Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How often do you shoot?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dobson, N.C.
    Posts
    6

    How often do you shoot?

    I know I'm as guilty as anyone for not being diligent in practicing as often as I should. Normally I try and shoot my firearm at least once a week. Sometimes life prevents me from getting in the practice i need.

    I was wondering what the general consensus was as to the frequency most make into the range.
    Last edited by BriKW; 08-28-2013 at 06:45 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Jamesm760's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    430
    I go to the range 1-2 times a month.
    I shoot in backyard when ever I feel like it

    But I make sure to do at least minimum 50 pistol rounds a week, thats when I can't really get any ammo at Wally and I have to buy expensive ammo at gun shops. When I do have ammo I do 100 pistol rounds per week.
    Last edited by Jamesm760; 08-28-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    SIC VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

    μολὼν λαβέ - molṑn labé - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - COME AND TAKE!!!!

  3. #3
    Regular Member shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Fountain CO
    Posts
    58

    How often do you shoot?

    I typically go 1-2 times a week. Probably expend more ammo than I should but reload so that helps my frequency.

  4. #4
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585

    Re: How often do you shoot?

    Actual rounds fired, 1-3 times weekly. Training with snapcaps or dummy guns, daily. But I have the advantage of working in the industry and being semi-retired.

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by DamonK; 08-29-2013 at 03:11 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dobson, N.C.
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm760 View Post
    I go to the range 1-2 times a month.
    I shoot in backyard when ever I feel like it

    But I make sure to do at least minimum 50 pistol rounds a week, thats when I can't really get any ammo at Wally and I have to buy expensive ammo at gun shops. When I do have ammo I do 100 pistol rounds per week.
    That sounds simular to me. My normal day at the range involves me sending 100 rounds min down range. About 250 rounds of 5.56 NATO also. It's difficult with the rigors of work some weeks.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    FYI .. US Army requires once every 6 months to maintain proficiency ....

  7. #7
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    FYI .. US Army requires once every 6 months to maintain proficiency ....
    And we all agree that is sufficient, right?

    I'd be more interested in what the special forces consider sufficient training - not that I consider myself anywhere near that league, but seems much more likely to be a realistic level of training than what the batallion clerk has to do to be deemed "proficient". Might also be interesting to see if the Army has different requirements when near or during deployment...
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    And we all agree that is sufficient, right?

    I'd be more interested in what the special forces consider sufficient training - not that I consider myself anywhere near that league, but seems much more likely to be a realistic level of training than what the batallion clerk has to do to be deemed "proficient". Might also be interesting to see if the Army has different requirements when near or during deployment...
    Actually I think it is sufficient ... I only go out about that frequency .. I shoot just as well as I did during the extensive training period .... once you have a gun down to its mechanics, quirks, sighting, etc..you don't need to go out that often.

    One you have proficiency once then every 6 mo. is fine for some people. I doubt people go out and train like special forces ... with most people. There are simply no facilities to do that for the vast majority of people (to train like they do). They are professional shooters basically. I would think that civilian professional shooters shoot their guns as often as special forces folks do.

  9. #9
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Actually I think it is sufficient ... I only go out about that frequency .. I shoot just as well as I did during the extensive training period .... once you have a gun down to its mechanics, quirks, sighting, etc..you don't need to go out that often.

    One you have proficiency once then every 6 mo. is fine for some people. I doubt people go out and train like special forces ... with most people. There are simply no facilities to do that for the vast majority of people (to train like they do). They are professional shooters basically. I would think that civilian professional shooters shoot their guns as often as special forces folks do.
    I think you are missing my point - proficiency is about more than accuracy. If you consider being proficient with your firearm to mean being able to put x rounds inside of a y" circle then fine, but to me that is only the barest of beginnings.

    Again, not saying you have to shoot or train as much as a professional shooter or special forces but a handful of rounds every 6 months does not make you proficient in my mind. To be proficient you must train and practice more than just target shooting regularly - clearing malfunctions, reload drills, move-and-shoot, shooting from cover, weak-hand drills, target identification, drawing from carry position, drawing from concealment (if you carry that way) wearing the same clothing you typically wear, using the same weapons you typically carry, using the holster or method of carry you typically use, and more - and doing all of that with good sight picture, trigger control, follow-through, etc.

    It is a fact of life that if you don't maintain skills they degrade, so you must regularly train and practice to keep the same level of proficiency as you currently possess. A box of ammo at a stationary target every 6 months doesn't cut it in my opinion, and honestly I think you do yourself a disservice if that is the extent of your proficiency.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  10. #10
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Who wants to know? NSA? CIA? FBI? DHS? TSA?

    Or All of the above?
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •