so no doubt he's got some strange ideas about what rights the people have. Two weeks ago in a city council meeting while someone was complaining about a red light ticket he referred to a city ordinance that made it illegal to enter an intersection on a yellow light. His point being that even if the person could get out of getting caught in the intersection when the light turned red they'd still be guilty of entering on a yellow. Ladies and gents, there is no such ordinance and it just doesn't pass the common sense test, yet not one member of city council asked him to clarify that wild claim.

I recognize personal choices and most assuredly you are entitled to yours.

eye95

Don't make the assumption that OC is a 2A statement. Sometimes OC is just carry, often the only available form of carry. Yes the more we OC, the more carry becomes normalized, helping to restore the RKBA. However, the primary reason for OC is still to have a gun handy.

Bernymac

You may think he missed the point but, I think you may be on the wrong forum. This is a forum for the advocacy and the promotion of OPEN CARRY. We want the sight of a holstered firearm in plain view of the sheep to be a normal everyday occurence. Your fears are something we want to disappear.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I do fear police response as I have to show my CHL to keep from getting a ride to jail .

Get over it, you are not breaking the law.

Don't make the assumption that OC is a 2A statement. Sometimes OC is just carry, often the only available form of carry. Yes the more we OC, the more carry becomes normalized, helping to restore the RKBA. However, the primary reason for OC is still to have a gun handy.

This (bold) is Truth!! I wear my weapon for self defense. The rest is icing on my cake. I like to teach, I like to let people know they can OC too.

girlwithaglock

Hello from Nebraska! I realize your incident already occurred, but just in case years from now someone is reserching and comes across this thread... :)
I'm a female who is pretty small. I open carry every CL deal I do...safety first! No one has seemed to have a problem with it, so I'd suggest trying.
I think any situation regarding craigslists should involve OC or CCW...but I've also recently OC on two blind dates... :lol:

UtzChips

What are the advantages/disadvantages of open carrying when selling a car to a Craigslist buyer? I will be meeting the buyer at a third party location and am going to try to take someone with me, but what about OCing? I can't decide if OCing will work to my advantage by being a deterrent if they intend to harm me, or if I am going to scare off my potential buyer...:question:

I rented an apartment in upstate N.Y.......met with the owner 3 times before finalizing the agreement. It was only when we met to sign the K that he was dressed in his uniform ..........he was the 1st Sergeant of the city police dept. That was one Bad Ass handgun on his hip!

UtzChips

Hello from Nebraska! I realize your incident already occurred, but just in case years from now someone is reserching and comes across this thread... :)
I'm a female who is pretty small. I open carry every CL deal I do...safety first! No one has seemed to have a problem with it, so I'd suggest trying.
I think any situation regarding craigslists should involve OC or CCW...but I've also recently OC on two blind dates... :lol:

I would never have a problem dating a "pretty small female" .......even if she OC'd with a weapon on each hip, CL'd a snubnose on her ankle [although I would prefer she had worn a dress] and found her to have cuffs on the back of her slacks.

No problem here.........none......ever.

RK3369

Last edited: