• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How often do you shoot?

BriKW

I know I'm as guilty as anyone for not being diligent in practicing as often as I should. Normally I try and shoot my firearm at least once a week. Sometimes life prevents me from getting in the practice i need.

I was wondering what the general consensus was as to the frequency most make into the range.

Last edited:

Jamesm760

I go to the range 1-2 times a month.
I shoot in backyard when ever I feel like it :banana:

But I make sure to do at least minimum 50 pistol rounds a week, thats when I can't really get any ammo at Wally and I have to buy expensive ammo at gun shops. When I do have ammo I do 100 pistol rounds per week.

Last edited:

shaun

I typically go 1-2 times a week. Probably expend more ammo than I should but reload so that helps my frequency.

DamonK

Actual rounds fired, 1-3 times weekly. Training with snapcaps or dummy guns, daily. But I have the advantage of working in the industry and being semi-retired.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BriKW

I go to the range 1-2 times a month.
I shoot in backyard when ever I feel like it :banana:

But I make sure to do at least minimum 50 pistol rounds a week, thats when I can't really get any ammo at Wally and I have to buy expensive ammo at gun shops. When I do have ammo I do 100 pistol rounds per week.

That sounds simular to me. My normal day at the range involves me sending 100 rounds min down range. About 250 rounds of 5.56 NATO also. It's difficult with the rigors of work some weeks.

JustaShooter

FYI .. US Army requires once every 6 months to maintain proficiency ....

And we all agree that is sufficient, right? :rolleyes:

I'd be more interested in what the special forces consider sufficient training - not that I consider myself anywhere near that league, but seems much more likely to be a realistic level of training than what the batallion clerk has to do to be deemed "proficient". Might also be interesting to see if the Army has different requirements when near or during deployment...

davidmcbeth

Banned
And we all agree that is sufficient, right? :rolleyes:

I'd be more interested in what the special forces consider sufficient training - not that I consider myself anywhere near that league, but seems much more likely to be a realistic level of training than what the batallion clerk has to do to be deemed "proficient". Might also be interesting to see if the Army has different requirements when near or during deployment...

Actually I think it is sufficient ... I only go out about that frequency .. I shoot just as well as I did during the extensive training period .... once you have a gun down to its mechanics, quirks, sighting, etc..you don't need to go out that often.

One you have proficiency once then every 6 mo. is fine for some people. I doubt people go out and train like special forces ... with most people. There are simply no facilities to do that for the vast majority of people (to train like they do). They are professional shooters basically. I would think that civilian professional shooters shoot their guns as often as special forces folks do.

JustaShooter

Actually I think it is sufficient ... I only go out about that frequency .. I shoot just as well as I did during the extensive training period .... once you have a gun down to its mechanics, quirks, sighting, etc..you don't need to go out that often.

One you have proficiency once then every 6 mo. is fine for some people. I doubt people go out and train like special forces ... with most people. There are simply no facilities to do that for the vast majority of people (to train like they do). They are professional shooters basically. I would think that civilian professional shooters shoot their guns as often as special forces folks do.

I think you are missing my point - proficiency is about more than accuracy. If you consider being proficient with your firearm to mean being able to put x rounds inside of a y" circle then fine, but to me that is only the barest of beginnings.

Again, not saying you have to shoot or train as much as a professional shooter or special forces but a handful of rounds every 6 months does not make you proficient in my mind. To be proficient you must train and practice more than just target shooting regularly - clearing malfunctions, reload drills, move-and-shoot, shooting from cover, weak-hand drills, target identification, drawing from carry position, drawing from concealment (if you carry that way) wearing the same clothing you typically wear, using the same weapons you typically carry, using the holster or method of carry you typically use, and more - and doing all of that with good sight picture, trigger control, follow-through, etc.

It is a fact of life that if you don't maintain skills they degrade, so you must regularly train and practice to keep the same level of proficiency as you currently possess. A box of ammo at a stationary target every 6 months doesn't cut it in my opinion, and honestly I think you do yourself a disservice if that is the extent of your proficiency.